Open Primary

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Mine's closed. I think I like it better that way, but my brother has been looking for a K9 after riding mine. He has come across a few with open primaries and was asking me about switching it back.
So your primary is a closed dry belt? My neighbor across the street has that on his Harley-Davidson.

bruce

Hugely disappointed with my Karata. Identical to #4 BDM7250 above. I only got less than 7,000 miles out of the first clutch. Plates were OK but the basket had grooves from the clutch friction plate teeth and it would grab and drag your ass into an intersection. So I paid for a new (aluminum) basket and clutch stack. Karata owner told me it was because I lugged the engine. I got about 20,000 (mostly touring) miles out of the that one before the same thing happened. Guarantee it never saw below 2500 rpm. Karata blamed me again and I bought another basket and clutch pack, took the whole damn thing off and sold it To a guy from Wichita building a show bike.
Went back to OEM. I know of one other Forum member who had the identical issue with the same response from Karata. I concluded that The issue lies wiith faulty design of an aluminum basket that cannot withstand the clutch splines hammering the basket. As mentioned, it makes grooves which capture the discs and prevents lateral separation when you pull in the clutch lever, so the clutch cannot release once it begins to engage.
I heard Karata has gone out of business and many parts are now unavailable. Pretty sure the basket that fails isn’t available.
PS Avoid gravel roads. I mistakenly ran into one down in TX and it cost be $200 to replace it due to the number of holes in the belt.
I had the same issue, when I sent out to have my auto clutch from EMF installed he found me a set of new clutch plates that are aluminum and twice as thick as the metal ones, have about 16 to 20,000 miles on it and have not had any issues no cuts in my hub like yours this time.