Older Dogs getting any love here?

Jersey James

Jersey James
Two old farts here. 03 Pit Bull, 61 years old rider. Still riding hard on a ridgid, hope the legs hold up, for a few more years. Love the looks of the 03 Pit; classic style ridgid, fat bob tanks, old school looks, new school power.

LamboV12

My First Dog

Found these pix of my first dog. I did a 250 rear swing arm / tire kit - made the seat pan out of fiberglass and my buddy painted it. Brings back some old memories. I think she looks pretty good even by today's standards.

You can still do a lot with an older dog...

Attachments

Last edited:

BigJimCT

Found these pix of my first dog. I did a 250 rear swing arm / tire kit - made the seat pan out of fiberglass and my buddy painted it. Brings back some old memories. I think she looks pretty good even by today's standards.

You can still do a lot with an older dog...
The bike looks awesome! Do you remember where you got that 250 kit from? I was thinking about that as next winters project. :2thumbs:

vintage

new member 1996 big dog vintage. does anyone know how many were built in 1996. I have project #87th bike still very clean

BigDogRider

I got a 2000 Pit. Its is an awesome bike, but I found that the stock rear rim is 16" x 5.25", which is a very odd size rim and very hard to find. The owner before me had put a 5.75 rim on and it caused the belt to rub the tire. So be gentle on those rear rims unless you want a major headache.

Oldhvymetal

I see the last reply to this thread September 2010... I just got on here a week or so ago. Personally, I think this thread should keep going, or a section be made on the site for older BD's, even if it failed before. Obviously being selfish I suppose. A local friend with an older Bulldog and I trade information between us two all the time, I'll try to get him on here. It would be great to make this type of info I-net wide on this site.

I got a 2000 Vintage Sport. In all reality it took me some three years to make it "right" after I bought it, but I don't hold that against BD or anybody else, it was my decision to buy it when it was new, and I had been riding/wrenching for a long time before I did. Not throwing roses at anybody (especially myself), but the fact is that a lot of folks who were inexperienced at the time bought these machines thinking they were "all that" when the company and their dealership network was rather new. I had some frustrations, maybe more than some others, but I didn't quit- that's not in my nature I guess. So now I got a unique machine, more reliable than many others out there, and at one point in 2003 was told by the (2nd in the area after the first one folded) dealer: "You know all that stuff we did together to yours? ...most of that stuff will be stock on the 2004's."
I told 'im: "Good- what do I get as a discount for a new 2004?."
He said: "Nuthin'."

It never hurts to try lol... but if you don't think that's the same thing HD and Victory and all the other lesser known manufacturers go through with their new models, then all respect you ain't been riding long enough.

I read the beginning of this thread and the end of it, and now I've had my say. Apologies to those in the middle I didn't read, limited time. I think this site would be a good place for older Dog owners to trade info on, even if there aren't many of us anymore. Just sayin'...

There's older riders, great wrenches, with newer BD's who's input would be appreciated, and newer riders with older BD's that they got cheap now because that's life- that could use the help, 'cause that's the way it is... I don't see any harm in keeping an old dog thread or even a section around... prolly wouldn't take up too much disk space on the server anyway- it's a "dying breed thing", lol!

Guess I already wrote too much... apologies for that. You get the drift by now I'm sure. If I can help any with the newer model guys I will, but I don't have anything but bad luck from the past over many different types of bikes I've owned over the years to offer in so far as details, take it as it comes.
Peace, Respect,
OHM

rca1952

Amen on the 02 ProSport! I have one myself and although it gave me nothing but elec. problems for the first few years and all of my bro's said to sell the damn thing, I just smiled and call it my problem child and now it's got 41,000 and hardly any elec. problems anymore, I'll never get rid of it!!!......

dermer

99 v. sport

Working thru electrical and clutch issues at this time, and replaced the front fork seals, but the big dog is solid on the road and has beaucoup power. Haven't hit the end of the throttle yet, need new tires first.

We have had a pretty wet and miserable spring but I'm finally gettin some road time in. :flag:

OldDog

Old guy on a Old Dog needs help.

I am 59 and have a 02 Pitbull that I just made a trade for, the bike is like new with only 4K miles. The Pitbull runs real well, but some times it just shuts down as I am cruising, and then it will start back up and go a few more miles and then shut down again. I don't know if it is a electrical problem or a carb/fuel problem. Any ideas guys? Could it be a vapor lock?