Do you park your dog in nuetral?

Energy One

Do you park your dog in Nuetral?

• Total voters

JeffShoots

I've been riding too long about 22 years. With all my bikes (3 right now) including a Hooters Race bike it's all the same and just picked up a nice raked '89 FXR :flag:

Parked in First always, Gas off, foot all my kickstands and I'm 6'4".

I always like to let the Harley style bikes warm up in the sun so I'll kick it in Nuteral, gas on, start, and let it warm.

With the newer FI bikes, pull in the clutch and start. I than idel around the subdivision to warm.

Here is another one. I always stop at a light with the bike in first and only put my left foot down, right foot on the brake.
I see so many Guys stop with both feet down like a duck waddel :job: what if you stop on a hill and you look :rolleyes:

Through training and experience I always keep the bike in 1st when parked.
1. It will not roll
2. A drunk stumbling from the bar walks into it, it will not roll and fall.
3. If parked on an incline or slippery area, when you straddle it, it will not roll away from you.

As long as you are in the habit of squeezing in the clutch before you start any motorcycle, (which is a good safe habit to have) then you will never have a problem.

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
What is it about the duck waddle that everyone dislikes? I guess I do the waddle a little but I like to have both feet down because I usually have the wife on and it is a sturdier base I guess.She isn't the most still person on the back and often have to correct her movements with my feet.:hi:
Are there other techniques to do that?

I've been riding too long about 22 years. With all my bikes (3 right now) including a Hooters Race bike it's all the same and just picked up a nice raked '89 FXR :flag:

Parked in First always, Gas off, foot all my kickstands and I'm 6'4".

I always like to let the Harley style bikes warm up in the sun so I'll kick it in Nuteral, gas on, start, and let it warm.

With the newer FI bikes, pull in the clutch and start. I than idel around the subdivision to warm.

Here is another one. I always stop at a light with the bike in first and only put my left foot down, right foot on the brake.
I see so many Guys stop with both feet down like a duck waddel :job: what if you stop on a hill and you look :rolleyes:

Brew

Troop Supporter
Same with me only park it in gear when on an incline or decline. I to pull the clutch in when starting, force of habit I guess!

humpty2032

damn...so sometimes they dont start and sometimes the start all on their own??? i have always parked in nutral because i have a a habit of starting my bike while i stand next to it. then give it a minute to warm up. well i now see that its a bad habbit as there is no starter kill if its in gear. lucky for me i was sitting on it when it lunged forward.

Well pretty much everytime for safety! About the only time I do not, is if I park it on a hill and want to help prevent it from rolling backwards (but that was not on the poll).
I do everytime except when parked on a hil as Fibersnake mentioned.

Also when it is being hauled in the trailer, it is always in neutral. Rocking back and forth while strapped down can break gears.
That pretty much covers me
:cheers:

MadMarx

Makes me think about the reason why most of us leave our bikes in neutral... it has been known for them to try starting when you are away from the bike... if in gear... OOPS it lunges forward and goes boom!
Ok, I'm new here and new to big dogs.
I'm confused and would like a little more detail please.:confused:
Is there some electrical glitch or are you just saying that under strange circumstances, say parked in gear facing down hill, the bike could roll forward enough to actually jump start the bike? Seriously, that's possible? I've always parked my bikes in gear because I thought it was safer. Just in case some douche bag got on it while I was away it wouldn't roll off too easy.
:cheers:

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
No in 2004-05 they had some problems with the hand controls and such. The bike would actually try starting on its own. As if the key was in and on. There were a few guys that had this happen.

ed512

No in 2004-05 they had some problems with the hand controls and such. The bike would actually try starting on its own. As if the key was in and on. There were a few guys that had this happen.
Well that would be one sure way of ruining your day!!!!!......:cursin::cursin::cursin:

Sorry Gas, I'd have to disagree, I believe the problem was actually within the EHCs!

And they didn't try to actually start, but however, the EHCs did send full voltage to the starter trigger wire and the starters did what they were supposed to do, it started cranking! :eek: :down: :loony:

And it really didn't matter which button you pushed, the buttons were inactive, because there was no key on, more less even any key in many of the ignitions! :eek: :loony:

So if the bike was in gear, it started moving. :down:

Some of the bikes were possessed back then! :eek: :whoop: :nono: :lol:

dead :D :cheers:

KROGOTH

I always park my K-9 in neutral...I made the mistake of looking uncool with a start in gear...:bang: one thing to add I carry a side stand support thingy (plastic HD part).. you know the thing that you put under the stand when parked... one because it keeps the chrome stand from getting beat up and keeps my bike from falling.. (the stand sinking into the surface).. Seen a Chopper on it's side that fell on 2 other bikes while parked on a Toy's for tots run...because the bike sank into the pavement.....anybody else seen / heard of this happening?.....:confused:
When I first visited the dealer where I bougth my bike, I saw a nice deep
hole in the ground where one of his bikes tilted due to the weight into
the ground. Since then I always had that imprinted in my mind. I bought
a device that attaches to the number plate that slides out ot the bottom a steel rectangle that I use for the stand. When done I just slide it back in.
Simple as that, no need to carry nothing around:cheers:

onaprwl

Onaprwl
Never ride in the rain, never wash the electrical. Rims, tires lower frame only. Solves the electrical problems.:D

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
Never ride in the rain, never wash the electrical. Rims, tires lower frame only. Solves the electrical problems.:D
Change out the EHC with a Wire Plus. Solves the electrical problems. Bet there have been no "ghost starters" with a Wire Plus.........or have there?:cheers::whoop::cheers:

Adrian2551

I park mine in neutral because I once tried starting in while I was standing next to it and it jumped forward and almost went down. The scrape/bruise on my right calf from the rear peg mount only took a few weeks to go away. I was lucky that that's all the damage that occured. I did the same thing once after getting gas while sitting on it. It was a little embarrasing.

I turn the gas off and have forgotten once. I was able to reach down and turn it on before it completely stalled out.

I ran out of gas once, so now I get gas between 80 and 100 miles.

My old Kawasaki Meanstreak kickstand melted about 1/2 an inch in the hot blacktop once. I may get one of those extensions you guys are talking about.

I have never heard of Big Dogs starting on their own. The closest I have come is when my wife called and said the headlight and turn signals started flashing on their own. Did I have a close call with a "ghost start"?

I also always plug the battery tender in.

Buster03

never park in neutral evry time I start the bike I hold the clutch in even if I put it back in neutral it gets oil to the clutch pads quicker. plus safety