2009/2010 Wolf Tires

Energy One

How many Wolf (220/50/20) tires can you commit to?

• Total voters

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
After a voicemail from Matt Moore, I thought a new strand on this issue would be in order.
There have been several posts and much discussion concerning tires for the 2009/2010 Big Dog Wolf bikes. The 220/50 20 tire is not made by Avon anymore, and apparently there are very few available, as evidenced by some yahoo in Utah trying to get a grand apiece for the last few in captivity.....
I was interested in buying a Wolf, and chatted about the tire issue withMatt Moore, the owner of the new BD Corporation. Matt has discussed with Avon the possibility of a 'run' of tires for the Wolf. Unfortunately Avon has disposed of those particular tire molds, and since ther has been no concerted effort beyond an occasional email or phone call asking about the 220/50 x20 tire, the issue gets lost in other operational demands of running a business.
After sone threads and reading some posts on the Forum, I called Matt and her said he would review his records and reach out to Avon regarding this issue.
This morning Matt called me and left a voice message indicating that he has chatted with people at Avon and they told him they are going to 'review the business case for remaking those tires'. Matt said he would think they will respond after the Memorial Day weekend, and he will post that information on the Forum.
Several Wolf owners have indicated interest in purchasing more than one tire. To my knowledge, there has been no one so far willing to step up and agree to coordinate this endeavor. It is now time for some Wolf owner to agree to coordinate information on this. My suggestions would be for this person to find other Wolf owners and function as a go-between in communications with Matt at BDM and Wolf Owners. There is every reason to do this aggressively, as I'd think every Wolf owner alive would be interested in at least one new rear tire....
And again, the point is that it's not reasonable to think BDM or Shovelheadkicker should lay out tens of thousands of dollars to inventory an orphan tire, but you bet they would be interested in some of them. So one of the owners make a clerical effort to locate and organize some information regarding the number of tires that would be immediately sold from a run of 220/50x20 tires, it allows owners, Matt, and Avon to move ahead with this project.
But-- some Wolf owner needs to step up and agree to coordinate. I don't need a Wolf tire, and have already spend too much time with this (but would be happy to help anyone who steps up).

PROFLYER

SWOLE
How many Wolf owners do we have here? Owners please check in. Keep this thread CLEAN. I'm going to make it a sticky. You guys should consider this a hail mary to get some tires. NO BS IN THIS THREAD! Please vote in the poll, and consider it you placing an order. These guys are trying to get a run of tires done.

Thanks Rick @SKOGDOG for doing some leg work!

PROFLYER

SWOLE
You back from holiday now? Tim, is it possible to filter the membership to generate a list of Wolf owners?
He's still off the coast of BFE. I tried seeing if I could search and didn't have any luck. Maybe Tim will know how. He's back stateside in the coming week I think.

bdmwolfk9

After a voicemail from Matt Moore, I thought a new strand on this issue would be in order.
There have been several posts and much discussion concerning tires for the 2009/2010 Big Dog Wolf bikes. The 220/50 20 tire is not made by Avon anymore, and apparently there are very few available, as evidenced by some yahoo in Utah trying to get a grand apiece for the last few in captivity.....
I was interested in buying a Wolf, and chatted about the tire issue withMatt Moore, the owner of the new BD Corporation. Matt has discussed with Avon the possibility of a 'run' of tires for the Wolf. Unfortunately Avon has disposed of those particular tire molds, and since ther has been no concerted effort beyond an occasional email or phone call asking about the 220/50 x20 tire, the issue gets lost in other operational demands of running a business.
After sone threads and reading some posts on the Forum, I called Matt and her said he would review his records and reach out to Avon regarding this issue.
This morning Matt called me and left a voice message indicating that he has chatted with people at Avon and they told him they are going to 'review the business case for remaking those tires'. Matt said he would think they will respond after the Memorial Day weekend, and he will post that information on the Forum.
Several Wolf owners have indicated interest in purchasing more than one tire. To my knowledge, there has been no one so far willing to step up and agree to coordinate this endeavor. It is now time for some Wolf owner to agree to coordinate information on this. My suggestions would be for this person to find other Wolf owners and function as a go-between in communications with Matt at BDM and Wolf Owners. There is every reason to do this aggressively, as I'd think every Wolf owner alive would be interested in at least one new rear tire....
And again, the point is that it's not reasonable to think BDM or Shovelheadkicker should lay out tens of thousands of dollars to inventory an orphan tire, but you bet they would be interested in some of them. So one of the owners make a clerical effort to locate and organize some information regarding the number of tires that would be immediately sold from a run of 220/50x20 tires, it allows owners, Matt, and Avon to move ahead with this project.
But-- some Wolf owner needs to step up and agree to coordinate. I don't need a Wolf tire, and have already spend too much time with this (but would be happy to help anyone who steps up).
At least 2 and even more ,, thanks for the effort brought

Evil Tharg

I'll take a couple as well to go with the one spare I already have, the state of British roads you can never have too many tyres. Don't think there are any more Wolfs in the UK, just mine that I know of, but there were at least two in France and one or two in Germany, not sure if the owners are members here or not though.

ChuxBD

I'll take a couple as well to go with the one spare I already have, the state of British roads you can never have too many tyres. Don't think there are any more Wolfs in the UK, just mine that I know of, but there were at least two in France and one or two in Germany, not sure if the owners are members here or not though.

How much for your spare? Seriously. Is it new?

ChuxBD

What is a minimum quantity run Avon is looking for?

Shredder
I exchanged several emails with the Avon Customer Service Manager a few days ago and gave him several reasons why they should make more Wolf tires and keep us on the road. I know Matt is on their back, too.

The Avon guy said, "The molds are destroyed when there is no longer enough demand to justify production, and we can’t have those huge molds hanging around as they take up too much space. To do a new mold is over $20k. It's not my area, but I'm guessing we would need a fairly large commitment. Given there are only 150 Wolf owners, I think it would be difficult to get enough orders to justify our cost. It's not my decision, but I will pass your passionate plea up the ladder."

I'm pretty sure we're talking way over a couple of hundred. Probably more. It's a long shot, but he says he going to pass it on to his management. It'll be strictly a financial decision.

Let's keep working on seeing how many orders we can put together. It's worth trying. Sooner or later everybody's gonna need a back tire to keep riding!

PROFLYER

SWOLE
How much for your spare? Seriously. Is it new?
Chuck there were a few on Ebay a month or so ago. Seller was in Salt Lake and wanted like $1000 each for them. Egregious, obviously, but setup an ebay search for the size and it'll notify you if someone posts one for sale.

Other option is I wonder if you could switch to a different wheel and maybe @Mr. Wright could help make some spacers to get it to fit?

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
there is always the chance that "Dark Side" will work. definitely not recommended to throw a car tire on a motorcycle, but for some it is common practice. car tires will usually last more miles, but there is certainly no warranty on the tire once it is on a motorcycle.
that being said, maybe Shinko would be a company to approach.
go to youtube and check out "Darkside Motorcycle Tires"

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I know several people that have gone to the Dark Side, and said they don't have any problems. As far as going to a differant rim size, I'm sure we can figure something out. We'll have to space out the belt pulley too.

TapioK

Haven't seen 220/50 20 size car tire either. 225/60 18 would be pretty much the same diameter. If too wide 215/70 17 is even closer... over 200 wide square tire sounds pretty scary though....