Voltage Regulator Recall

Energy One

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I rode up to the dealer to get my VR recall done this morning. They put a 50amp fuse box under my seat. I'm going to have keep an extra one in my tool roll just in case it decides to go.
Chuck, is it just the angle or did they only put one of the two screws in? Doesn't look like it seated all the way down on the right side.

:flag:

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Well, The fuse mod was out when my bike went in the first time for the new VR to go in when mine failed. I called BDM yesterday to ask them why they didn't put the fuse mod on my bike when they put the updated VR in it and she told me that the 06 07 VR's have the safety built in and the fuse is not needed. It is only needed if you have a working 04 05 VR.

So my bike is at the shop for the second VR failure. As of now the VR hasn't been tested but the EHC is shot and so is my new battery, so that is the same thing that happened last time the VR went south.

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
So is BDM going to take care of everything? They need to maybe send ya some chrome for the troubles...

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Well, the bike is out of warranty, but they are taking care of it because it is a recall and a pre existing issue that keeps returning.
I just need to go over and help remove the head out of the dealers ass so that this doesn't become a 6-8 week ordeal. I would like to go to Daytona maybe if it works out.

lee

Well, the bike is out of warranty, but they are taking care of it because it is a recall and a pre existing issue that keeps returning.
I just need to go over and help remove the head out of the dealers ass so that this doesn't become a 6-8 week ordeal. I would like to go to Daytona maybe if it works out.
6-8 weeks! Jake you could probably build a Big Dog yourself from scratch quicker than that - I see a lot of posts on here where bikes are with the dealers for weeks - is that a common thing over there?

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Yep, I have had two BDM's and I can't count how many times my bike has been in the shop for over 4 weeks at a time. I am guessing 6-8 times it has been in the shop for 4-8 weeks each time.

lee

Yep, I have had two BDM's and I can't count how many times my bike has been in the shop for over 4 weeks at a time. I am guessing 6-8 times it has been in the shop for 4-8 weeks each time.
Jesus - that could be over a year in total!

bdmridgeback

Low Down Chop Shop
Well, as of now the dealer has narrowed it down to the problem and we are waiting for an answer to wether or not BDM is backing it?

The dealer found that the battery was dead and when they pulled it out the side of the battery was all bulged out and leaking. So it looks as though the charging system is over charging the battery or the Voltage Regulator spiked but it is still good. The EHC is cooked and so is my new Interstate AGM battery.

We'll see.

Chopper Dave

SIICK!!!
Well, as of now the dealer has narrowed it down to the problem and we are waiting for an answer to wether or not BDM is backing it?

The dealer found that the battery was dead and when they pulled it out the side of the battery was all bulged out and leaking. So it looks as though the charging system is over charging the battery or the Voltage Regulator spiked but it is still good. The EHC is cooked and so is my new Interstate AGM battery.

We'll see.

damn Jake.....hopefully BDM will take care of ya.....
are you going to stick with the same battery?

Gas Man

Cool isn't cheap
Calendar Participant
Well I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt anything to do a fuse with the CB anyway.... The only downfall would be another connection. But really its not even that, cause you could eliminate the wire from the CB to the battery and replace it with the in line fuse wiring. eye loop to CB and eye loop to battery... that's probably what I'm going to do.

Going to hit up the auto store today and see what they got. But basically the same thing as this...
EBAY - 8gauge fuse holder with 2-40amp fuses
Just FYI

I corrected this link cause it was to a ATC not a MAXI. BDM suggests a MAXI not a ATC due to more realiability.

SDDOGGER

Just throwing my .02 in

I think the excuse SLOW REACTING on the cicuit breaker is BS. I think the circuit breaker was the problem all along. There was probably a bad,loose,faulty connection (probably from vibration) in the CB causing the VR to over amp (no protection for the vr since fuse is after), and we all know what happens from there. loose connection = overamp = overtemp = warp bus bar= snap crackle pop = :angry:. I guess i never seen a CB in a car, so if you have a CB donate to the local land fill dont use it as a secondary protection!