422s Do they fit on a K9 or don't they?

Energy One
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking not trimming the body but "adjusting the eyelets" might be an option. There's a pretty thick plastic washer protruding (with steel sleeve) What if a thinner nylon bushing were used and the extra distance were added back to the outside so that the bolt is still the same length.

Also, if there are different frames amoungst the K-9's do we have anyway to tell which is which (by vin maybe) so that we can test all versions.
I only know of two K9 frames. The Daytec version, which I own and they don't bolt up to, and the BD version, which I own and they don't bolt up to. Yes cutting the eyelets is a possibility and would help move the shock away from the support bracket and I am going to show that in the next day or so. My first two thoughts we're to cut the eyelets and cut a small portion of the shock body away as I think that might be enough but, as I've stated before, making modifications to a part that has been designed to perform a certain way is never a good idea and will almost certainly end bad eventually. As it is majority of the soft tail frames are at a disadvantage out of the gate because the shoulder bolts are too small and break too often.

Ok, im an outside of the box kinda guy.....would they bolt up if they were turned around bassackwards? This nfo will not be useful to me as the Pit has no room for shocks. Just my random thoughts...
Unfortunately the body of the shock is going to hit that frame support either way you mount them.

Yes, I’m that guy, what are 422’s?? And is that the frame of that bike that once sat in my garage?? Lol
Softail Progressive shocks that readily bolt up to 03-04 BDs but, to our knowledge at this point, do not bolt up to 05 and up original BDs.
If it was part of a K9 that we bought from Texas then yes but since it was part of a K9 that we bought from the original owner I kind of doubt it....lol.

SEAL-rider

No, turning them around does not solve the issue. The connectors are same dimensions and on the same centerline. We tried turning them around just to prove it.

SEAL-rider

I think for the purposes of this discussion we should define the use of the term "fit". Fit should mean that the shocks simply bolt onto a specific year model as a replacement for stock shocks. Modifying either the shock or frame in any way does not meet this definition. To tell the membership that the product fits, should enable the average owner to install the product as easily as the would install the stock units.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
I think for the purposes of this discussion we should define the use of the term "fit". Fit should mean that the shocks simply bolt onto a specific year model as a replacement for stock shocks. Modifying either the shock or frame in any way does not meet this definition. To tell the membership that the product fits, should enable the average owner to install the product as easily as the would install the stock units.
this is a statement I fully agree with. modification by somebody other than a qualified mechanic/engineer most likely ends up in a bad situation. IMHO modifications to a frame should not be done by shade tree mechanics. especially if, at some time in the future, you plan on selling the bike.

mittens

Come on now guys, I agree with the defining "FIT" as I did that in the other thread.

But to say no one should chop a frame... this is a chopper forum.... choppers come form chopping up other bikes. we just have some fancy premade factory ones... but the name chopper even has Chop in it.... so by nature I would hope your not that strict on your self. Granted that has nothing to do with the question on hand... do they FIT...

Come on now guys, I agree with the defining "FIT" as I did that in the other thread.

But to say no one should chop a frame... this is a chopper forum.... choppers come form chopping up other bikes. we just have some fancy premade factory ones... but the name chopper even has Chop in it.... so by nature I would hope your not that strict on your self. Granted that has nothing to do with the question on hand... do they FIT...
As I stated earlier what a person chooses to do with their bike is their business.
However, what do you do when you plan on selling that bike to an unsuspecting owner?
I know what a vast majority do, I have personal experience with it, they say nothing or worse yet flat out lie.
So with the above in mind I stand by what I stated before.

So why would anyone want the change? I mean my k9 rides just fine and I’ve ridden one with air ride and personally I prefer the normal shocks over air ride, but what’s so special about these?
Everybody has their own opinion.
I love my air ride others hate the air ride.
That's the beauty of a, somewhat free at least, society.

They definitely improve the ride of the 03-04s over stock and if they fit the newer bikes I believe they would be an improvement over the newer OEM shocks but does an owner really truly need them. That's for each owner to decide I think.

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
The pics should be loaded to the gallery, and not through Tapatalk (if that's the case). I can't control anything outside of our domain. The gallery is here for a reason.

bigkelk9

Everybody has their own opinion.
I love my air ride others hate the air ride.
That's the beauty of a, somewhat free at least, society.

They definitely improve the ride of the 03-04s over stock and if they fit the newer bikes I believe they would be an improvement over the newer OEM shocks but does an owner really truly need them. That's for each owner to decide I think.
I would like air ride just so u can drop ur bike when u park it, that looks cool as hell, lol

bigkelk9

If we're around in another 30 years, tell me how feel about the ride then, young GrassHopper:)
Hands down, this K9 is the reason my other three bikes are gone, the most comfortable bike I have ever owned! But i get ya for sure, sometimes them dips and bumps will lift u straight off the seat! Lol

Jersey Big Mike

Supporting Member
I only know of two K9 frames. The Daytec version, which I own and they don't bolt up to, and the BD version, which I own and they don't bolt up to. Yes cutting the eyelets is a possibility and would help move the shock away from the support bracket and I am going to show that in the next day or so. My first two thoughts we're to cut the eyelets and cut a small portion of the shock body away as I think that might be enough but, as I've stated before, making modifications to a part that has been designed to perform a certain way is never a good idea and will almost certainly end bad eventually. As it is majority of the soft tail frames are at a disadvantage out of the gate because the shoulder bolts are too small and break too often.
The one thing about cutting/trimming the eyelet that comes to my mind is all four need to be trimmed equally so that the force is still balanced l to r and front to back -- don't want shock going back at an angle.

mittens

I don't know the width of the mouting tubes on a K9 but I remember thinking my 2 422 where CLose to one another on the normal 04.

Th3InfamousI

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
I was thinking not trimming the body but "adjusting the eyelets" might be an option. There's a pretty thick plastic washer protruding (with steel sleeve) What if a thinner nylon bushing were used and the extra distance were added back to the outside so that the bolt is still the same length.

Also, if there are different frames amoungst the K-9's do we have anyway to tell which is which (by vin maybe) so that we can test all versions.
I was thinking what if the shock Bolt that goes into the shock it self is reconfigured?

It thrrads in to make adjustments so I would think you could make a new Bolt that fits? Hard to tell based on the pictures if its viable.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Jersey Big Mike

Supporting Member
the part of the bolt that is at issue is the eyelet that Curtis and I were talking about.
Yes a new bolt could be used with a narrower eyelet (again all four for best results)

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
Do they fit both 2004 chopper frames? Without mods.
remember, this project is to find out if the 422's will fit frames with the 300 tire, ie K9, Mastiff, things like that. please don't overload with peripheral questions until Curtis has time to complete the first phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.