How AXEL's EHC is superior to OEM EHC....

Marky-Marc

So, went riding yesterday, came home and parked. I have and LOVE AXEL's EHC.....

Wanted to go riding again this AM with @xonionx , turn on bike....all lights acting normal with key switch and 'run' button....hit start...'electronic' whine?? Not turning over????? WTF??? AHHHHHHHHHHH

WTF??? So, since I was lazy, I put an OEM Big Dog EHC back in my bike, and, it started RIGHT UP! WTF?? So NOW I'm REALLY scratching my head....

So, we put Axel's EHC back in, wouldn't start, same WHINE......as I'm scratching my head, we started troubleshooting the electrical System......FOUND a SHORT in my REAR COMPRESSION RELEASE...AXEL's EHC would NOT start the bike because it had a short in it, but the OEM BIG DOG EHC WOULD???? What does THAT tell you?

Replaced my compression release that was shorting out.....put AXEL's EHC back in, NO PROBLEMS anymore....FIRED RIGHT UP!!!

Just an tidbit that shows how superior AXEL's EHC is to the OEM one....

Get Yours from Curtis....

Cheers.........

Mikeinjersey

So, went riding yesterday, came home and parked. I have and LOVE AXEL's EHC.....

Wanted to go riding again this AM with @xonionx , turn on bike....all lights acting normal with key switch and 'run' button....hit start...'electronic' whine?? Not turning over????? WTF??? AHHHHHHHHHHH

WTF??? So, since I was lazy, I put an OEM Big Dog EHC back in my bike, and, it started RIGHT UP! WTF?? So NOW I'm REALLY scratching my head....

So, we put Axel's EHC back in, wouldn't start, same WHINE......as I'm scratching my head, we started troubleshooting the electrical System......FOUND a SHORT in my REAR COMPRESSION RELEASE...AXEL's EHC would NOT start the bike because it had a short in it, but the OEM BIG DOG EHC WOULD???? What does THAT tell you?

Replaced my compression release that was shorting out.....put AXEL's EHC back in, NO PROBLEMS anymore....FIRED RIGHT UP!!!

Cheers.........
Hi Marky do you, by any chance, know if an electrical compression release on a BD can be replaced with a manual one with a 10 mm thread ?
Thanks Mike

Marky-Marc

Hi Marky do you, by any chance, know if an electrical compression release on a BD can be replaced with a manual one with a 10 mm thread ?
Thanks Mike
Mike, NO, unless you want to drill / tap your heads.

electronic comp release thread size: 13.9 mm X 20
Manual comp release thread size: 10mm x 1.0

Why would you want to go to manual ones?

If you are having issues with your electronic ones...you can replace/remove them WITHOUT pulling the heads or your rocker boxes.....if you didn't know....

Last edited:

Mikeinjersey

If you are having issues with your electronic ones...you can replace/remove them WITHOUT pulling the heads or your rocker boxes.....if you didn't know....
Wow you get up early! I don't have a current problem but noticed the price difference and thought if mine ever went bad it would be a less expensive option. Thanks for the info.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club

Cheers.........
Well this is a "feature" that is not implemented in the best method possible in my opinion.
A short in a compression release should disable that CR (and emit a distinct beep code/ flash a pattern on speedo etc since we have no normally visisble diag lights) and just make the bike HARD to start not strand you.
Since each CR comes back to the harness (on stock wiring) on seperate pins this is not an unreasonable expectation or implementation.

Mickmorris

Supporting Member

Cheers.........
Just curious.. when you refer to OEM BigDog EHC are you talking about the Thunderheart EHC? Thx

Mickmorris

Supporting Member

I prefer manual compression release myself. So simple.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I prefer manual compression release myself. So simple.
You could easily mod the electric ones to work "manually" by re-wiring to a new switch (hold and they're open)
or get fancier and wire the switch to a timer that controls a relay -- press switch and CR's are open for N seconds.
Could really up the game and rewire and read an output from engine (tach for example maybe and have a microcontroller hold CR's open til XXX RPM or N seconds)
Hell, if you don't want to see the switch, you could use a microcontroller and activate it via BLUETOOTH.

Microcontroller dev boards are dirt cheap from china and plenty of info/tips/tutorials on the net.

But unless the CR's are causeing you grief, I'd say leave well enough alone.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member

I also want to be there when someone tries sticking their finger in there to manually press it on a hot motor on a hot day at a gas stop...

There used to be some manufactures with a long reach 14mm manual option but those are gone these days....

Last edited: