TapioK

On what new Big Dog motorcycle cost, in correlation to the prices they are 'actually' going for used looks to be half, -to less than half- that of the current Big Dog MSRP's.

https://www.cycletrader.com/Big-Dog...ke=Big Dog Motorcycles|2315532&sort=year:desc

Never realized the chopper market was so flat.

I think this to be a serious consideration for potential new buyers, I mean who wants to end up taking a beating for if/when one decides to trade up or sell it outright maybe in a few years, just to find out the market for what you paid you took a huge depreciation loss in doing so.

It is something to mull over...
Well my Jag used to cost over 100k new in Finland. Now the average market value is maybe 10k... Life is and fun costs. No I didn’t buy new, not even close

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Motorcycles in general aren't a good "investment". More for enjoyment. I consider mine bought with recreation dollars or if you will"fun money".

I went the new route the first time, then bought used on the second one. I'm good with the pricing and will eventually pass on the savings to a new owner.

Minuteman

Not trying to discourage anyone from buying new, new is good if you have the cash, but if you are borrowing money that could be tough for a toy. I have paid cash for all but 1-bike in 1980, paid $3,100 for a 1978 Harley super glide and sold it 10 years later for 3,600. That was when you could buy a Harley and it was a good investment as you always could sell your Harley for what you paid for it or a little more back then after riding it for 30,000 miles or more. That is no more with any motorcycle, there are plenty out there and most kids are not riding/buying bikes like we did when we were young. Always young at heart though.

TapioK

I asked the trade in value for 2011 CVO Ultra with 5000 miles for a friend. That bike did cost 40k new when my friend bought it. He rode 5000 miles and the bike looked like a new. I was offered 15 k. Devaluation was $1.25 per mile. + services. I wouldn’t say 2011 K9 with real 5000 miles in new condition would be any less....

Ernie12

I have been watching prices for a while now and the ones on cycletrader are usually much higher priced and they have been for sale for a long time. I would bet they will have to come way down if they really want to sell them. Some of those bikes at dealers have the highest prices and they will just sit there.

TapioK

I would think anyone who buys a new K9 buys it to keep it and enjoy it for years to come... Fuck, my boat costs me like $7000 a year with all the expenses. Shit I better sell it actually, don’t use it enough to justify the expenses... Anyways everything fun is expensive. Or we could all by bicycles and take hiking as a hobby.
Now I think I sell my boat and replace it with reasonable priced small sailboat, I like sailing too...

Ernie12

Yes, this... is what scares the hell out of me in contemplating buying/having a brand new one made.

Yes but those are really older bikes 9,10,11 years old. Just like anything new it is going to loose value as soon as you drive off with it. You never know, buy new now and maintain if well and 10yrs from now you could still get 14k for it. Late night cant sleep.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I would think anyone who buys a new K9 buys it to keep it and enjoy it for years to come... Fuck, my boat costs me like $7000 a year with all the expenses. Shit I better sell it actually, don’t use it enough to justify the expenses... Anyways everything fun is expensive. Or we could all by bicycles and take hiking as a hobby.
Now I think I sell my boat and replace it with reasonable priced small sailboat, I like sailing too...
Well I was into serious bicycling years ago (90's) and I can tell you that's not cheap either -- I had/have a wheel that alone was over $500, my tires were 45 a piece -- granted not the same scale as the K-9 but not what most people think of as cheap when they think bicycle.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Some where in this thread someone mentioned taking up hiking if you wanted a cheap hobby.

Hiking boots, back pack,tent, gps(to get you lost), bug spray, bear repellant, sun screen hiking clothes, and a staff ( about the same cost as biker clothes) cheap:eek:

FrankBDPS

Some where in this thread someone mentioned taking up hiking if you wanted a cheap hobby.

Hiking boots, back pack,tent, gps(to get you lost), bug spray, bear repellant, sun screen hiking clothes, and a staff ( about the same cost as biker clothes) cheap:eek:
Thanks Paul, you made me tired already. I am going to take a nap.

Letbigdogintocanada

Chopper market is flat for sure ,hopefully it will come back
In full circle one day but I doubt it ,never buy anything new unless you can really afford it cuz the second it leaves the lot it loses 30%

Srodden

Yes but those are really older bikes 9,10,11 years old. Just like anything new it is going to loose value as soon as you drive off with it. You never know, buy new now and maintain if well and 10yrs from now you could still get 14k for it. Late night cant sleep.
However they are bikes built prior to Big Dog company folding. That’s value added ?

bigkelk9

So no the market is fly everywhere.. so the place I got my bike at and another member got his at is selling Texas Chopper... only a year ago they were selling these things for between 12-15 idk y, but they held their value a bit better then big dogs did). But anyways, I got mine for 13k years ago which was a steal at the time being they were going for between 15,500 to 20k. But anyways they had this bike listed for 9995, which means it’ll probably sell for around 8k.