nail in rear tire

Energy One

orly

As I was pulling out the BD I noticed a nail in the rear tire. It's not even that old.

Crap, crap, CRAP!!!

I called a couple of shops and they won't 'patch' the tire (because of liability issues). So they want me to buy a new one...a very expensive new one.

I guess I could look at the bright-side, since I found it before I left I didn't get stranded. And, yes they do have a replacement in stock.

Anyways, my question is: Can I get it pached or is that not a good idea? (well actually, I know I CAN get it patched but SHOULD I get it patched?)

TVDR

06 Ridgeback
I had a nail in my tire also last year and the tire is so soft that it actually covered the nail up.... But I rode for about a week or two like this with out any problems I finally ordered a new tire from the Motorcycle super store it came in a couple days....:cheers::2thumbs::eek:

Splitlog

I rode with a plug in my tire for 3000 miles with NO problem.....if it was a FRONT tire I would replace it....

PurpleDog

Only you can decide if you'd like to gamble having the rear tire go out on ya at 'X' speed; I'm sure you'll consider your skill level and ability to keep the bike up or in the right lane when making your decision. Have you ever tried to control a bike at speed with no air in the rear tire? No one really knows the odds of that actually happening are I'd bet.

I'd go with replacing it; maybe you are luckier and/or more skilled a rider than me though.

08mastiff

Orly just my .02 but I must say I agree with everyone. I personally had a coarse drywall screw in my rear tire and I elected to just stick a plug in it from a $10 kit I bought at Auto Zone. I know most would frown upon this but it has been about 1,000 miles since and it's holding air just fine. I advise that everyone check the air pressure in the tires weekly, regardless. Good luck.

GDOG_PITBULL

Are you guys kidding me....plug the fucking thing and ride it!!!! I have personally done it several times and on sport bikes and done over 130 mph on the tire. Anybody that thinks a nail hole is going to compromise the strength or integrity of the tire (at what...70..maybe 80 mph...tops) must be a tire salesman!!!:loony:
Don't mean this to be a rant but Jesus Christ, keep some frickin common sense in the equation. This is just my opinion after being a car and bike guy for 40 years or so now!
G

GDOG_PITBULL

Only you can decide if you'd like to gamble having the rear tire go out on ya at 'X' speed; I'm sure you'll consider your skill level and ability to keep the bike up or in the right lane when making your decision. Have you ever tried to control a bike at speed with no air in the rear tire? No one really knows the odds of that actually happening are I'd bet.

I'd go with replacing it; maybe you are luckier and/or more skilled a rider than me though.
Purple Dog you are dead on about the air pressure!!! That is the only caveat to my earlier post is that you must maintain the proper pressure and be aware of it. I really do not see a mass deflation risk from a nail....unless the use it on rail road tracks...lol
G

Splitlog

YEP PLUG IT !
My plug was dead center and I ran it bald with no problems...just checked pressures as you should anyway.....save your money

Willy Hank

Plug It. it's not side wll damage or a bubble that formed. If it is a straight classic puncture plug it. I've plug'd tires and drove 100+ mph on the tire.

PurpleDog

lol, I always plug car/truck tire. But I'll never forget that one time the wife called to advise that she had a 'blow out' in her Grand Cherokee. When I arrived on the scene, my stomach kinda twisted up when I discovered a plug that I had just put in was the source of her tire splitting open catastrophically. Why that one out of the many I've done over the years, I dunno.

GDog, i hear ya and would normally agree with ya; but I'd bet you'd feel like shit if you later learned of something similar happening to a guy on 2 wheels.

His decision though right.

BWG56

Guru
If you use a mushroom headed plug, not a little piece of folded rubber you stick thru a tire, you would have to hit speeds that you can't achieve and the tire will fly apart before the mushroom plug flies out, unless the hole was that big you could stick a pencil thru. I 've been plugging tires for years properly with mushroom plugs which require a gun to install.
I would agree to replace if the plug was stuffed thru the tire and not done properly.

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
PLUG AND CHUG! I had a slow leak in my tire for the first 18 months I had the bike, I just regularly checked the pressure and added air, then when the tire was wore out I replaced it.......I had three small finishing nails in my tire that I couldn't see from the outside.

Ray

I guess I could look at the bright-side, since I found it before I left I didn't get stranded. { Quote!!!!!!!}

Stranded is like a million times better than getting hurt/dead and getting the dog messed up as well!!!!

If you can get it off and maybe , just maybe you could get Discount Tire to patch it. They told me when they fixed a brand new Michelin on my truck the plug/ patch they install would out last the tire..

They might do it ,,

Personally I would get a New Tire!!!!!

Ray

UKcatsfan

I have a 2006 K9 with a 300 rear tire. I stopped on the side of the expressway waiting for my buddies to meet up. I pulled back onto the expressway and made it about 5 miles down the expressway going about 70mph when my bike started shaking out of control. I thought the girl on the back of my bike was leaning off the side or doing something really stupid. It took everything I had to keep the bike under control and get it to the side of road. It was probably the most freaked out I've ever been on my bike. Once on the side of the road I couldn't figure out what had happened because it felt like I had totally lost control of the steering, so I kept looking at the front of the bike to figure out what went wrong. After a few minutes, I discovered I had picked up a nail in my brand new rear tire, which had about 300 miles on it at the time. Needless to say, after that experience, I ordered another new tire because the thought of going through something like that again was not something that appealed to me. So, my recommendation, don't chance it, buy a new tire!

silver09

Plug it !!! I plugged a friend of mine Harley he's put 4000 miles on that plug and he rides hard and fast.Only if it's the rear though I've even plugged drag tires before but maybe I'm just crazy!:loony:

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
I plugged a hole in my rear tire caused by a nail at 6500 miles, and the tire is still going fine 13000 miles later. Do not use a cheap plug kit. I also check air pressure every week or more.