Red lights on EHC?

Mikeinjersey

When you install the new one put it in the same position as the one you removed. If you didn't mark the one you removed put it back in and see if you can see scars or clues as to it's original position so you can make clear marks to follow when you install the new one. The sensor triggers your coil which is why it's important to be as close to original as possible so your timing is good.

Mikeinjersey

It's hard to say but I wouldn't throw the EHC away. You need to check the wires back to the ehc because that is where the ignition module gets it's power. Check the red and black wires that connect to the 4pin connector on the Ign Module. Red is power and black is ground. Check for physical damage and continuity back to the EHC.

LittleMike

Supporting Member
I got 12.90 on the meter. The new ehc has 2 blue lights on which I think is normal and it blinks the starter status red led, so good there to.

Mikeinjersey

I would assume the EHC is good and capable of putting out the voltage to power the Ignition Module. If you got the Axel EHC check any paperwork that came with it or contact Axel himself and ask what you should be seeing on the EHC when you turn the key on.
The red light on the ignition should be lit after and sometimes even before the Run button is selected. If it doesn't light either it is not getting power and ground or it's smoked.

LittleMike

Supporting Member
1 LED tells you if the bikes not charging, 2nd LED tells you if the battery is between 8 and 18 volts and the third LED tells you if it's overcharging. I do not know who axle is, do you have contact info if I need to contact him? I might actually have to post this question on Facebook and sift through the 5,000 stupid answers until I find one that makes sense. Isn't there a place you can send your Thunderheart to have it tested?

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
1 LED tells you if the bikes not charging, 2nd LED tells you if the battery is between 8 and 18 volts and the third LED tells you if it's overcharging. I do not know who axle is, do you have contact info if I need to contact him? I might actually have to post this question on Facebook and sift through the 5,000 stupid answers until I find one that makes sense. Isn't there a place you can send your Thunderheart to have it tested?
Don’t know if anyone does the testing on the Thunderheart EHC maybe Curtis @ WSW. But Derek @ bigdogpartskingpin has a few of the original test modules for doing it. I believe he has a few left in his stock.

Mikeinjersey

He is a member and manufactures replacement EHC's for Big Dog bikes. If this link doesn't work look him up under members. You can send him a private message. He will be happy to help you out. I believe on his EHC one of the led's indicates power to the ignition when the key is turned on. If so ask him which one so you can verify.
As far as testing the Ign Module, I don't know of a way to test it other than installing it in a different bike to see what happens. Someone else on this site may know of a way. You could ask Curtis. The manual for an 07 k9 says the best way to troubleshoot the module is by eliminating other causes until it's the only thing left.
Unplug the EHC and the ignition module and read continuity between the red wire on the IM and pin#14 of the EHC then read the black wire on the IM to pin 37 of the EHC. Disconnect your neg side of the battery so you don't inadvertently short something out while you playing with the wires.

CORRECTION !!!! When I looked at the wire diagram the pins were different than I read on the sheet. The black wire is the ground for the IM and is pin #37 but the power from the EHC is on pin #14.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rottweiler

LittleMike
If you need a new Ignition Module There are a few choices. S&S HI-4, Ultima 53-644, Power House plus 17579
This is what I put on my 2004 107 chop. But I'm cheap. It has been working great.
1628967367487.png

1628967325763.png

LittleMike

Supporting Member
LittleMike
If you need a new Ignition Module There are a few choices. S&S HI-4, Ultima 53-644, Power House plus 17579
This is what I put on my 2004 107 chop. But I'm cheap. It has been working great.
View attachment 89377

View attachment 89376

Thanks Rot
LittleMike
View attachment 89377

View attachment 89376

thanks Rottweiler!! What year and model Harley do i pick?