Compression Release failure

I HAVE BEEN RUNNING MANUAL CR'S FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL AND THEY ARE NOT HOT TO TOUCH JUST USE COMMONSENSE WHEN REACHING UP UNDER THERE TO PUSH THEM DOWN. AND YOU WILL HAVE TO SPRAY PENETRATING OIL EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE BECAUSE THEY DO GET STICKY. i FOUND THEM ON LINE BY DOING A SEARCH.:cheers:

Coolbreezin

Lowrider, are you using S&S C/R's or aftermarket? If aftermarket, where did you get them from?
I dont want to mess my heads up, but I also dont like the cable operated manuals S&S is selling. I personally dont understand why they would have only one design of manuals.

BroadBand

Since late 60's
From S&S +copy & paste

RE: Compression Release

Are My Compression Releases Working Properly?

The main reason for compression releases is to reduce the amount of compression during the start up of your bike. Primarily if you have altered the compression ratio and have cranking compression numbers that are higher than 180psi.

If you are using S&S electronic compression releases and you are not sure if they are working properly here are some methods of checking them out.

1. Note that when you are cranking the engine that both releases are opening; this can be done by looking to see of they both drop down or by putting your finger on top and feeling the drop down motion.

2. Compression releases not sealing; to check for proper seal of the release you can do a leak down test. If the leak down percentage is high and you can here air in the exhaust it is possible that a release may not be properly sealing. If this is the situation you will need to remove both releases and verify condition. (When ever you are installing or removing compression releases it is best to remove the rocker boxes it makes the job much easier.) To verify condition, after the releases are removed look for signs of the plunger not properly sealing. Some times a poorly tuned engine will cause access carbon to build up on the release causing it to stick. The releases can be cleaned and reinstalled. If the release seems to be damaged call your S&S tech line for assistance.

3. Check the wiring; If you do not have the releases properly wired they may not work properly and you could run the risk of damaging the releases or some thing else on your bike.

4. When removing or installing our releases it is much easier to remove the rocker boxes and also the use of the S&S two piece socket will help PN 53-0045. If you choose not to use the compression releases you can install the plug into each head PN 90-4916.

BWG56

Guru
Holy shit, are you gonna talk about these CR's as long as you talked about the 585, just tell your mechanic to order them from Drag Specialties and get-r-don. Your condoms are prolly dry rotted by now anyway:oldhardlaugh:
If you put manuals in the place of the electric ones your gonna burn your fingers anyway, unless you wanna drill new holes aside the spark plugs, :oldeek:

BWG56

Guru
Do you now think the wd-40 helped at all or was it a useless exercise . I haven't done anything to my K9 and its going on 11 years and low miles.
WD-40 always helps but with low mileage I would say the carbon still is gonna build up on it, mine were actually sticking at one point, however I do have more miles on my trailer queen than you do on the K9. Years is only a number

frenchie

Hello everyone
I also like many of you experienced startup problems on my big dog K9 2007 model ...
I had removed the "condoms" and put on a little bit of WD40. it worked a little and the problem came back regularly then ...
I decided to replace electric relase compression with manual models.
I followed your discussions well and bought the specific tool S & S and 14mm alloy adapters,
this will allow me to get a higher set once I have installed the adapters alloy + compression release models manuals to not burn my fingers ...
my question is the following? by cutting the wire of the electric compression release, is it possible to uninstall them with the S & S tool, without the need to disassemble rocker box, and rocker box cover?
Is there room to pass the tool and unscrew the release release without disassembling anything?
Has anyone ever done it this way?
thank you dom

frenchie

Alloy Art Compression Release Adaptor 14mm x 3/4" Reach CRA-1 +

• Accept .650"/10mm x 1.0 compression release valves
JIMS - COMPRESSION RELEASE VALVES - 727K
I think its work well, and more safety with the alloy adapter, in case of problem with the decompressor, no piece no part can fall into the engine

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Alloy Art Compression Release Adaptor 14mm x 3/4" Reach CRA-1 +

• Accept .650"/10mm x 1.0 compression release valves
JIMS - COMPRESSION RELEASE VALVES - 727K
I think its work well, and more safety with the alloy adapter, in case of problem with the decompressor, no piece no part can fall into the engine
Can you add the links to the parts you are going to use?

The S&S tool is needed only to do not damage the wires... if you cut the wires you could use any socket tool with enough reach.

frenchie

hi thank you
you say it's possible to uninstall the release compression without uninstalling the rocker box? you confirm?
I put the link of the 14mm alloy adapters to enhance the decompressors, it's an idea that I had, I do not know technically what it's worth? at the beginning I thought to install directly release comprression vulcan 14 mm manuals ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Art-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

then I told myself the 14mm alloy adapters combined with the manual compression release jim's it will be good for the height of the set.
without burning your fingers, quick to put into action.

now I hope I can uninstall the releaser compression without touching the rocker boxes.
Here it's difficult to get S & S and big dog parts, ebay sellers have a hard time answering for international shipping. However I love your country and support the Frog Foundation for Chris Kyle ....
in case you need to uninstall the rocker boxes to install new compression release manuals I will need the S & S gasket kit for big dog S & S motor 117 CI 2007.
if a member can tell me where can i get them with international shipping?
thank you

francoblay1

The Spaniard
hi thank you
you say it's possible to uninstall the release compression without uninstalling the rocker box? you confirm?
I put the link of the 14mm alloy adapters to enhance the decompressors, it's an idea that I had, I do not know technically what it's worth? at the beginning I thought to install directly release comprression vulcan 14 mm manuals ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Art-Compression-Release-Adaptor-14mm-x-3-4-Reach-CRA-1/232641841398?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

then I told myself the 14mm alloy adapters combined with the manual compression release jim's it will be good for the height of the set.
without burning your fingers, quick to put into action.

now I hope I can uninstall the releaser compression without touching the rocker boxes.
Here it's difficult to get S & S and big dog parts, ebay sellers have a hard time answering for international shipping. However I love your country and support the Frog Foundation for Chris Kyle ....
in case you need to uninstall the rocker boxes to install new compression release manuals I will need the S & S gasket kit for big dog S & S motor 117 CI 2007.
if a member can tell me where can i get them with international shipping?
thank you
I cannot confirm it as I did not try. I was going to install Manual CRs but I ended up replacing them by new OEM ones.

I know how difficult is getting parts from the US to us, (Im in Spain), but its being done, some vendors have no problem in shipping worldwide. You can also ask Curtis, @KaptinAmerika , he will send to you whatever parts you.need.
Check his webpage out: http://www.wildsteedworx.com/

:chopper:

frenchie

hi
thank you neighbor! it makes me happy I'm doing my mechanics myself,and for my big dog friends but I will not reinstall electric compression release.
the photos of the beginning of the post are significant, part of the parts of the needle fell in the engine ...

frenchie

hello
a quick note to rectify an error I made ...I thought one of the parts needle or part of the S & S electric defective compression could fall into the release cylinder.This accident can not happen at the bottom of the well of compression release, there is a closed bowl just with a small hole on the side to let the compression ...so no accident is possible, forum members had to know and had to laugh while reading the stupidity written on my post ... laughingI was influenced because I had in the past a screamin eagle hight compression engine or the predicted hole for compression release directly into the cylinder head ...now to give news.My system works well. I uninstalled the electric compression release and I installed alloy 14mm adapters, to give the height then I installed Jim's compression release on top.This allows you to push the buttons without burning your fingers,in modification I had just slightly modify the alloy adapters to get a long thread thread.after testing it works perfectly and the replacement cost is minimal2 adapters 14MM alloy 3/4 to 10mm Inside and 2 manual decompressors jim's 10mm.The height is good, voila if it can help ....