Avon 300 New Cobra Chrome - $259

Energy One

Brent Herridge

Well............guess not such a good deal. The Gathering + BBBBQ and it's DONE. Only 4,000 miles. Guess the long highway trips killed it. I noticed a white stripe down the center before yesterday's 250 mile lunch trip, but did not expect this..........

Guess I should be thankful we made it home. I'm going Shenko this time.

Hard to convey how disheartening it is to have all these troubles, and now even the TIRES won't cooperate. No matter what I replace this thing with, they'll all have tires........unless I go with Plan C........speed boat........... :)

Bad_Rear_tire2_small.JPG

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Dude, I had nearly 10K on mine and it wasn't that bad. Did mine in May and just replaced it last week. Mine did the weird wear pattern on the left side that you can see started on yours.
I went Shinko this time too -- with tax/shipping was $204
Next time you go outside -- look up -- see if there is a black cloud hovering over your head.

You know that almost looks like something got stuck between the fender and the tire to so all that.

Brent Herridge

Thanks Mike. I feel the black cloud. :)

I thought about the fender contact, and maybe there was some during the air shock fiasco on the way back from Fayetteville ? Not really sure, but I know it's not rubbing now. It's been jacked up in my garage quite a bit lately, and it spun freely.

What do y'all pay for tire mounting ?

The bozos that failed to balance the front tire charged me $40 for that, but said the rear (which they said they would do ) would cost twice that.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Thanks Mike. I feel the black cloud. :)

I thought about the fender contact, and maybe there was some during the air shock fiasco on the way back from Fayetteville ? Not really sure, but I know it's not rubbing now. It's been jacked up in my garage quite a bit lately, and it spun freely.

What do y'all pay for tire mounting ?

The bozos that failed to balance the front tire charged me $40 for that, but said the rear (which they said they would do ) would cost twice that.
These days I have a guy that does it for around 30 for the rear -- last time he said 20 but that was because I had to help! (His guy slipped out early that day)

If it was on the way back from fayetteville I think you;d have noticed when you did the Fournales.
That's pretty consistent severe wear not to notice -- Is it like that the entire circumfirence of the tire?
Did you have to break hard and lock the tire at some point (spot with thread showing) Something caused extra wear there.

Hey and I've had that cloud follow me at points (knocks on wood) but not so much lately.

mjsk9

Well............guess not such a good deal. The Gathering + BBBBQ and it's DONE. Only 4,000 miles. Guess the long highway trips killed it. I noticed a white stripe down the center before yesterday's 250 mile lunch trip, but did not expect this..........

Hard to convey how disheartening it is to have all these troubles, and now even the TIRES won't cooperate. No matter what I replace this thing with, they'll all have tires........unless I go with Plan C........speed boat........... :)

View attachment 69067
Curious what tire pressure you run?

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
That's my thinking, Harry. He's light enough to tuck under your arm arm and carry around.
When it's just you Brent, lower that rear tire pressure to 30, and run 35 when you have that little wife of yours on the back.

Lorenzo

Shinkos r all I run on my K9. Best tire for these bikes. Grip is awesome. I get around 8000k out of the back tire. I use Shinko on all my bikes and recommend to all my customers. Dunflops and Avon suck ass!!

Brent Herridge

Definitely squirrelly with the right inputs..... :)

I'll admit I did not used to check air pressure that often, so I don't have great notes on what I usually had. Kap is right though - I bet the bad alignment may have also contributed. However, it was the same as it had ever been for the first 1500 miles before I adjusted it. I thought I made it better, but I still get belt dust on the rim, so it's still not right. I'll compare swingarm measurements along with axle-to-opening measurements and see if they give similar indicators. if not, maybe the whole swingarm is out of whack of something ?

Hard to say, but I'll post updates when I get it apart this weekend. Too cold right now to work the evenings.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll keep the lower pressure from now on.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
in regard to the Shinko tires, what style/number is supposed to be a matching set for the K9, thanks in advance? and best vender?

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member

View attachment 69067
That looks more like cuts than wear. Zoom in on the tire and it sure looks like cut marks perpendicular to the wear line.

That looks more like cuts than wear. Zoom in on the tire and it sure looks like cut marks perpendicular to the wear line.
That's typical of a soft rubber compound that's been worn to the belt though.
I state over pressurized because the wear line in the middle is so narrow, alignment because the left side of the the the is warn more than the right suggesting the wheel is twisted to the right and I should add that the slight cupping you see behind the water passages is possibly a combination of shock adjustment, alignment and balance.
With a wide tire everything becomes exponential in terms of getting the alignment correct.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
That's typical of a soft rubber compound that's been worn to the belt though.
I state over pressurized because the wear line in the middle is so narrow, alignment because the left side of the the the is warn more than the right suggesting the wheel is twisted to the right and I should add that the slight cupping you see behind the water passages is possibly a combination of shock adjustment, alignment and balance.
With a wide tire everything becomes exponential in terms of getting the alignment correct.
I've had that weird wear pattern on the left side on almost every tire on both my K-9's.
I know part of it is how I sit on the bike. Even the one tire that didn't do it still only got around 10k miles.
I've been running 42 psi according to manual, I think I may try a little less this time around and see how I do.