stalling while riding but re-starts

bruce

stalls while riding - will need to check but am pretty sure I lose electrical power - will have to check head light next time it stalls, has been starting after it stalls if I while a little. so starts fine, just installed new battery. at idle red light steady/ flickering, yellow light steady, green light flashing. Is this normal or is the green light a problem - have been reading shop manual and shows green light is for starter should it go out after start up.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I had this a couple of years ago -- turned out it was a loose wire, but before I found it while trying to get home the tach fried.
Fix this ASAP or else you're likely to loose more.

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
Had this same issue last year, jumpered the key switch and that cured the problem, replaced the key switch with a new one from D&D. Problem solved :chopper:

bruce

Thank you for the replies the battery brand new, bike turns over better than ever with 400 CCA, the stalling problem I've had for a while, but not that often so hard to find because it was so intermittent, did not ride all winter, I installed a new battery then I rode last week it stalled multiple times but not until it warmed up. I took battery out unhook the connectors to the EHC clean and filled with dielectric grease check that whole area and reinstall. When weather breaks I'll get a chance to ride again and see if anything that I did helped, I'm pretty sure it's a power loss thing also I did wiggle and play with the key switch while engine was running seeing if I could get it to stall it did not, the next time it's stalls I'm hoping I can quickly check the lights on the EHC and crank it to see what I do or don't get also quickly plan to check to see if I have any power when it stalls I checking to see if my headlight is out.IMG_20190623_155810.jpg

1 B.M.F.

My negative side was so loose the the post melted. thought of everything before I figured to even check the cable. Burnt my little piggy checking lol. Start there and your grounds. If that doesn’t fix it look at your gas cap if it has a white tab on it pull it off it’s might be vapor locking I’ve have heard of that but mine was already removed. Good luck, keep the great guys on here posted and some one will figure it out if you don’t.

Clubba

My negative side was so loose the the post melted. thought of everything before I figured to even check the cable. Burnt my little piggy checking lol. Start there and your grounds. If that doesn’t fix it look at your gas cap if it has a white tab on it pull it off it’s might be vapor locking I’ve have heard of that but mine was already removed. Good luck, keep the great guys on here posted and some one will figure it out if you don’t.
Yep. Always check your grounds! They can cause havoc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clubba

stalls while riding - will need to check but am pretty sure I lose electrical power - will have to check head light next time it stalls, has been starting after it stalls if I while a little. so starts fine, just installed new battery. at idle red light steady/ flickering, yellow light steady, green light flashing. Is this normal or is the green light a problem - have been reading shop manual and shows green light is for starter should it go out after start up.
Also make sure your fuel line isn’t too close to the head. That could cause the fuel to heat up in vapor lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruce

So finally got to Ride some, I installed a new battery just because my old one was pretty old and batteries can cause a lot of weird s*** with these bikes, after you ride about 20 minutes stalled again but then restart it and I got to stall again and this time when it stalled I had a small screwdriver where I could check for spark and had no spark when I was trying to crank, also I notice absolutely no lights whatsoever flashing or blinking on my EHC. After I sat a little bit the bike restarted and ran fine back to the shop. But even after it started I still had absolutely no lights flashing of any kind on the EHC, inside the shop with the engine running no lights on the EHC, try turn signals high beams other things and no lights came on at all even though before they were.

Last edited:

Sven

Say my 2003 minus 2020 = 17 years of the ehc pins and connectors not moving, where electrolysis might creep in on the contacts. Just a few pulls and pushes back in can break the resistance, scrape a new cut into the electro... is another 17yrs of good to go riding there and back:
1. Not battery.
2. Not gas cap.
3. Spark/no spark - electro.
4. Black box is not burned out and restarts - electro.

bruce

Say my 2003 minus 2020 = 17 years of the ehc pins and connectors not moving, where electrolysis might creep in on the contacts. Just a few pulls and pushes back in can break the resistance, scrape a new cut into the electro... is another 17yrs of good to go riding there and back:
1. Not battery.
2. Not gas cap.
3. Spark/no spark - electro.
4. Black box is not burned out and restarts - electro.
Prior to this I have removed the connectors from the EHC clean and filled with dielectric grease and reconnect it, after that I started and all the lights were working properly as they were before I did this. But thank you

Sven

How about the grounds to frame? Braided ground strap from engine to frame (if applies). New scraped metal surfaces from ground strap on frame side to frame to ground strap re-scrape; are those two contact points.
Think... black box always comes back online so it's a ground wire problem, more than a hard part burning out on the motherboard.

1 B.M.F.

I’m not saying this is what it is BUT : mine did the exact same thing. No lights no nothing.i replaced EHC with axels unit from wild steed worx... no more problems. But before you spend $550 + $105 ehc+Voltage regulator. Try cleaning crank sensor and the sensor on your tranny. It didn’t help mine but that was recommended as well as replacing head light plastic plug for a ceramic one. Didn’t help. But at least it won’t melt now. EHC fixed all mine. As Sven said 2003-2020= 17 years of ?????good luck. Curtis is pretty damn tech savvy give him a call at 619-823-8557 leave a brief message and he will call you back.

bruce

I’m not saying this is what it is BUT : mine did the exact same thing. No lights no nothing.i replaced EHC with axels unit from wild steed worx... no more problems. But before you spend $550 + $105 ehc+Voltage regulator. Try cleaning crank sensor and the sensor on your tranny. It didn’t help mine but that was recommended as well as replacing head light plastic plug for a ceramic one. Didn’t help. But at least it won’t melt now. EHC fixed all mine. As Sven said 2003-2020= 17 years of ?????good luck. Curtis is pretty damn tech savvy give him a call at 619-823-8557 leave a brief message and he will call you back.
thank you very much I did clean and check crank sensor looked and appeared fine also did some ohm tests on it did not do anything with the Tran. Sensor, headlight plug looks fine because I did have to replace my bulb just a month or so ago but thank you for all the help and the phone number I will give Curtis a call and possibly send my EHC to be checked