Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
The author, in respect to this thread asked:
IF YOU DON"T HAVE SOMETHING INTELLIGENT, WORTHWHILE OR HELPFUL TO SAY THEN PLEASE KEEP IT TOO YOURSELF.

This thread has been moderated to stay on topic.

Sent from my Life One X3 using Tapatalk
I know, everyone is waiting, but I'm giving it a rest for a bit while others calm down.
I mean geez I am getting phony emails from people calling me names etc.
Besides I am trying to decide if it is even worth my time to do this just to prove something or would my time be better spent on a project we already started working on that will deliver a shock that actually does just bolt into the 05 and up frames and will work for different size folks. We are also working on a jig setup to disassemble the Worx shocks for rebuild and possible upgrade also. All that effort is supplying information to us that we hope to use to deliver an adjustable shock at some later date.

Jersey Big Mike

Curtis --- Even though I already have a set of 422's sitting here and really would like heavier duty shocksm given the information that I have at this point that I'm very unlikely to do the mod required myself. With that said, I'd say go with the new shock design, overall I think that's a better plan long term for Big Dog riders.

Mr. Wright

Guru
Wild Steed Worx

SHOCKS NARROW BODY CHROME HEAVY DUTY 1 PAIR

Retail Price: $299.99
You save: $24.99 (8%)
Our Price: $275.00

Add to Cart:

• Description
  • Details
  • Reviews
  • Custom Tab
These are beautiful show chromed shocks with the same ride as OEM Big Dog Works Shocks.

If you are of large stature, 225 plus, or ride two up allot that puts you in that range or higher we recommend these shocks. For small stature folks looking for a softer ride order the medium version of this shock HERE.

Milco

The Flying Dutchman
See on Facebook this guy Kevin Dunmire, he has installed the 422 on his K9 and tieribbed the oillines to the other side of the frametube......https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449044415886962&set=pcb.1671041796372913&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARCQ_QEqnJdasgLmJW5getCTSOzjE6VsUe2Adh1hr3QYRlPl2A6tHjZLQRph4IkuoIiw8Pm2dVEAD5BZ

See on Facebook this guy Kevin Dunmire, he has installed the 422 on his K9 and tieribbed the oillines to the other side of the frametube......https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449044415886962&set=pcb.1671041796372913&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARCQ_QEqnJdasgLmJW5getCTSOzjE6VsUe2Adh1hr3QYRlPl2A6tHjZLQRph4IkuoIiw8Pm2dVEAD5BZ
Yeah but ask them how their doing it.
All they keep telling everyone is they fit.
All the pictures they keep showing everyone do not show the mount locations.
You can make just about anything fit if you hack it up and do different things but there are not that many folks out there that have the capability to make those types of adjustments. One of the purveyors of this has already admitted they have to modify the shock etc to get the left shock in. Do they have the blessing of Progressive? Is the shock warranty still good? You can claim all day "I have never had one fail" but then what happens when it does? Who is going to be responsible and who is going to pay reparations if the rider is injured or worse yet killed?
Hey if they do their due diligence and come up with an approved method for doing it more power to them.
But i find it hard to believe they have done that when they continue to refuse to show anyone how they are doing it.

Bottom line is still as I keep stating:

"422s do not "Bolt Up" to Mastiffs or K9s without doing extensive modifications"

422s are a nice shock.
They will "Bolt Up" to some of the BDs if you move the brake and oil lines around to prevent rubbing.
We put them on some of the BDs that they "Bolt Up" to.
But we don't and will not carve up shock eyelets and shock mounts to "Make" them fit.
It's not about being "Smart Enough" to figure it out.
It's about not putting our company or Customer's lives at risk.
It's not worth the risk when there are other viable options out there that are approved and do have the manufacturers blessing.

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
Thanks again Curtis :) This is a tired topic and I am bored with reading it over and over. Curtis has developed several options for us that are just as good if not better than the 422's so why are we still trying to put the proverbial square peg in a round hole??? Just Sayin :chopper:

Five Five

Supporting Member
I have a Daytec K9 frame and the 422's shocks , the primary side shock hits the frame support and cant be mounted..... a simple option before anyone decides to chop up the frame, and compromise any of the transmission support brackets, is to run the 422 shock on the exhaust side and another smaller chrome cylinder shock on the primary side...... Those who have factory air ride systems on there bike know what i mean.....the factory setup has one large air cylinder shock and one small stock shock... for the smaller diameter chrome shocks, you can check that company called WIld Steed Worx...... the owner is a big guy, I think his name is Curtis.

chubs

Guru
Yeah but ask them how their doing it.
All they keep telling everyone is they fit.
All the pictures they keep showing everyone do not show the mount locations.
You can make just about anything fit if you hack it up and do different things but there are not that many folks out there that have the capability to make those types of adjustments. One of the purveyors of this has already admitted they have to modify the shock etc to get the left shock in. Do they have the blessing of Progressive? Is the shock warranty still good? You can claim all day "I have never had one fail" but then what happens when it does? Who is going to be responsible and who is going to pay reparations if the rider is injured or worse yet killed?
Hey if they do their due diligence and come up with an approved method for doing it more power to them.
But i find it hard to believe they have done that when they continue to refuse to show anyone how they are doing it.

Bottom line is still as I keep stating:

"422s do not "Bolt Up" to Mastiffs or K9s without doing extensive modifications"

422s are a nice shock.
They will "Bolt Up" to some of the BDs if you move the brake and oil lines around to prevent rubbing.
We put them on some of the BDs that they "Bolt Up" to.
But we don't and will not carve up shock eyelets and shock mounts to "Make" them fit.
It's not about being "Smart Enough" to figure it out.
It's about not putting our company or Customer's lives at risk.
It's not worth the risk when there are other viable options out there that are approved and do have the manufacturers blessing.
Very well stated ! Safety comes way before jury rigging stuff just to prove you can do something !

I am in no way saying "they can't do it".
If they figured out a way and it is safe good for them, seriously.
But I have just seen way too much in my time in this industry to believe there is a safe competent way to do it.
I mean geez one of the people doing it was allegedly injured by what this person deemed incompetent workmanship and materials by Big Dog and has built a whole sales campaign up around an electrical upgrade over that unfortunate accident and their over on Facebook or somewhere posting pictures of how, minus the real pictures that actually show how they are really doing it, they have managed to force the square peg into the round hole on their own Big Dog.
Like I said "good for them if they figured it out" but you won't catch me or my shop hacking on shock eyelets and mounts to force something in that shouldn't be there. It isn't any different than all these folks that think they know what their doing when they slap LED lights all over these bikes and just tap into the electrical system wherever they think it will work. It's like thinking your good enough to slap an extreme front end on a bike without having it engineered correctly and even then just because you bought a welder and have an idea how to use it doesn't mean you should be welding on a project like that. Hell just ask Big Bear. They had competent, supposedly, certified welders and they still had allot of frames that had to be repaired due to bad welds. Big Dog had their share as well.
Anyway I digress. It would suit me fine if the Administrators would just delete this thread period because it really is a dead issue as far as I am concerned.

Th3InfamousI

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Not going to delete, just locking this thread because I think the shock items have been covered to the point where all the info is available.

At the end of the day, we now have a few options us Big Dog Owners can take. Everyone can make their own opinion on how they would like to proceed with their own bike. That is the benefit of being in the Good Ol' US of A!

Status
Not open for further replies.