Out the shop

Energy One

Jerome Yee

I'm looking for a tac and speedometer for a 2003 AIH Outlaw I looked at Dakota digital and they don't have what I'm looking for there's no Tac on it. The ones they carried have been discontinued tac and speedometer. Any one know any ships that carry after market that fit.?

Jerome Yee

Let's say what it's not:
1. coil
2. switch
3. spark unit
4. processor black box
5. carb
6. plugs
7. loose wires
8. bad ground

Let's narrow it down to something usually being one thing on the runs-heats up-stops running. Are we talking about a good clutch lever when cold and a lever goes to the grip is the center nut backing out, is the same pattern for the black box to turn into a brick? Or is this your heat cycle of the bike stopped on me, had it cool down and started again kind of scenario?

So is this the sign of a processor on its way out, or the sensor having a heat stroke, minus 4 LOL.

When I left the house the carb, coil, spark unit, wires, ground, is the switch going on and putt-putt to the gas station I go. Tank is [especially] topped off and we are talking within feet if not yards of stalling due to non-venting at the cap. The carb/coil/unit/plugs lit that bike off again is a clean carb if it idles/starts right up, one kick if not a push of the button in a 1/4 of a second, sans a one kick bike in other words... No cleaning needed.

Receipt wise, I do not find a fast starting bike as a carb needing cleaning. Say yes it starts like right now and you get your carb clean money back. Why? Takes 3 clean holes to act as one start/idle. Lose 1 circuit = Hard starting.

Brake job looks somewhat reasonable... never changed a set so I have no clue. Say diagnostic time is spending a quick hour to determine what? That should have been punched in for time in/time off the diagnostic. Was the very first thing before the wrench is ever turned is... what is the compression? I don't see the numbers is one, and why not kill two birds is the upsell to rebuild the compression back up to spec.

No compression test to continue the work, deduct the time spent chasing tail on the diagnostics. What are the odds I didn't test this one bike and sure enough it was compression. Never started the work on any bike needing valves adjust, general tune up, or anything related to it running, you cover your ass first before you call the customer to proceed, or it's not worth the rebuild and all that pile of shit that the service manager took in feeding a crew of 3 on the slow time.

What is known in the industry is a "Comeback." Yeah, I rode it twice. No, you lapped the block twice, and not thermodynamically set the part to its peak heat range... The pulse generator/the cam sensor/the crank sensor/the I make AC out the wire jobber and all that nomenclature describing... sounds like?

And to be fair, that bill looks somewhat reasonable, nothing showing a red flag to me, sans your answer to the fast start, now knowing 3 open circuits were the cause of the bike starting via one kick... especially electronic ignition in play.
It was brought to my attention that I misspelled your name and after reading all the information you shared with me I should at least get the spelling correct, Sven I replied the eyes aren't what they use to be so
thanks again Sven..

Jerome Yee

Jerome, apology not taken. You don't need to in other words. It's more a Big Brother name if you catch my drift. Nor do I use my real name on facebook... ah shit, face recognition. So much from hiding from BB.

;)
Update Sven I thought I'd share this with you
Got bike back, ran great but after spending 1200.10 for repairs. My complaint was why didn't he do this the first time, the new petcock and inline filter? He found that my ignition was bad and put in new coil box with chrome cover, there somethings he did with the vacuum lines also I didn't quite understand, he said I didn't need it any way it was something with charcoal filter. I have too admit it ran good home about ten miles from shop, got her on the freeway and opened her up no problems, never stalled so we'll see if she holds up.. Thanks for your input Sven

Attachments

Sven

WOW, Jerome, thank you. I wish you were like all the Q&A types that would come back and tell us the answer being solved. Rare is the bird are you. And another thank you for putting your own A to bed. Something to sleep on when the search is on, if you will.

I have a lot of thinking about that 1200 large...just my 10c. The, I coulda woulda. A return flight would have been cheaper... with a full tank and 200 yards or less and it stops = Tank venting.. Or the large for some nice tools and in-house; this house to get it done.

Or, it's over and George and Ben under the bridge for a somewhat expensive hindsight, it's only money... if you got it. Who cares, life is short, the ride is in.

Look at it this way, fuel/spark/compression is who dropped out of the loop? That troubletree is deeply rooted. It's a hair puller and it takes time. Strange bike be it yours or others, it has a variable to solve. So parts, time, labor, my guess is he ate more in time is money than what you shelled out.

Ha, put it this way, fuel and spark are out of the way. If it stops running this time - Comp.

A looped part removed: The charcoal thing is an emissions loop. By that I mean, yes it is going to vent in a closed loop system both ways. So where the filter canister filtering to atmosphere comes in play is, think of the bike sitting out in the sun and lunch is served. The expansion is happening and the tank venting. It has a blow-off side if you will. So the exit when that happens is it belches thru the charcoal and out to atmosphere without leaving too much of a carbon trail. Typical closed loop tank to atmosphere system in the generic.

Jerome Yee

WOW, Jerome, thank you. I wish you were like all the Q&A types that would come back and tell us the answer being solved. Rare is the bird are you. And another thank you for putting your own A to bed. Something to sleep on when the search is on, if you will.

I have a lot of thinking about that 1200 large...just my 10c. The, I coulda woulda. A return flight would have been cheaper... with a full tank and 200 yards or less and it stops = Tank venting.. Or the large for some nice tools and in-house; this house to get it done.

Or, it's over and George and Ben under the bridge for a somewhat expensive hindsight, it's only money... if you got it. Who cares, life is short, the ride is in.

Look at it this way, fuel/spark/compression is who dropped out of the loop? That troubletree is deeply rooted. It's a hair puller and it takes time. Strange bike be it yours or others, it has a variable to solve. So parts, time, labor, my guess is he ate more in time is money than what you shelled out.

Ha, put it this way, fuel and spark are out of the way. If it stops running this time - Comp.

A looped part removed: The charcoal thing is an emissions loop. By that I mean, yes it is going to vent in a closed loop system both ways. So where the filter canister filtering to atmosphere comes in play is, think of the bike sitting out in the sun and lunch is served. The expansion is happening and the tank venting. It has a blow-off side if you will. So the exit when that happens is it belches thru the charcoal and out to atmosphere without leaving too much of a carbon trail. Typical closed loop tank to atmosphere system in the generic.
After getting info from a lot of you I feel like I got A team on my side when I head into the shop cause they start talking schematics and things and I'm doomed, I'm just a novice and want to enjoy the ride and since I found this site I'm learning some good things so a lotta thanks to everyone on here willing to put the energy helping others, I'll try to pass it on Brother Your a hella of writer also Sven.