2009/2010 Wolf Tires

How many Wolf (220/50/20) tires can you commit to?

• Total voters

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Haven't seen 220/50 20 size car tire either. 225/60 18 would be pretty much the same diameter. If too wide 215/70 17 is even closer... over 200 wide square tire sounds pretty scary though....
The topic of size change comes up from time to time. The issue with a 17 or 18 inch tire would be the curve of the rear fender and the curve of the tire. The fender is arched to look right with a 20 inch tire. I guarantee problems trying to fit an 18", and a 17" would be funny looking, I bet. Maybe adapt an 18" rear tire and put on a set of Bulldog Bagger or custom stretched Harley saddlebags to hide the rear wheel. Beats sitting home.
Last time Blacktopper and I were at Strokers in Dallas, the shop manager Derek was doing a project fitting an 18 inch rear tire on a Wolf. Derek has left Strokers for another job and I never knew how it turned out.
The guy (Chase Holbrook) in Utah who as selling the Wolf tires for a grand a copy is the guy who owns a used car agency, the Auto Realm. He has sold quite a few BIg Dogs, and I almost bought a Wolf from him a year or so ago. He never mentioned any tire issues, and of course when I became aware of it, lost interest. I understand supply and demand, but $999 for a tire made in 2008 or 2009----Really??
Anyhow, hats off to ChuxBD (Chuck) for his initiative in engaging Avon. I would mos' def' encourage you to try Shinko too. I can't speak for Matt or Derek/Donna, but I'm sure they would want to stock some of the tires too. Of course the issue is how many. Everyone who owns a Wolf should be interested in one or two tires at some point. Again, the issue is finding them.

Last edited:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
The topic of size change comes up from time to time. The issue with a 17 or 18 inch tire would be the curve of the rear fender and the curve of the tire. The fender is arched to look right with a 20 inch tire. I guarantee problems trying to fit an 18", and a 17" would be funny looking, I bet. Maybe adapt an 18" rear tire and put on a set of Bulldog Bagger or custom stretched Harley saddlebags to hide the rear wheel. Beats sitting home.
Last time Blacktopper and I were at Strokers in Dallas, the shop manager Derek was doing a project fitting an 18 inch rear tire on a Wolf. Derek has left Strokers for another job and I never knew how it turned out.
The guy (Chase Holbrook) in Utah who as selling the Wolf tires for a grand a copy is the guy who owns a used car agency, the Auto Realm. He has sold quite a few BIg Dogs, and I almost bought a Wolf from him a year or so ago. He never mentioned any tire issues, and of course when I became aware of it, lost interest. I understand supply and demand, but $999 for a tire made in 2008 or 2009----Really??
Anyhow, hats off to ChuxBD (Chuck) for his initiative in engaging Avon. I would mos' def' encourage you to try Shinko too. I can't speak for Matt or Derek/Donna, but I'm sure they would want to stock some of the tires too. F course the issue is how many. Everyone who owns a Wolf should be net rested in one or two tires at some point.
Good idea about the bags to hide the rim...there was a wolf recently on sale on eBay and he had custom bags made and it didn't look terrible. As you say it's better than sitting at home.

You can always have a good fiberglass also reshape the fender. Now I know we are talking $$$ but in the long run that is cheaper than buying and sourcing 15 year old tires. Might have to get ahold of Ed to help with the paint part as I know most of those wolfs have the higher level paint schemes.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
The Wolf on eBay was a good looking bike except for the saddlebags hanging below the rear fender. From the rear it looked like an upside down 'U'. You are also correct about the higher level paint, and to make it look OK, you'd have to have the rear fender extended down to square off with the bags.
You'd never see the arc of the rear wheel or the arc of the fender.
Damn...maybe I shoulda bought a Wolf after all!

Last edited:

rschubel1957

Anyhow, hats off to ChuxBD (Chuck) for his initiative in engaging Avon. I would mos' def' encourage you to try Shinko too. I can't speak for Matt or Derek/Donna, but I'm sure they would want to stock some of the tires too. Of course the issue is how many. Everyone who owns a Wolf should be interested in one or two tires at some point. Again, the issue is finding them.
Them tires on eBay where sold..guess who bought them? Donna and Derek they are giving them away to anybody that needs one bad just for the shipping..them two are about the most decent people I have ever talked too can't wait to meet them some day!!!!!

bdmwolfk9

with vee rubber america the tire mold cost alone will be about 12k ..
they have a discounts for 50 and 100 tire purchase thats what the guy told me !!

Fran

Them tires on eBay where sold..guess who bought them? Donna and Derek they are giving them away to anybody that needs one bad just for the shipping..them two are about the most decent people I have ever talked too can't wait to meet them some day!!!!!
who is Donna and Derek. I would love to buy the tires from them. Please help

TapioK

Yep. I suppose one question would be: wich is more important, the diameter of the wheel or diameter of the tire? Also how much you can drop the rear of the bike before you lose too much leaning angle or looks. Or how much bigger diameter tire you can install.

fmschatz

Bullfighter
I am the one who just sold my Wolf with the fiberglass saddlebags to Derek and Donna. Since the 220 molds have been destroyed and it looks like it will be too costly for Avon to make new molds and a limited production of tires, Derek is going for a different route to take care of the Wolf owners. He is looking at modifications of the fender along with a different wheel size and swing arm. He hope to have it in production soon.

I still have my K-9

TapioK

There is a Pneus Online, they have a 200/40/R20 they sell which would fit perfectly but they don't ship to the usa. Does anyone know how we could get them here in the states?
https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/
Not sure if you can call 0,8 narrower and 2,4 inch smaller diameter perfect fit, but I suppose you might use the original wheel. Or is 200 to narrow to seat right?

Last edited:

ChuxBD

How do I get in touch with D&D? Hope it's not too late? I'd be happy to pay for one!

Fran

Not sure if you can call 0,8 narrower and 2,4 inch smaller diameter perfect fit, but I suppose you might use the original wheel. Or is 200 to narrow to seat right?
Do you think it will work? I know it's 2" lower side by side but the bike will only be 1" lower and I think you could gain that back in the shock adjustment. Correct me if I'm wrong please. Thanks

jsmuth

I saw the writing on the wall when Avon announced they were dropping this tire and purchased 2. I'd be willing to purchase 2 more.

Fran

I found a tire that would work, it's a vee rubber. 200/40/ R20. $130. But I just sold my wolf..Very sad day...but until big dog gets a grip on there company I'm done with them. I am one of there biggest advocates, but they make it very hard to defend them anymore...