damn!! i dont think thats rite

johnny-red

my son and i started to rebuild his shovel, Engine was rebuilt 7 years ago putting it togetther i fired it up sounded soooo good rode up and down the streetoil pressure 30 35 lots off pressure in the oil tank ttook it for a ride a few blocks oil started pitting out breather damnnnnnnnn oil continues to come out breather and theres no pressure in the oil tank and no oil returning to the tank it seems to be flow ing out the breather and i still have oil pressure

Sven

I think Jersey called it. Pumped the oil out of the tank into the engine out of the breather. That's why I'm confusion why all of a sudden no oil-P? And that key has to walk and drop first thing is no pressure. But seems like lines to call the key is still in the shaft.

john sachs

my son and i started to rebuild his shovel, Engine was rebuilt 7 years ago putting it togetther i fired it up sounded soooo good rode up and down the streetoil pressure 30 35 lots off pressure in the oil tank ttook it for a ride a few blocks oil started pitting out breather damnnnnnnnn oil continues to come out breather and theres no pressure in the oil tank and no oil returning to the tank it seems to be flow ing out the breather and i still have oil pressure
Check to be sure you have the proper cam cover gasket. You need the early gasket with the window segregation., not the later one used in later EVO engines without the window separation. IIRC, Shovels and EARLY Evos use the same cam cover gasket.
John

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
How I read this.
Engine was rebuilt 7yrs ago.
Recently they got around to redoing the bike.

Since the oil comes from the tank but does not return to tank would indicate a problem with the lines or incorrect oil filter.

Evo's for example will puke oil from heads (thru breather) if you use a Twin Cam filter -- ask me how I know!

Sven

I read it like this:

"...rebuilt 7 years ago..."
"... pressure 30 35..."
"... seems to be flowing out the breather and i still have oil pressure"

Two lines from the bag... gravity flow to the oil pump, and return line.

No slinger? That means the pistons coming down with pressure/along with compression past the rings, the bag is now the ground. Slinger being timed in the with the pressure to push it back out of the crankcase and back to the bag... No mention of the slinger on the bench or where does this go kind of question.

Kind of sounds like the lines have to be correct? Pump might have the key in place so as to pump the bag dry? Gravity would not spin the gears w/out key is the assumption so I'd top the bag off again so as not to run the engine dry and drain pan in place. It starts pumping into the drain pan... Pull the cone and check things out and/or oil pump?

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I read it like this:

"...rebuilt 7 years ago..."
"... pressure 30 35..."
"... seems to be flowing out the breather and i still have oil pressure"

Two lines from the bag... gravity flow to the oil pump, and return line.

No slinger? That means the pistons coming down with pressure/along with compression past the rings, the bag is now the ground. Slinger being timed in the with the pressure to push it back out of the crankcase and back to the bag... No mention of the slinger on the bench or where does this go kind of question.

Kind of sounds like the lines have to be correct? Pump might have the key in place so as to pump the bag dry? Gravity would not spin the gears w/out key is the assumption so I'd top the bag off again so as not to run the engine dry and drain pan in place. It starts pumping into the drain pan... Pull the cone and check things out and/or oil pump?
You are forgetting vent line.
I went with check plumbing since I recalled from years ago someone messing up the lines on there evo and not getting any return oil but don't recall the details/ Also it was the standard - check what has been worked on/changed.

Sven

Correct. Back of the tank is gravity line. Senior moment not thinking 3 out.

Edit:
They are probably right, but it's kind of obvious looking at it this way?
1. Back bottom line out is gravity to the bottom of the pump.
2. Oil return has to be on the top side of the oil pump.
3. Vent line is going to be off the case by the pushrod housing... old style if not current?

Last edited:

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Correct. Back of the tank is gravity line. Senior moment not thinking 3 out.

Edit:
They are probably right, but it's kind of obvious looking at it this way?
1. Back bottom line out is gravity to the bottom of the pump.
2. Oil return has to be on the top side of the oil pump.
3. Vent line is going to be off the case by the pushrod housing... old style if not current?
You're correct. They may be correct but checking never hurts and would also spot something stupid like a kinked line.
I don't know about you, but I have no idea the skill set of the people involved in this project, so I'll offer all options even if it is less likely but possible.