nail in rear tire

TMK9

I had a nail puncture from riding on the shoulder. I plugged it and rode on it for a few hundred miles with no problems. Over the winter I bought a new rear tire and had the shop patch and plug the old one so I have a spare if I'm in a pinch.

Brew

Troop Supporter
Don't know what it is about our roads but I got a nail and a screw in two separate tires within a two week period. I bought a new tire the first time but when it happened two weeks later I said screw it and plugged the tire the second time. I didn't have any issues until my tire started splitting from the side to the middle. Seems Avon’s are becoming known for this anomaly... I would plug it and ride.

KnotSo

Admin
Staff member
Don't know what it is about our roads but I got a nail and a screw in two separate tires within a two week period. I bought a new tire the first time but when it happened two weeks later I said screw it and plugged the tire the second time. I didn't have any issues until my tire started splitting from the side to the middle. Seems Avon’s are becoming known for this anomaly... I would plug it and ride.
Could have something to do with all the road construction projects we have, lot of construction materials wind up in the road.:bang:
Unless it is a sidewall, plug it and ride it. :up:

BOBE

I only know of one person to live from a rear tire blowout and he went on a wild ride before crashing in a ditch. I also know of a cop and his wife that had a blowout at 55 and killed both. It's not worth it, buy a new tire.

orly

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I found a HD dealer that had two 280's - I guess they have a hard time trying to sell them since 240 is the largest their machine handles so I got a pretty good deal.

After I picked up the tire I was gonna take the wheel off the bike and have the shop replace/balance but the guy at the shop said they would do it for an extra $20, so I went ahead and dropped off the bike yesterday....and got a call last night that it's ready. Sweet!

BTW, I do plan to plug/repair the tire and keep it as a spare. Also, if anyone in the Houston area is looking for an Avon Venom 280 40 20 for about $180, I think they still have one left - Stubbs HD on Telephone Rd.

Blackie

Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Plug

Plugged mine and ran another 2500 miles till it was bald as my head...then got a new tire..330 tires aint cheap!!!

GDOG_PITBULL

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I found a HD dealer that had two 280's - I guess they have a hard time trying to sell them since 240 is the largest their machine handles so I got a pretty good deal.

After I picked up the tire I was gonna take the wheel off the bike and have the shop replace/balance but the guy at the shop said they would do it for an extra $20, so I went ahead and dropped off the bike yesterday....and got a call last night that it's ready. Sweet!

BTW, I do plan to plug/repair the tire and keep it as a spare. Also, if anyone in the Houston area is looking for an Avon Venom 280 40 20 for about $180, I think they still have one left - Stubbs HD on Telephone Rd.
So you would run a plugged / repaired tire that is a spare but not plug it while it was on the bike and run it? I don't get the logic there, but I will agree that anything that keeps you from worrying / gives you piece of mind is worth something in $$$...ride safe sir!!!!:cheers:
G

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
A nail in the tire.
......Oh hell just sell the whole motorcycle and get a new one. :whoop:

Yeah...... why in the world would you plug it and save it as a spare, if paranoia forced you to remove and replace it. :loony:

Besides where are you going to mount a spare tire on the bike. :loony:

Just fuckin with you man. Your saftey concerns are your business. :2thumbs:

orly

Actually you are right, paranoia did get the best of me originally. So when I found a new one at a pretty good price I jumped on it. Then a day or two later reality set in and I realized that I probably overreacted - but by that time I had already bought the tire and taken the bike to the shop. At that point I just figured I would repair the old one and keep it....so I could throw it at you for bustin my chops. HA!

And I don't mind the teasing.....it keeps me right.

A nail in the tire.
......Oh hell just sell the whole motorcycle and get a new one. :whoop:

Yeah...... why in the world would you plug it and save it as a spare, if paranoia forced you to remove and replace it. :loony:

Besides where are you going to mount a spare tire on the bike. :loony:

Just fuckin with you man. Your saftey concerns are your business. :2thumbs:

1BADK9

Limited Edition Member
Cool Orly, yeah I'll be honest, I do check my tire pressure alot and I inspect the wheels, tires, and hardware associated alot, because a tire or wheel failure when you only have two is a BIG DEAL! Good thing is you are up and running. There a quite few folks on here, including myself that will "joke" with peopled just for fun. No disrespect intended as you noticed. :cheers: :2thumbs:

pattersonoilgas

Thanks guys. May not have been the best cause that town only had an AutoZone open so it was. 39 dollar slime heavy duty kit with a cement. It's held great so far for about 400mi