Handlebar Conversion

Energy One

Hirter6Pack

Not Quite A Guru
Pknowles had mentioned that he put 08 pitbull handlebars on his 09 k9 he also said Blacktopper was the first to do the handlebar conversion along Derrick and Donna. PK said it moves the handlebars about 3" closer to the seat.
I thought it was good information to put here for us short people.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I did this to Shain's bike. You'll have to change to brake line, throttle cable, and clutch cable. The Kaptin has the wire kit, so you don't have to splice the wiring. I did run into a couple problem. First the speedometer bracket wouldn't clear the tank.

So I had to add 3/4'' spacers under the handle bars.

This gave it about 3/8'' clearance.

They do come back further, and look nice.
Sorry I didn't get a picture of them.

Hirter6Pack

Not Quite A Guru
I did this to Shain's bike. You'll have to change to brake line, throttle cable, and clutch cable. The Kaptin has the wire kit, so you don't have to splice the wiring. I did run into a couple problem. First the speedometer bracket wouldn't clear the tank.

So I had to add 3/4'' spacers under the handle bars.

This gave it about 3/8'' clearance.

They do come back further, and look nice.
Sorry I didn't get a picture of them.
Thank for adding :old2:

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
If they make a shorter bracket, it would bring it up off the tank, but I don't remember if there is enough room between the speedometer and the handle bars. Maybe Blacktopper will that a picture of his set up.

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Search "handlebars" in Front end and Handlebars with Blacktopper as poster. A detailed how-to with parts list, etc is there. He had to use a new speedo bracket. I recall it was almost identical to stock, but not enough clearance for the tank.

Last edited:

TapioK

And I went the opposite, changed K9 bar to Chopper bar. Gives my long arms more room and I'm not leaning back. Easier on my back, not to mention the tailbone on longer trips... If I remember right Chopper bar moves controls about an inch further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
This is what mine looks like after Shannon got done with heron you want pics at any certain angles, PM me a cell # and ill text you whatever you want. View attachment 39843
Bike looks great Shain, I have shared your story with all of our riding group. I couldn't imagine the "oh shit" feeling when you saw that deer and knew there was no stopping..must feel great having the bike back. Shannon did one hell of a job. :old2:

Dirtymaxin

any shorter guys out there with k9s want to trade bars for my 2008 pitbulls? I been looking for a set of bars with less pull back and would rather stick with oem big dog bars to avoid a headache then go with something custom.:old2: