Which Open Primary?

Energy One

dog1

c'mon, go with a bigger belt drive!!! just messin with you.. i did look at smaller width belts but they just did not look right...having the smaller belt made my bike look out of balance because of the pipes stuck out more on the right than the belt on the left. my 2 cents. 4" Karata belt drive.

N8KAM

Tough choice..... It looks like the outer bearing support is sold separate.. I might get the chrome belt drive and add the Black support.. :2thumbs:

barhopper

Another round please
BDL with outer support here. No problems. Makes some noise when in neutral with clutch let out, pull it in, noise goes away. No big thing.

07bigdog

07BIGDOG
I would go with the chrome to show off the black belt and offset the rest of the black bike. I would also go with the wider 4" belt.

waykool

Banned
c'mon, go with a bigger belt drive!!! just messin with you.. i did look at smaller width belts but they just did not look right...having the smaller belt made my bike look out of balance because of the pipes stuck out more on the right than the belt on the left. my 2 cents. 4" Karata belt drive.
Yes.... By all meens go with the wider belt.

How's the noise on that karata? Had any kind of problems?
All open primarys are noisy. Never seen one that was quiet. Its just a trade off for style.

BDL with outer support here. No problems. Makes some noise when in neutral with clutch let out, pull it in, noise goes away. No big thing.
Yep...... Same here with the clutch noise.

I would go with the chrome to show off the black belt and offset the rest of the black bike. I would also go with the wider 4" belt.
Yep....... You said it best.:2thumbs:

That 4" Karata looks sweet. A little chrome and a 4" black belt would look great on the Limited Edition. If I ever get some extra coin I'm getting the Karata

Loafington

Has anyone run a 4" primary or any open primary without an OBS? If so, were there any issues? I ride with someone that has a BDL with a 3" belt, no OBS. He has no issues to date.

dog1

Has anyone run a 4" primary or any open primary without an OBS? If so, were there any issues? I ride with someone that has a BDL with a 3" belt, no OBS. He has no issues to date.
with the Karata 4" you should use one...for little as I ran mine waiting for the OBS I notice with the torque/load I could see the flex in the tranny output shaft. with OBS in place no prob.

waykool

Banned
Whats an OBS?

with the Karata 4" you should use one...for little as I ran mine waiting for the OBS I notice with the torque/load I could see the flex in the tranny output shaft. with OBS in place no prob.
Whats an OBS?

Loafington

Is that a BDL open primary, looks like it? Not sure if BDL makes a 4" or not. Yours might be different depending on when you put yours on and what was available at the time.

Last edited:

Staffy

Not the best of Pic's but here's the Karata 4" on a limited edition. The reason I suggest the 4" is besides the torque and looks - it aligns extremly with the pegs and foot levers - a profile look....will post a pic showing that later...

Attachments