What is the best compensator for K9?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry guys, I´ve been very busy this winter finishing up our dyno room at Bikehouse Sweden. We have the original compensator kits that was made for BDM. I'll take pictures today on everything and explain it all for you guys. We actually put compensator kit in a K9 that has a Bandit clutch and it works great. There are two kits available. One kit is for 250 tire BDM bikes and the other kit is for 280, 300 and 330 tires.
The offset in the primary is different so that is why. I can really recommend everyone to put the compensator in the clutch. It makes the ride smoother and saves your clutch and transmission. In fact I have never heard of and Big Dog having the clutch basket or transmission broken with the compensator inside but we have changed several clutch basket and mainshafts on Big Dogs without the compensator. I will get back with pictures.
I think machining the primary cover to accept is the hardest part for the garage folks.

I am interested to see pics!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
I’ve never had a concern with my Ridgeback vibration. Sure, it vibrates more than my other bikes except for my 1968 BSA Chopper. But, unless I’m doing 125mph on the Ridgeback, it doesn’t even come close to vibrating like my 1968 BSA Chopper at idle. My Daytona 675 will spin at 14,000 rpm like a Dremel Tool. So, if I want to ride with less vibration, I pick another bike to ride. But, cruising around on the Ridgeback up to 80 to 90 mph just doesn’t bother me and maybe I’m just lucky. There is no compensator on my Daytona 675.

You just have to ask yourself....Am I fixing a problem and is it worth the money or am I covering up some other problem with installing a compensator. Maybe, it’s just a design item that a compensator is the right answer for. My 1999 Dodge Cummins vibrates but I’m not going to do anything about it unless something is loose of course.

bohussound

Here are some pictures of all the parts needed for the compensator. First of all you need to make a hole in the outer primary cover as shown in the picture. Then the new derby cover with o-ring needs to be mounted with six allen head screws and loctite of course. Then you just need to take off the big nut on the motor axel and remove the chain and the old 29 teeth gear. Then the new compensator mounts right on together with the chain and red loctite on the new nut. Torque is the same as the old one and you can find it in the service manual.

We had to buy 30 compensator kits and we have probably about 10 left now. In Europe we sell them for 350 Euros plus shipping. If there would be anyone interested in US we can sell it to forum members for 340 US Dollars + shipping. I would suggest that the best would be if there is a couple interested to send one package from Sweden to US and then you guys ship internally in US because it would save a lot of shipping costs.
In Europe we have offered the service to the customers to send their outer primary cover and we would then take it to the machine shop and have it made and then we would ship it back together with the compensator. But this option would be too expensive to do with primarys from US.
You can actually make the holes yourself if you are handy and I can give the exact measurments in that case. It's also easy to measure on the new derby cover.

I hope everyone understands that the purpose of the compensator is mainly to save the clutch and transmission. Some guys ride these bikes very hard with a lot of fast acceleration 0-80 mph and that puts a lot of pressure on the clutch and transmission. Because when you release the clutch lever you have all those horsepower from the motoraxel grabbing the clutch basket ant the transmission. But you get another benefit from it and that is you don't have to switch between gears that often anymore. With the compensator you can easily just pull the throttle even if you are one gear too high.
Ok I hope this gives all an idea about the compensator and what it does. If you guys have any questions just post it and I will try to anser.
Thanks

Attachments

aspen874

I’ve never had a concern with my Ridgeback vibration. Sure, it vibrates more than my other bikes except for my 1968 BSA Chopper. But, unless I’m doing 125mph on the Ridgeback, it doesn’t even come close to vibrating like my 1968 BSA Chopper at idle. My Daytona 675 will spin at 14,000 rpm like a Dremel Tool. So, if I want to ride with less vibration, I pick another bike to ride. But, cruising around on the Ridgeback up to 80 to 90 mph just doesn’t bother me and maybe I’m just lucky. There is no compensator on my Daytona 675.

You just have to ask yourself....Am I fixing a problem and is it worth the money or am I covering up some other problem with installing a compensator. Maybe, it’s just a design item that a compensator is the right answer for. My 1999 Dodge Cummins vibrates but I’m not going to do anything about it unless something is loose of course.
I have an O7 Mastiff and a 2010 Bulldog Bagger with the compensator, the ride quality is so much better on the Bagger.

bohussound

I have an O7 Mastiff and a 2010 Bulldog Bagger with the compensator, the ride quality is so much better on the Bagger.
They were specially made for us on order so I don't think you can order just one compensator kit. Each part has it's own part number.

TapioK

Compensator does nothing for vibration, what it does is soften the “power pulse” from engine to clutch/tranny...Does it cause problems? On HD EVO’s it didn’t, on twin cam specially bigger bore CVO’s it can...

Yan69

Here are some pictures of all the parts needed for the compensator. First of all you need to make a hole in the outer primary cover as shown in the picture. Then the new derby cover with o-ring needs to be mounted with six allen head screws and loctite of course. Then you just need to take off the big nut on the motor axel and remove the chain and the old 29 teeth gear. Then the new compensator mounts right on together with the chain and red loctite on the new nut. Torque is the same as the old one and you can find it in the service manual.

We had to buy 30 compensator kits and we have probably about 10 left now. In Europe we sell them for 350 Euros plus shipping. If there would be anyone interested in US we can sell it to forum members for 340 US Dollars + shipping. I would suggest that the best would be if there is a couple interested to send one package from Sweden to US and then you guys ship internally in US because it would save a lot of shipping costs.
In Europe we have offered the service to the customers to send their outer primary cover and we would then take it to the machine shop and have it made and then we would ship it back together with the compensator. But this option would be too expensive to do with primarys from US.
You can actually make the holes yourself if you are handy and I can give the exact measurments in that case. It's also easy to measure on the new derby cover.

I hope everyone understands that the purpose of the compensator is mainly to save the clutch and transmission. Some guys ride these bikes very hard with a lot of fast acceleration 0-80 mph and that puts a lot of pressure on the clutch and transmission. Because when you release the clutch lever you have all those horsepower from the motoraxel grabbing the clutch basket ant the transmission. But you get another benefit from it and that is you don't have to switch between gears that often anymore. With the compensator you can easily just pull the throttle even if you are one gear too high.
Ok I hope this gives all an idea about the compensator and what it does. If you guys have any questions just post it and I will try to anser.
Thanks

Thanks
hello do you still have some compensator kit i will be interested thank you

Hi Cesad....I have taken the clutch out of my K9 several times and never seen a compensator, mostly because 2007 K9's don't have them. Note below how the primary chain goes directly from the crankshaft pulley (41) to the clutch (not shown).
Harley uses compensator pulleys as a vibration damper--I'm sure some clever guy could devise one for Big Dogs, but I've never seen an example.
Save your Euros--- the Bandit is a very good clutch, but expensive enough, right?View attachment 59863
Thank you for sharing it :)

aspen874

my 2010 Bulldog Bagger has a compensator, it came that way. I would think you should be able to order that here in the US.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
my 2010 Bulldog Bagger has a compensator, it came that way. I would think you should be able to order that here in the US.
If you look at your bagger and compare it to other bikes prior to 2010, the front part where the compensator is does not bulge out like yours does. You have to get a whole outer case to put a compensator and a Slimline primary

aspen874

If you look at your bagger and compare it to other bikes prior to 2010, the front part where the compensator is does not bulge out like yours does. You have to get a whole outer case to put a compensator and a Slimline primary
So here's an opportunity for you since you have the equipment and talent, can you modify the primary to accept a compensator