422s Do they fit on a K9 or don't they?

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm tired of all the BS flying around and I'm certainly tired of someone insinuating that some of us are too stupid to figure it out. I have a K9 frame on blocks and over the next couple of days I am going to show exactly what you would have to do to make them fit, short of modifying the frame because I'm not stupid enough to think I know better than an engineer that designed the original frame. Hey if it's simple then I eat crow but I can already see it is not going to be "minor" or "simple" and it will most certainly involve at the very least voiding any warranty you would have on your shocks.
And for the sake of the moderators, who I am sure are up to their ears with the BS, I am asking everyone up front.....IF YOU DON"T HAVE SOMETHING INTELLIGENT, WORTHWHILE OR HELPFUL TO SAY THEN PLEASE KEEP IT TOO YOURSELF.....
And away we go..................

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
please, keep the posts to this thread to a minimum. as Curtis posts pictures and text, if you have a relevant question, ask in respectful dialog and move on. I am sure Curtis will try to answer as he can. once the project is complete, there can be a discussion of what was or was not done to allow the use of the progressive shocks. most of all, keep the banter and sarcasm out of this thread. I am not trying to show favoritism, we all want to see this come to a clear outcome.

please, keep the posts to this thread to a minimum. as Curtis posts pictures and text, if you have a relevant question, ask in respectful dialog and move on. I am sure Curtis will try to answer as he can. once the project is complete, there can be a discussion of what was or was not done to allow the use of the progressive shocks. most of all, keep the banter and sarcasm out of this thread. I am not trying to show favoritism, we all want to see this come to a clear outcome.
Thank you Woodbutcher.
And by all means if members have photos to share regarding this issue please post them.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
thanks for the assist, Ker, but it seems to be a situation with the server/OS and has been going on since the last big changeover, so it is something that still should be addressed.

roadie1389

Supporting Member
I'm wondering, that with all the different frame designs Big Dog did, that maybe some of the transmission mounts are different too.
That's a good question. Didn't BD use 2 different K-9 frame manufacturers during it's life? We know that the Chopper had 2 and the frames are very different in areas.

I'm wondering, that with all the different frame designs Big Dog did, that maybe some of the transmission mounts are different too.
Yes, the frames are different in many cases and it is quite possible that the 422s will bolt up to those frames hence this thread. Hopefully I won't be the only one working on this as it is a big project and I can't do it by myself. At least not in a reasonable amount of time that is helpful to others....lol.
Sorry about the photos folks. I'm not sure what the deal is there. Maybe it's due to them being jpeg?

Mr. Wright

Guru
I know that everyone I take apart is different in some ways. Triple tree bearings and stops, engine mounts, battery box mounts.

How about a side picture, to see how close the bolts are to bolting up. Looks like it might be an easy fix.
If it was an "easy" fix I wouldn't be bothering with this thread. At this point I can see, for K9s, that it won't be an easy fix. It may be nothing more than cutting away a portion of the shock body, we'll know in the next couple of days as we progress. For me, as a shop owner, fabricator and with personal experience regarding liability law suits, I would not do the mods I'm going to show and I'll be making that clear. Others will, I'm sure, feel differently but that is their choice.

Jersey Big Mike

If it was an "easy" fix I wouldn't be bothering with this thread. At this point I can see, for K9s, that it won't be an easy fix. It may be nothing more than cutting away a portion of the shock body, we'll know in the next couple of days as we progress. For me, as a shop owner, fabricator and with personal experience regarding liability law suits, I would not do the mods I'm going to show and I'll be making that clear. Others will, I'm sure, feel differently but that is their choice.
I was thinking not trimming the body but "adjusting the eyelets" might be an option. There's a pretty thick plastic washer protruding (with steel sleeve) What if a thinner nylon bushing were used and the extra distance were added back to the outside so that the bolt is still the same length.

Also, if there are different frames amoungst the K-9's do we have anyway to tell which is which (by vin maybe) so that we can test all versions.

bigkelk9

Yes, I’m that guy, what are 422’s?? And is that the frame of that bike that once sat in my garage?? Lol

HMAN

Just like to ride
Supporting Member
Ok, im an outside of the box kinda guy.....would they bolt up if they were turned around bassackwards? This nfo will not be useful to me as the Pit has no room for shocks. Just my random thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.