Bike only runs when reserve fuel valve selected

kaeo1981

Any ideas what this could be? Bike sputters on dies when its on the regular run fuel valve selection. If I put it on reserve it stays on without dying. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Any ideas what this could be? Bike sputters on dies when its on the regular run fuel valve selection. If I put it on reserve it stays on without dying. Thanks in advance for any help.
Clogged or blocked path
Drain tank and remove petcock and and clean and check, replace if needed.
Get an endoscope and inspect inside of tank for liner peeling (this could easily block gas)

Pddain

PHTM II
Supporting Member
I had residue in my top pet cock from the tank liner peeling. Cleaned and relined the the tank. Removed the debris and my problem went away. I had Iron horse cycles in Decatur do the work. Required spinning the tank with drywall screws inside to clean out the old liner and spinning to app,y the sealer. Carswell Dragons Blood gas tank sealer was used so I could see inside. Caswell provides complete instructions. Not sure you need to go this far but thought you would like the info.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
I had residue in my top pet cock from the tank liner peeling. Cleaned and relined the the tank. Removed the debris and my problem went away. I had Iron horse cycles in Decatur do the work. Required spinning the tank with drywall screws inside to clean out the old liner and spinning to app,y the sealer. Carswell Dragons Blood gas tank sealer was used so I could see inside. Caswell provides complete instructions. Not sure you need to go this far but thought you would like the info.
all info is much appreciated!

Sven

With gas cap off, a hose long enough to blow into, set to ON and blow... if not turn on a compressor, but make that low a pressure begin thru the hose on startup. Maybe a rag over the tank opening so the gas does not mist out.

squat

I successfully removed the flaking/peeling liner with a cup of MEK and a small chain. My petcock screen was completely clogged. ‘99 Prosport. I describe the whole process in my reply to “Pitbull gas tank, need help” Didn’t hurt the paint job either! Squat