Staff member
Founder
Lifetime Supporting Member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Supporting Member
Let me know how we can help Matt.

StreetHog

"If history holds true, I anticipate our relaunch will come under some criticism." Well when that happens Matt, simple....we'll just do it the Big Dog way, "A Leg Up" and piss on em ;-)

On another note guys, within this thread and post #1 by massiffdave, there is the next POTM or even POTYear ;-) This is good stuff!!!!

BikerDave

Hang Around
Hey Matt! First off congrat's on the new venture and best of luck going forward! I've been in the corporate website business for 20 years and have dealt with domain name issues many times for clients. If you like send me a PM and I'll do some digging and get back with you with any recommendations!

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Thanks to everybody for the kind words. We just got back in from Sturgis and, as you can imagine, are working hard to catch up. We have much more to share but here are some of the brief answers to your questions:

1.) Sturgis Update-- The Sturgis event was not the official re-launch of the company. We had appointments and test-rides set with key dealers, vendors, and media that filled the week. Overall the event was a huge success and I am happy to report the meetings went great as every dealer we met with committed to carry the brand. It was an honor to meet up with the Big Dog Biker members and give you a sneak peek at what we are working on. Thanks to those that waited on me to get there. I have been working the rallies for Big Dog over 10 years and they are always chaotic logistically-speaking. Big shout out and thanks to MastiffDave for helping me make it finally happen this year.

2.) Website/Marketing/Etc-- The new Big Dog website was supposed to launch before I left for Sturgis but it is behind-schedule. The Kansas Motorcycle Works page is operating but will be replaced by the new Big Dog Site. This is the reason we have not invested any money into the KMW site recently. I have been battling the cyber-squatters for Bigdogmotorcycles.com and bdm.com domains for many months now. We are in-process of a federal lawsuit against the cyber-squatters and it just takes a lot of time and money. I have come to the understanding that this is pretty standard when a company's assets are frozen in litigation during a foreclosure like Big Dog's. In the meantime, I have another URL we will be using. I will keep you posted with those details.

3.) Price-- The target retail price for the 2016 K-9 is between $32,900 and 33,900. Please remember that the K-9 retailed for $29,900 in 2006 when Big Dog was building 5000 motorcycles per year. Given it is 9 model-years later and we are producing in much smaller quantities with more expensive components, I think we are doing a great job of keeping the price down. We are doing this by managing our overhead very closely and simplifying some manufacturing processes.

4.) Primary--The primary and starter configuration is no longer the proprietary design as used by Big Dog from 2005-20011. The new primary utilizes the time-tested softail-style configuration for ease serviceability, replacement parts, customization, etc.

5.) Struts--The struts will come with the sissy bar mounts already installed.

6.) EHC--The electrical system will function exactly as before except we are using the R.I.P configuration instead of an EHC.

7.) Models--We are only building K9s right now. We have plans to build other models in the future but the K9 is what the dealers and customers are asking for the most.

8.) Reunion--I definitely want to help with the BDB reunion and think Wichita would be a great place to at least stop at :). I will volunteer and contribute what I can to make this event awesome. I have some cool Wichita ideas to run by everybody when the time is right.

9.) Groundpounder EFI-- I'm sorry if I didn't get back to you. I try very hard to prevent anything from falling through the cracks but it appears I dropped the ball on this one. I'm sorry brother. If you still need help with your EHC or S&S fuel injection module, I would be happy to help you. You can even send it here and we can do the work and send it back to you.

10.) Thank you to those few in-the-know that kept your promise to keep the relaunch confidential until Sturgis. Not a single one of you mentioned anything to anybody that I knew about. I know who each of you are and appreciate you keeping your word.

11.) Final thoughts-- The full story of "how we got here" will be disclosed with the launch of the new website. The short version is me and my team of employees believe so much in Big Dog Motorcycles that we are pouring everything we have into it. We picked up the ball and ran with it and it has been a very long and difficult journey. I am not capitalized like the former Big Dog Manufacturing company and, therefore, can't be everything for everybody as Big Dog once tried to be. My approach is, in many ways, how Sheldon started this whole thing so many years ago except now we have the benefit of 25 years experience in the industry. If history holds true, I anticipate our relaunch will come under some criticism. I appreciate and am thankful to those that stand behind and support us in this endeavor. To the naysayers, I say contribute something constructive or nothing at all. Hell, I am even open to bringing on the right partners if they can help me grow the business better than I can do on my own. The mission is the continuation of the greatest motorcycles on the road. Long Live Big Dog!
you-are-the-man_zpsfobyrhnw.gif you-are-the-man_zpsfobyrhnw.gif you-are-the-man_zpsfobyrhnw.gif

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Good news Matt, appreciate the update and hope this all goes well. I look forward to more updates!

On another random note Im glad to see the move to the Harley primary it really just makes it easier. I hope we can maintain Bakers support for our primaries on our big dog 1.0's :) we currently only have two clutch options as it stands. :(

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Razorback

Supporting Member
Congratulations to you and your team Matt. I look forward to what's to come. Long Live Big Dog

firedog19

Just my opinion but I would think that for 30k the bikes should be bulletproof under normal operating conditions.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Just my opinion but I would think that for 30k the bikes should be bulletproof under normal operating conditions.
I believe that's the goal! Eliminating the EHC and moving over to the standard Harley primary and Transmission with straight cut gears is a step in that direction.

Realistically what else is there? You could move to Harley switches and handle bars but that look isn't nearly as clean and quite honestly those PCB don't fail too often and if they do it's mostly owner error.

You've got the S&S EVO already and that's about as bulletproof as you can get. And a 124 is a beast though. Would be interesting to know if they have any plans on having S&S build the engines or take it in house like BDM did in the later years and what cams/springs are they proposing? I'm sure more info will be avail in due time.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
You've got the S&S EVO already and that's about as bulletproof as you can get. And a 124 is a beast though. Would be interesting to know if they have any plans on having S&S build the engines or take it in house like BDM did in the later years and what cams/springs are they proposing? I'm sure more info will be avail in due time.

would be nice if they would source the 124 through Kendall Johnson, i think he has a little experience putting together one that is bulletproof. but then the price point might go up a little.

Twisted

Great to hear that Big Dogs will be made again, that K-9 looks awesome and the 124 must be a powerhouse. Although I'll never be able to afford a new one, I'm hoping the do well and grow again. And hopefully they start producing and selling parts to keep our older Dogs kicking.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome picture! Nice looking bike for sure!

Not sure if it's on purpose but the V&H look too high to run passenger pegs? Prob just a mock design I guess

francoblay1

The Spaniard
Awesome picture! Nice looking bike for sure!

Not sure if it's on purpose but the V&H look too high to run passenger pegs? Prob just a mock design I guess

The ones I put on my K9 are at the same height... I had to install the peg risers.

They sure do not drag on tight turns.

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I will support Matt and his team. Hell I even advertise Big Dog on my arm ;) I will not buy the K-9 until I can figure out how to put at least hard side bags on it ;) I am getting tired of my Ultra Buddies carrying my stuff. Asked Matt about a Bagger but he said it would be hard to compete with HD price. But I am looking at FBI prices (His True Competition in Baggers) and FBI prices are OMG
I had Hard bags mopunted on my last K-9.
Here's how I did it.

Take the struts off.
Drill ou the 2 middle mount holes and tap them all the way thru.
I used a set of EZ-Brakets so I could remove.
Replace the mount bolts with longer bolts.
Would recommend making a nut cover for the inside of fender.
If you are leaving the Bags on with an permenant bracket its even easier.
Make or use an aluminum bar and tap it to receive the 5/16 cap head bolt from inside.
drill aluminum bracket as needed to mount to Hard Bags.

I bought a set of bags for about 300 if I recall when I did this.

Right now I am working on making a "tour Pack" for my luggage rack/sissy bar.

PM me if you want more details.