Energy One

Do you park your dog in Nuetral?

• Total voters

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I wish I could get it in neutral. After Saturday this might happen since it is going to the shop for a check up! TBD is gonna make our doggie well!
Maybe you'll get Shannon to work on it. He has been there for 8 yrs I think and is real good. He rebuilt my front end before I took off cross country earlier this year.
Let us know what he finds,
Ray

Dray

I voted no why and then read all the replies. I never thought about it trying to start? Makes sense though, I have seen electric forklifts hauled in the rain with the battery connected that without warning while going down the road the forks raise up in the air, Can be hell on overpasses !

BorgerBigDog

BORN TEXAN
Park in neutral,garage,Lift,Trailer,In gear on a hill... :2thumbs: When warming up i stay with it, seems to want to move without me... :cheers:

mato_13

dont call me junior!
Um, ........the bike will start, itself? ........interesting. This is kind of retarded........... Are you pulling my leg? How is this possible with the key out or even off? This is kind of a BF problem! anyway, I guess you learn something everyday, thats why i follow this site!

Im still a little bumfuzzled..... But if its on here it must be gospel. thanks again guys and girls.

Would you guys be interested in me designing a simple to install neutral safety switch for you? Would make it where the starter would not engage unless the bike is in neutral.

I wired one up on a 2006 K-9 but it did not have a BDM EHC in it. I may have to do something different for the Big Dog System.

This should be something simple enough that I would just post the details on how to pick up some simple parts from your local parts store and install it yourself. I bet I could also provide the parts with simple instructions. I wouldn't imagine the one I would build would be much more than $15-$20.

Let me know if you guys are interested and I will get with a buddy that has a BDM to test a prototype and then get you the details.

I should be able to wire this so you can add an RF ID security system very easily at the same time. It would kill the starter unless you were near it with the RF ID FOB. This unfortunately is something I would have to buy separate and integrate into the design and they are not cheap.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
Would you guys be interested in me designing a simple to install neutral safety switch for you? Would make it where the starter would not engage unless the bike is in neutral.

I wired one up on a 2006 K-9 but it did not have a BDM EHC in it. I may have to do something different for the Big Dog System.

This should be something simple enough that I would just post the details on how to pick up some simple parts from your local parts store and install it yourself. I bet I could also provide the parts with simple instructions. I wouldn't imagine the one I would build would be much more than $15-$20.

Let me know if you guys are interested and I will get with a buddy that has a BDM to test a prototype and then get you the details.

I should be able to wire this so you can add an RF ID security system very easily at the same time. It would kill the starter unless you were near it with the RF ID FOB. This unfortunately is something I would have to buy separate and integrate into the design and they are not cheap.
NO.....

BorgerBigDog

BORN TEXAN
Night Train that might be a good idea for beginner riders. ( My wife is learning to ride)I would feel a little at ease with that installed, also would take more time for a thief to figure it out, which could be the time to kick his sorry ass!!!:2thumbs: :cheers: :2thumbs: !!!PEACE OUT !!!

Eric

Banned
if bike were to die while driving you hould have to shift to neutral to restart, now you can just squeze clutch & refire bike while on the go

Baby Ray

well i voted yes unless rolling away, it's not a dogg its a fish does that count if not just delete my vote I will understand:cheers:

newbie dog

Ghost start...

Where can I get more information about the dog lunging forward? Last week my dad found his bike on it's side in the garage. My dad owns an 08 K-9 w/less than 300 miles on it. The dealer tried to tell him that the vibration from the garage door knocked it off the kick stand :confused: The dog weighs 700 lbs :rant: , and my dad's floor has no vibration when closing the door. In my opinion BDM should warranty the damage...has anyone went to BDM on this issue?

From now on dad will park the dog in neutral :D

Thanks for the help!

PurpleDog

Where can I get more information about the dog lunging forward? Last week my dad found his bike on it's side in the garage. My dad owns an 08 K-9 w/less than 300 miles on it. The dealer tried to tell him that the vibration from the garage door knocked it off the kick stand :confused: The dog weighs 700 lbs :rant: , and my dad's floor has no vibration when closing the door. In my opinion BDM should warranty the damage...has anyone went to BDM on this issue?

From now on dad will park the dog in neutral :D

Thanks for the help!
Did the dealer mention an earth quake in Utah or something? Curious which side it was laying on (not that it probably matters too much since none of us were there to see how that happened obviously). Which way does he turn his handlebars when parked (weight on or off stand). I knocked my bike over once (with the bars to the right) while polishing a wheel. Luckily it just leaned up against another car against my touring bag (no damage). Point being that it matters (course he prolly knows that too i imagine). My concrete floor is pretty thick; but I've never seen a standard 4" slab vibrate a bike over while closing a door. Maybe if a semi happened to be driving through his garage at the same time...:D
I don't know any details about specifically the question of starter being energized on its own; I'm curious though and know there are more subject matter experts within.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
There were some problems before with dogs trying to start on their own. I believe it was a hand control board issue. This is why most of us keep the dogs in nuetral when parked. At least then it wouldn't lurge forward and off the side stand..boom. This is probably what happened to his unless he just didn't have the kickstand engaged well enough.

Further, at least up here in michigan most driveways/garages are 6" concrete which would further make the vibrate over story HIGHLY unlikely!

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
I can't help but wonder, has a Big Dog with a WP ever tried to start by itself? Is this issue strictly related to the EHC? Just food for thought. :cheers::whoop::cheers:

myanoch

I am all over the place most times i have it in neutral
I use to use my foot for kick stand but after one onf my budies drove the bike ,he used his hand i started doing that its easier on the bike
I shut fuel off always at home
I uses to shut it off when stopping till one day had wife with me at the bar pulled out in busy area and the bike started spitting , not good
If I have one mental problem its getting back on bike after stopping and putting fuel on
I feel like making a kill switch for the power from battery and installing a solenoid to shut gas off when power to bike is off

Blades

After learning the hard way on my heritage, I sit on the bike pull the clutch and then start it up, and everytime with out fail. It was an expesive mistake LOL.