Chopper Sofail ride quality question

Energy One

mittens

anyone know the exact part that fits a 2004 chopper?

Progressive? 422-4035c is the standard & 422-4001c is the fat guy version.

But do they fit? I found a post on here where a guy put the 422-4001c on a 2003. I assume my 2004 is the same?

ChopperFred

anyone know the exact part that fits a 2004 chopper?

Progressive? 422-4035c is the standard & 422-4001c is the fat guy version.

But do they fit? I found a post on here where a guy put the 422-4001c on a 2003. I assume my 2004 is the same?
The only part numbers I found was from an old list of BDM chopper part numbers.
For what it's worth, it says:
BDM130-00008 11" HIDDEN SHOCKS, 1220LB SPRG
BDM130-00010 BOLT, HEX SHOULDER(SHOCK)

boomer4444

might want to take a look at the way your rear fender is mounted onto the struts, might be able to tweak a half inch out of it with some shims etc! looks to me like they mounted the fender way to low on the struts which would compound bottoming out

mittens

I would thing bottoming out was not the tire hitting the fender, but the swing arm hitting the bump stops. and if so the fender bout should not matter?

boomer4444

possably,But i have seen plenty of bikes that had suspension issues that the inside of fender was rubbing the tire during suspension travel before getting to the bump stops,, worth checking as a possability . that was why I threw it out there ,take it as you wish,, advice is free! good troubleshootin mechanics are NOT! good luck

Bottoming out suspension

I ride a 2003 chopper and have never had a problem with it bottoming out, even two-up. However, I do find that the suspension doesn't work well above 70mph. It just doesn't recover quickly enough and it starts bouncing around. Now, I rarely ride above that speed anyway, but it would be nice if it smoothed out like most bikes to allow faster top speeds, particularly on open roads. My last bike was a lowered HD softail custom that had been heavily modified and, even it rode much better than my BDM. You're riding a hotrod after all so you can't expect a smooth ride. Like they say, "you can be cool, or comfortable." Sounds like you've made your choice.

mittens

Ok guys have some thing for you. Watch and Compare. This is my 190lbs father, with his left knee that was replaced 2 months ago, just pushing on the one rear peg while holding the bike up. you can see the rear suspension travel.

2004 Big Dog Chopper (softail) - YouTube

Now to me if its only supposed to barley move with 200lbs fully sitting on it, then its moving to much at this point. Just figured I would share. since he sent me the video.

mittens

Ok guys have some thing for you. Watch and Compare. This is my 190lbs father, with his left knee that was replaced 2 months ago, just pushing on the one rear peg while holding the bike up. you can see the rear suspension travel.

Now to me if its only supposed to barley move with 200lbs fully sitting on it, (3/4 inch sag) then its moving to much at this point. Just figured I would share. since he sent me the video.

francoblay1

The Spaniard
My K9 is on the lift at the moment so I can´t try it, but..... as discussed in previous threads... I think you definitely need to change those shocks.... I can´t remember for sure right now but wasn´t Carlos who was selling you a set of progressive ones? or talk to Curtis (WSW).

mittens

I am prepared to, just had to share since we i had a thread already.

I am actually waiting on a PM back about a part number on a set of progresives.

Fat_Bastard

Now to me if its only supposed to barley move with 200lbs fully sitting on it, (3/4 inch sag) then its moving to much at this point. Just figured I would share. since he sent me the video.
Hey Mittens,
Saw the vid -- nice...

I can say (IMHO) to a certainty that your rear shocks are bad!
I got the same 2004 Chopper and mine don't do that! :rolleyes:

If I were to replace mine I would look into the air shocks. They are very cool and get a lot of attention when you play with 'em... Then you can adjust for what ever size "bitch" you put on the back. :cheers:

mittens

thanks for the comments man! seams like I will be replacing them...

I hope the line on these progressives works out so i can adjust them to my liking, Hight and ride.

FrankBDPS

Some of the shocks used on Big Dogs were designed to be rebuilt. My Prosport was factory equipped with Works Performance coil over gas shocks. They gave me a price today on rebuilding them. Saved about sixty percent over the price of buying a new set.

Attachments

bearman

I have the Progressives on my ’06 Mastiff. Trust me, you want to be able to adjust the height different from the spring rate. It is worth the extra money. You can make a 2004 Chopper ride like a fat boy with them.

If you really want to throw some money out, someone does make an air shock setup that is air adjustable for spring rate and air adjustable for height. But for me that is just something else that could fail and possibly leave you stranded.

PurpleDog

I've been searching around for hours (years absent from the site honestly) for modern/decent '07 K9 rear shock part numbers. I have 2 sets of Air Shock setups that I've dealt with leaking and too low (ride height) for a decade. I could put 'em back on and carry on if necessary - but I figured I try to ditch the air in favor of the correct set of Progressives or height adjustable others? Anyone have correct part numbers? I've called Progressive Suspension directly to no avail btw...Thanks.

/jim (a/k/a PurpleDog)

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
The Kaptin has been working on that. Might give him a shout and see what he's come up with.