Battery Tender

Energy One

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
It sure is, cant go wrong with a Real Battery Tender. That one is 12Volts, the higher the amperage the shorter the charge time. I have one of those and it works great, also have 2 of the double bank systems at 12V 1.25amps they will bring a battery back from the dead in an hour or 2. :chopper:

Last edited:

awg

Guru
I bought a couple of chargers from Mad Dog years ago. They do the same thing and desulfates the cells. That's what it says anyway.

Sven

Formula goes something like this:
Numbers for volts and letters for lead post position and/or poles swapping w/amp rating. So if we buy a 12N12a battery, move the decimal point to the right of 12 and then this represents 1.2a. This says you need at least a 1.2 amp rated charger. To charge the battery, the remaining formula says to charge the battery for literally 12 hours with a 1.2a charger.

If say you buy a 12N14a battery, you won't fully charge a 1.4a battery with a 1.2a charger. So you run formula to buy the charger needed for said battery. And then you use a 1.4a or higher [1.5a rated say] charger and charge it for 14 hours with a 1.4a rated charger.

Now say you have an 8 or 10a car charger. The problem with this is the chance of overheating the battery if charged too long. So you feel the body case for heat. Problem being: the bubble size. Meaning, the difference between a boiled water bubble as opposed to champagne bubbles. The large bubbles will blow out, buckle the plates with that kind of heat [rating].

Make sense?

HiTech

Desulphating chargers are good but you shouldn't be using that feature too often. The best method is to charge the battery to full, discharge it to a low level, then desulphate as it recharges. Some of the desulphating chargers don't incorporate those steps in an automatic sequence thereby risking a lowered battery life.

BBChopper

Supports 2 Disabled Vets
Troop Supporter
I have had no issues for over ten years! I have two plus a double unit in the barn.

HiTech

Are your chargers TRUE desulphator type operating in the method I mentioned or are they labeled as high freq. charging/desulphator? There's a difference. The latter type minimally desulphate(perhaps better than nothing, I guess!). Years ago Vector made a true desulphator that took no less than 24hrs & longer to properly desulphate.

JB105

Big Dog Biker is more than just another public forum. It’s a brotherhood of Big Dog owners sharing information, stories, etc.
A staff member asked nicely for an introduction. If you don’t want to do that, fine, why don’t you go elsewhere.
Let’s not get overheated here and keep this thread going in the right direction, here’s what I use on all my batteries whether is a an atv, pwc, riding mower or my motorcycle. Works great and desulfates the battery plates for longer life span
BatteryMINDer Model 2012-AGM: 12Volt-2 Amp Battery Charger Maintainer/Desulfator for Odyssey, Optima and AGM Lead-Acid Batteries - Designed for Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATV, Boat, RV, etc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EKY20K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wrkxCb8WZPN9G