How To service your forks

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessff00

Dont mean to hijack the thread but was wondering if anyone knew the fork diameter mm of a 2002 pitbull. Im looking to replace my blinkers and wanting to by mounts that will fit around the forks. Thanks

ChopperFred

A question about the neck bearings. You mention to clean them up. How clean is clean? Do you try to remove all the old grease with parts cleaner? Do you use a bearing-packer tool that forces out the old grease? Or do you just wipe them down? Thanks....

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
CF... I would say that depends on their condition. Mine were in great condition (ie: low milage). That would tell you how far to take it. Hopefully you end up doing them before they are bad, where you could just wipe em off and add more grease.

ChopperFred

CF... I would say that depends on their condition. Mine were in great condition (ie: low milage). That would tell you how far to take it. Hopefully you end up doing them before they are bad, where you could just wipe em off and add more grease.
Thanks Gas Man. One last question. I've pulled the forks out of the triple trees, but I'm having trouble removing the plug to get to the spring, etc. I put a strap wrench on the fork to keep it from rotating while I used a crescent wrench on the plug. It's not budging. I assume the plug is a standard right-hand thread. Any suggestions, maybe a heat gun or something else?

Thanks again

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Nope... just slide the fork back into the tripples... snug them up like you were installing them... break top cap loose and then remove the fork again and proceed.

ChopperFred

Nope... just slide the fork back into the tripples... snug them up like you were installing them... break top cap loose and then remove the fork again and proceed.
I think I'm having a senior moment this morning. Rather than prolong this thread, I'll just send you a PM with a couple of questions. Thanks again.

Vegas

Finally put my hot rod back together tonight. Like to ad my two cents to this whole deal. I ended up using Harley Davidson upper and lower bushings. Go down to Harley and ask for 41mm upper and lowers. (06 Mastiff) Check them with a caliper to be sure. I applaud gas for going to all that trouble making a seal driver but a gentleman in Michigan machines fork seal drivers and sells them for 30 bucks. Makes driving in the top bushing and seal a breeze. Not worth the trouble of making one. eBay Motors: Harley Davidson Fork Seal Driver (item 160323694229 end time Apr-02-09 19:08:11 PDT)

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Vegas... you will still need a length of PVC to put over/on top of that to hit with the hammer...BFH to be exact!

repairman

Fork holders

Hey just to let you know I made my own fork holder that fits into bench vice no need for the extra hands to remove the lowers. be more than happy to share pic. or make you a set and send them to you.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.