Voltage regulator burned up!

Energy One

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
for the newbs out there that are buying pre-'07 bikes with low miles (or even if they don't have low miles), there was a recall on the voltage regulators in late 2007 after there was a spate of them melting and catching on fire. would not be a bad idea to pull yours and check the number on the mounting surface. if it starts with "06", might want to go ahead and replace it.

cdogg556

Guru
for the newbs out there that are buying pre-'07 bikes with low miles (or even if they don't have low miles), there was a recall on the voltage regulators in late 2007 after there was a spate of them melting and catching on fire. would not be a bad idea to pull yours and check the number on the mounting surface. if it starts with "06", might want to go ahead and replace it.
Yea that is some good info for sure! Even though my bike is an 09 it still happened to me! If I would have known, I definitely would have changed it!

Joose3

Holy crap. I went for a ride when it was pretty hot out and when I got back and shut it off I could smell something burning. I looked it over but couldn't find anything obvious. I'll have to check the voltage regulator out. If this is it could it have done any damage to anything other than itself?

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Holy crap. I went for a ride when it was pretty hot out and when I got back and shut it off I could smell something burning. I looked it over but couldn't find anything obvious. I'll have to check the voltage regulator out. If this is it could it have done any damage to anything other than itself?
Nah, if its the VR just change it for a good one nd you are good to go!.

Joose3

OK. Thanks Fanco. I'll check it out today. Did you get your replacement from WSW? I am a little curious about the four wire connections as opposed to the stock three wire connections. I wonder if the forth wire is an external ground connection and the stock VR does the grounding through the mounting fixture?

francoblay1

The Spaniard
OK. Thanks Fanco. I'll check it out today. Did you get your replacement from WSW? I am a little curious about the four wire connections as opposed to the stock three wire connections. I wonder if the forth wire is an external ground connection and the stock VR does the grounding through the mounting fixture?
You answered yourself... its just the ground. Mine came also with 4. Cut it short and attach it to one of the bolts from the VR to the frame. Simple, even I did it right at the first go! lol Honest, very simple.

cdogg556

Guru
Big question what caused it to burn?
I burnt one up during the rebuild due to a short
That's what I am wondering myself Paul! Hopefully it just was a bad VR, when I pulled the cylinders to replace the base gaskets I was checking my connections under the tank and I applied diletic grease to the connections to keep water out, well I put a little to much and didn't realize that diletic grease is a condutor and the wires were shorting out and causing the bike to die, so I think maybe that might have been what screwed up the VR, not sure though!

Last edited:
As Paul stated earlier, find out why it went up in smoke.
If it was just the VR fine buy a quality, i.e. CompUFire, series regulator and replace it.
Yes there expensive but their worth it. Of course with your "Supporting Member" discount they are a little cheaper...:)
Stay away from the stock BD stuff as it is Chinese, or Asian of some sort, knock off crap.

Little-Boo

Troop Supporter
Vibration is one of the causes for the stock VR to go bad. The older VR's with a date before 9/2006 or somewhere around that time were recalled when BDM was still up. I replaced mine then and never had any problems with the replacement VR. The last couple of years I have been running the Compufire System and all is good. If your interested in a New Stock VR that I purchased from BDM as a spare, let me know. I think $65 bucks shipped is a fair price, let me know.

Carlos

Last edited:

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Not sure why some people think dielectric grease is conductive, because its not. It's an insulator and used to keep moisture out of connections.

If your dielectric grease is conductive to electricity, it's not dielectric grease.

BigDogBro1

Made in the USA

That's what I am wondering myself Paul! Hopefully it just was a bad VR, when I pulled the cylinders to replace the base gaskets I was checking my connections under the tank and I applied diletic grease to the connections to keep water out, well I put a little to much and didn't realize that diletic grease is a condutor and the wires were shorting out and causing the bike to die, so I think maybe that might have been what screwed up the VR, not sure though!
Tim is 100% correct!

Dielectric grease is NOT electrically conductive otherwise all the pins on my EHC would be shorted out. It's an insulator and protectant covering.

You must have had a short by some other means.