Chopper vs Deer

Energy One

jerry69

Hello all! I have a 2004 big dog chopper that I hit a deer on back in 2014 I'm now wanting to rebuild it. Trying to find parts for this bike. Where would the best place to start looking for parts at? Here is a couple pictures. Should I rebuild or find a rolling frame?IMG_2283.JPG59193353830__57BD8221-F3EC-4687-A3C6-5D29D9FE2170.JPG59018577524__AD085BFF-E0F9-41B0-966A-720C106D4AA7.JPG

Nཛ͢ཀཇཧ༏ཧי

... .... .- .. -.
Supporting Member
You’d likely be better off financially starting over with another bike, and parting this one out.
That being said, you wouldn’t be the first person to restore a totaled dog.
Links like a pretty hard hit, you might want to thoroughly check the frame before buying any parts.
If the frame is good, this bike would look really cool with a springer front end.

jerry69

Thanks guys for the reply’s. The bike did take a pretty good hit and I as well :) after a little down time I did build another bike (07 Road King) and I’m still riding. I must say I miss the power of that 117 S&S.

bikeone

Looks like a very hard Hit.
Crackings in the paint Surface are a signal for a damaged frame.
Rebuild bike is not cheap and ride with frame damage sucks.
Lookin for another 2004 chopper with damaged engine/transmittion and rebuild with used parts would be a plan......
New parts u can get from Derek and Donna , Curtis (Wildsteelworx) and from the builders at Kansas motorcycle works.
Wish good luck with parts hunting, mybe u can find some parts in this forum.

roadie1389

Its been said but if the frame is bent forget it.

Tubes are not that expensive but good luck finding that wheel. I was talking with Eric and he mentioned they were trying to get a few remade not sure the status on that one. Even if you do find a wheel you are about 800-1000 for it. Choppers are selling very cheap now a days. But if you part out the bike I will buy the coil cover assuming it has the stock key hole and is not damaged.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
If the frame isnt bad i would build it back...be a fun project to me...but thats me i like stuff like that...hardest thing to find will be a wheel but there is wheels out there....i sold a set just like those 2 months ago for cheap

Sven

My opinion would be to have the frame checked, or as bikeone said, go check the neck area for paint cracks. No cracks, lucky you. However, the dropping of a swiss watch is the lower crown taking the energy is one. Then the top crown talking the C clamps and twisting those suckers. You don't have those straightened. Show me a U bend at the straight coat hanger wire, then I'd like to see you get the S out of it if you think straightening out that wire is going to be perfectly straight again. Get it?

Hack saw the tubes to get the spring and inner parts out of the forks. No jobbers here to replace the crowns and fork tubes, then it's forking by franks for the tubes, a front wheel, front axle, and maybe paughco for a springer front end and call it a day.

roadie1389

My opinion would be to have the frame checked, or as bikeone said, go check the neck area for paint cracks. No cracks, lucky you. However, the dropping of a swiss watch is the lower crown taking the energy is one. Then the top crown talking the C clamps and twisting those suckers. You don't have those straightened. Show me a U bend at the straight coat hanger wire, then I'd like to see you get the S out of it if you think straightening out that wire is going to be perfectly straight again. Get it?

Hack saw the tubes to get the spring and inner parts out of the forks. No jobbers here to replace the crowns and fork tubes, then it's forking by franks for the tubes, a front wheel, front axle, and maybe paughco for a springer front end and call it a day.
You can buy a full tube set for with springs from Donna for $200 ,

The fender? It's fiberglass anyway, find a steel one from a K-9 or Ridge and have it painted.

jerry69

So here is some more pics of the bike! I will still have to have the frame looked at to make sure the frame isn't trashed. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think? The wheel and forks took the most damageIMG_2329.JPGIMG_2319.JPGIMG_2321.JPGIMG_2322.JPGIMG_2324.JPGIMG_2325.JPGIMG_2326.JPGIMG_2327.JPGIMG_2328.JPGIMG_2329.JPG

FrankBDPS

Wow there is more damage there than what could be seen in the first pics. The one that would concern me the most woul be the one of the right side down tube. That is a bad place to have what looks to be a kink in the tubing and the gusset appears to be bent also. That may be the death of rebuilding on that frame.

MossBerg590

Considering how cheap you can get another one I wouldnt bother with that but that's me. Would be a fun project but you will put more into it then you would ever get if you sell it so consider that.

roadie1389

Yeap, you got a ton of money/work into that bike to fix it right, even if the rest of the frame is any good. Shit a guy just sold an 03 for 4k. Did insurance pay you? Looking at that bike, they would of totaled that bike easy.

Minuteman

Man, glad you were able to walk away from the accident. Looking at the frame itself I must agree with the rest of them. you may want to look for another and salvage what parts you will need and sell the rest of the parts.

I will keep ya in mind!
Man glad your okay, I have an 04 pit bull frame and a bunch of parts gas tank fenders oil tank I would sell you on the cheap plus shipping. It will cost allot to build trust me on that and like others have said part it out and find a used one