2009/2010 Wolf rear wheel conversion 2005 Ridgeback recall wheel

Energy One

bigdogpartskingpin

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Hi All,

We didn't like the appearance of moving the brake rotor to the other side on our Wolf rear wheel conversions so we started from scratch & reworked the wheel blank to get it back to the original position. This set-up is more original and should be less hassle to install. We finally got some machine time so we'll be cutting wheels next week.

We also are making the 2005 Ridgeback recall wheels and need to know how many are still out there running cracked wheels. Also, if anyone has a any special requests for wheels, now is the time. We're running some 2010 K-9 style rears in a 250 version and doing a whole bunch of Black Anodize.

Any info or feedback on wheel / pulley needs is welcome. Just call Donna 620-257-2009

Thanks,
Derek McCloud

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
The wolf looks great Derek! Now those guys have an option! Nice work!

I think worthwhile in this post is to mention the Recall information for the 05 ridgeback can be found at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2009/RCDNN-09V147-4270.pdf.

I also believe people can look at the numbers stamped on the rims if they are not the original owner? Derek or Donna can you provide details for the owners on how to check or confirm if they have an old vs new one?

Might also save Donna some time on the phone for people just calling to ask how to know if recall is done.

Make: BIGDOG Model: RIDGEBACK
Model Year: 2005
Manufacturer: BIG DOG MOTORCYCLES, LLC Mfr's Report Date: MAY 27, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V147000
N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: WHEELS:CENTER SECTION
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1257
Summary:
BIG DOG IS RECALLING 1,257 MY 2005 RIDGEBACK MOTORCYCLES. THE REAR WHEEL MAY HAVE WEAK SPOTS IN THE DESIGN, WHICH MAY CAUSE THE WHEEL TO CRACK UNDER CERTAIN OPERATING CONDITIONS.
Consequence:
IF UNDETECTED, THIS CONDITION MAY LEAD TO A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE WHEELS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JUNE 1, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BIG DOG MOTORCYCLES CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT AT 1-316-267-9121.

Last edited:

bigdogpartskingpin

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
The original 2005 Ridgeback Pitchfork wheels were made with an RC "Double Lip" wheel blank. These are the ones that an owner should replace due to recall.

The original BDM recall "fix" wheels and our earlier versions were made with an AMT "Hard Lip" blank.

Our latest version and the one's we're cutting now are made with an All American "Soft Lip" blank. BDM only collected about 520 that were originally recalled. Just going by memory: I think there were 1300 in the recall.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Well those pictures sure help!

Thanks Derek and Donna. Should be pretty darn easy for anyone to tell now if they have a recall rim or not that they should 100% be replacing! We are only on 2 wheels and if one fails it won't be pretty!

Also based on your numbers there is still about more than 1/2 of the 05 ridgebacks out there potentially with rims that never got replaced.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bullett

Thanks to the group for relaying message regarding recall on 2005 Ridgeback rear wheel. I was not aware and very thankful that ya'll looked out for me. I believe by the pictures and description, I most likely am a recall. I am at shift and will confirm when I get off. I text Shannon also, as I am trying to make gathering coming up and can assess with yall, schedule chaos

Kenny G

That Wolf rear setup looks great, count me in my tire was manufactured in 2008 and have already had one tire crack on me, I'm ready for some brand new rubber. Thanks for all you do Derek and Donna!

Leadhead

I sti
Hi All,

We didn't like the appearance of moving the brake rotor to the other side on our Wolf rear wheel conversions so we started from scratch & reworked the wheel blank to get it back to the original position. This set-up is more original and should be less hassle to install. We finally got some machine time so we'll be cutting wheels next week.

We also are making the 2005 Ridgeback recall wheels and need to know how many are still out there running cracked wheels. Also, if anyone has a any special requests for wheels, now is the time. We're running some 2010 K-9 style rears in a 250 version and doing a whole bunch of Black Anodize.

Any info or feedback on wheel / pulley needs is welcome. Just call Donna 620-257-2009

Thanks,
Derek McCloud

I still have a set that have not been taken care of. I’ve called without a return call I assume you guys are very busy