Should You 'Plug' A Motorcycle Tire?

Dispatch

Got a bike with a slow leak in the front tire but was wondering, should you plug a motorcycle tire or is replacement the only option?

Last edited:

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Got a bike with a slow leak in the front tire but was wondering, should you plug a motorcycle tire or is replacement the only option?
First, are you sure the slow leak is from a puncture?
My last slow leak was from the bead -- pulled tire off and cleaned the rim, re-installed and all is well.

A plug from the inside of the tire done in the shop I might trust and as Hman says home/to repair shop is ok but I'd rather rely on AAA+RV and get it towed. Not a lot of margin of error with only 2 wheels.

Jersey James

Jersey James
I'm an older guy, I have plugged my rear tire on my Pit Bull twice. This was approximately two years ago & no problems. I am NOT going to throw out a tire that has 2,000 miles or more life left in it. I understand that "booting" the tire from the inside, is the preferred method of repair. Just my two pennies... JJ

Twincam8888

I've used mushroom type plugs on radial and bias ply motorcycle tires. Tire companies and their lawyers don't like it but depending on the location of the leak they work fine.

Mikeinjersey

Your best bet is to replace the tire if you find a nail or screw in it. I've used plugs on cars and never had a failure but failure would only mean a temp delay while changing the tire on the side of the road. On your bike it's a tow truck or worse. I check my air pressure and battery connections before each ride and oil when I return.

PROFLYER

SWOLE
Many of us have plugged them with good success, especially if the tire still has plenty of life left. It'll throw off the balance quite a bit though, so I'd suggest some dyna beads to even that out.

alxdamon

I agree with PROFLYER. I have had a standard plug in my rear tire for the past year and a half with no issues. Dyna Beads are a plus, been using them for ages.

Sven