Clutch cable replacement in progress

Blair R

Hey guys,
So Im new here, so be patient with me..lol. Ive had my Mastiff for 4 years now, I should have signed in here long ago...anyway. Im in the process of replacing my clutch cable. I think its going pretty well. But...I do have a couple of things Id like to clear up before I get my ass handed to me.
Ive got the new cable into the ball and ramp. Its greased to high hell and Ive replaced the gasket and cover. I just wanna verify something. I have the stem of the swivelling unit at dead bottom center with the ball and cable in it. Is that correct? I noticed at first with it at the far side of the cable entry hole, there wasnt much slack in the cable for replacing into the lever at the end of the job. So its at the 6 oclock position. Is this right. I dont wanna get it all put back and not have enough pull to disengage the plates.
Also.....at the lever. I havent gotten into it yet...but the eyelet that is on the lever side of the cable is too big to go into the hole. This may sound dumb....but do I take the lever housing apart? If so...can anyone briefly describe the process? I know I have to insert the new retaining pin through the eyelet...but how am I gonna get the whole assembly into the housing?
Thanks for any help.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I'm sure marky Mark video is probably has all the information you need, he makes some awesome videos. But here's some pictures. On the ball ramps the first plate that goes in fits in a notch, so you really can't mess that up.
IMG_20210119_093135.jpg
Where it connects to the handle, first you need to remove the mirror, then if you look on the bottom you'll see a little slot that has two screws in it that's holding a plate that has a threaded hole.
IMG_20210119_093505.jpg
Remove the two screws, then find something that will thread into that hole or use a pic it should come out fairly easy. You're picking out a plate that looks like this
IMG_20210119_093309.jpg
Now look in the top, where the mirror stem went in and you'll see a little slot on the edge of the hole.
IMG_20210119_093419.jpg
Take a flat screwdriver and push the little barrel pivot thingy out
IMG_20210119_093326.jpg
The rest should be self-explanatory. Little dab of grease on all the pivots when you put it back together.

Mikeinjersey

Hey guys,
So Im new here, so be patient with me..lol. Ive had my Mastiff for 4 years now, I should have signed in here long ago...anyway. Im in the process of replacing my clutch cable. I think its going pretty well. But...I do have a couple of things Id like to clear up before I get my ass handed to me.
You may find this info helpful when it comes to adjusting your cable. One of the guys on this site posted it and I found it worked pretty well. Slightly different then BD service manual.

Attachments

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Welcome from Florida! With all those great tips you should be Up & Riding soon! Keep us posted on your situation!

mjsk9

Hey guys,
Ive got the new cable into the ball and ramp. Its greased to high hell and Ive replaced the gasket and cover. I just wanna verify something. I have the stem of the swivelling unit at dead bottom center with the ball and cable in it. Is that correct? I noticed at first with it at the far side of the cable entry hole, there wasnt much slack in the cable for replacing into the lever at the end of the job. So its at the 6 oclock position. Is this right. I dont wanna get it all put back and not have enough pull to disengage the plates.
Also.....at the lever. I havent gotten into it yet...but the eyelet that is on the lever side of the cable is too big to go into the hole. This may sound dumb....but do I take the lever housing apart? If so...can anyone briefly describe the process? I know I have to insert the new retaining pin through the eyelet...but how am I gonna get the whole assembly into the housing?
Thanks for any help.
Hi Blair and welcome from Indiana! I didn't see anywhere in your Introduction Thread or this one any reference to Service Manuals and whether or not you have one? In case you don't, you can find Service Manuals as well as additional information that can help you with any future issues you might have. This link is compliments of Mr. Wright from his signature line......

Cheers!

CHOP_CHOP

Just had by clutch cable snap yesterday on me after coming home from getting the bike inspected and current sticker for the plates.(11,387.8 miles on it).....came here and immediately found this thread and all the useful information. called Barnett ( that is who the mfg. is for the big dogs) and told them that i needed a SS clutch cable for the 02' big dog Pit Bull model. they are runnin 10 day out and was 110+ship.....will follow up when it arrives....

this seems to be a theme right now for the 02's. might want to keep track of this as it could be a defect

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Just had by clutch cable snap yesterday on me after coming home from getting the bike inspected and current sticker for the plates.(11,387.8 miles on it).....came here and immediately found this thread and all the useful information. called Barnett ( that is who the mfg. is for the big dogs) and told them that i needed a SS clutch cable for the 02' big dog Pit Bull model. they are runnin 10 day out and was 110+ship.....will follow up when it arrives....

this seems to be a theme right now for the 02's. might want to keep track of this as it could be a defect
Did you try,
www.bigdogpartskingpin.com

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member

Send Barnett back your old cable, they will rebuild it for under 20 bucks and then you've got a spare.