Which Open Primary?

Big Ron

Not the best of Pic's but here's the Karata 4" on a limited edition. The reason I suggest the 4" is besides the torque and looks - it aligns extremly with the pegs and foot levers - a profile look....will post a pic showing that later...
Thanks guy's for the feedback.

Staffy, question? Have you ever had your pants leg or chaps caught in that Karata. Hell has anyone else for that matter. Got to ask cause I ain't ever rode with an open belt.

Moespeeds

I've had no issues with my Ultima, and it gets a lot of comments. The guy who made mine uses an Ultima clutch basket and custom machines the rest. He can do any offset. My buddy got his pant leg caught when riding mine one night and it tore up his jeans. I have little clips on my boots that keep my pant leg from flapping around. I also have extended forward controls which helps a lot.

Staffy

Ron,
I have not had any trouble with pants/chaps. Have heard similar concerns before but that's a myth to me (so far):lol: :lol:

Just appears "dangerous" but in my opinion its perfectly safe - just don't drink and drive :lol: :lol:

waykool

Banned
Is that a BDL open primary, looks like it? Not sure if BDL makes a 4" or not. Yours might be different depending on when you put yours on and what was available at the time.
You are correct. It is a BDL and yes it's not quite 4". Its 14mm by 85mm wide (3-3/8”).

Here is the info if you are interested in this style.

BDL Top Fuel 1000 Belt Drive
Catalog # BDL TF-1000 (Year 1990 to 2006) (Belt BDL-14-85)
Description:BDL’s new monster (ALL BILLET) “TOP FUEL STREET DRIVE” is ready for action. The all-new 14mm by 85mm wide (3-3/8”) belt is the same that the Top Fuel racers use on the 600-plus-horsepower machines.
The newly designed Kevlar clutch consists of varying spring pressure to accommodate any size motor on the market. The all-new hub is made from 7075 aluminum and then hard-anodized for superior strength. We offer two kits, both of which are designed for oil filter mounting in the motor plate. The TF-1000 is the complete drive with side guard. The TF-2000 is the complete drive with outboard bearing support. The outboard support plate is reversible. The back side is channeled for another distinct look, but just the flat side will be polished.
Made in the USA

DB2 Outlet Transmissions,Motorcycles

Staffy

That BDL will not work for you (K9 '07) - you will need a primary for RSD....not too many out there. Have you taken the plunge...it's the holidays you need to treat yourself, and treat yourself well :up: :up:
(do the Karata gig - been there, done that - now HAPPY STAFFY)

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Have been looking for a while, and like a lot of the different brands that will work with the 07 K-9. Consider the Limited Edition blacked out theme. I'm considering the Baker SBD and I'm on the fence between black or chrome.

Would love to get your ladies and gentlemen's opinion.
BAKER Drivetrain | BAKER Synchronous Belt Drive for Softail
Ron, just make sure you understand that your bike requires a specific primary designed to fit the Baker RSD DSSC system. All these posts showing primaries for 04 and older bikes won't fit yours.

I rode with Salior in Arizona earlier this year and he had the Baker open primary (he had it chromed) and I was really suprised in how quiet it was. The noise is one of the issues I have with open primaries but a lot of it is related to the clutch.

Here is a thread on three different brands that will fit your bike.
http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/drive-train/2118-rsd-open-primary-help.html

:cheers:

Big Ron

Haven't bought one yet. Thanks all for the feedback. Right now I have eight months left on my warranty. I am going to run that out first then I will probably do it after that. Right now I'm looking hard at the Baker polished with black bone bearing support but going with the Baker is not set in stone. I only want to do it once and I want to do it right. I have not heard the Baker setup before but have heard a few Karatas and one other that I can't remember for sure if it was a BDL or something else.

Raywood, thanks. I will have to check with BD and Baker and hear what they have to say on fit and model number.

Take care and have a wonderful Christmas all.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Haven't bought one yet. Thanks all for the feedback. Right now I have eight months left on my warranty. I am going to run that out first then I will probably do it after that. Right now I'm looking hard at the Baker polished with black bone bearing support but going with the Baker is not set in stone. I only want to do it once and I want to do it right. I have not heard the Baker setup before but have heard a few Karatas and one other that I can't remember for sure if it was a BDL or something else.

Raywood, thanks. I will have to check with BD and Baker and hear what they have to say on fit and model number.

Take care and have a wonderful Christmas all.
Hey, contact Sailor on here also and ask him anything you want. He has the complete setup and had it chromed too. It's very quiet. I think that Karata system is very clean looking also!

Merry Christmas

Moespeeds

Is the only difference for RSD the offset, or is the tranny shaft different? If it's just the offset, it's only a matter of machining the motor plate?

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Is the only difference for RSD the offset, or is the tranny shaft different? If it's just the offset, it's only a matter of machining the motor plate?
Moe, your bike is basically a regular HD unit except for the ofset. The 05's were introduced with the Baker DSSC system which places the starter not on top of the tranny but behind it hence the different looking primary covers.

The Baker unit allows you to change out the starter externally. The HD system requires you to remove the primary cover to change the starter.

The Baker DSSC is very different from the HD style unit.
Here is the DSSC:

And here is the Harley style unit:

bruce

I just installed a 4" KRATA open primary. i did it myself and it was pretty straight forward. I like the aluminum because it is fixable, if you nick it you can buff it out. I only road it a couple block because it is 30 degree here, but only noises I hear was whining from the belt, which I am going to check but I am pretty sure is normal, I did get outer bearing support.

Loafington

I just installed a 4" KRATA open primary. i did it myself and it was pretty straight forward. I like the aluminum because it is fixable, if you nick it you can buff it out. I only road it a couple block because it is 30 degree here, but only noises I hear was whining from the belt, which I am going to check but I am pretty sure is normal, I did get outer bearing support.

Bruce,
Do you have any pictures?
If you could change anything with the unit, what would you do?
What was the most difficult part of the install (if any?)

Thanks

Slider

I nicked my 3 inch primo clutch basket cover enough to not go any wider. Have to send it outta state to get the billet rechromed $$. I don't make left turns anymore

Attachments

Moespeeds

Run an OBS for sure. Are those Harley rotors?

So Ray if you changed to an old style starter, could you use any belt drive? Or is the tranny in a different position? Looks like the top cover on the tranny might interfere? Not trying to be a pest, just curious.

Last edited:
C

chaingunner

I want to get one next year, thinking the Karata 3", any one tell me what the standard is to keep your pant legs out of these brutes? I've only heard stories....

C

chaingunner

Sweet, I kinda thought that....but didn't want to discard it and be the one ass with out one pant leg.... :)