WTB .... TP Rocker Box “ Covers “

Energy One

Matt Jasicki

Can’t afford the switch to S&S yet . Mine are peeling so I thought I’d try here and maybe get lucky.
For a 2005 Big Dog Chopper
Thanks
Matt
209 202 7744

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
You can have them rechromed, or peel the rest of the chrome off and polish it up like Big Daddy did on his Mastiff.
Here's a link to the thread that shows it.

mleach72

I never realized this was an option until I read this thread. I have a couple spots that are peeling pretty bad. I hit them with some Mothers and it looks like chrome. Now how do you go about peeling all the chrome off the boxes without scratching the hell out of the aluminum?

Hi all, the first thing you need to do is take the covers off if possible. Then sand all the chrome and the next two layers off .then you can start the sanding process on polishing the aluminum to make them look new again. Message for any questions ,thanks.it is really just a sanding game.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Thanks Mike. I figured that is what you did. I've done it that way in the pass, but just want to see if you had a better way.

Jersey James

Jersey James
In the early 70s, I worked at a chrome shop. I know back then, we had one tank of chemicals, that would strip chrome off of Aluminium (forget the chemical name). So, what I'm getting at is: contact your local chrome shop and ask if this service is currently available. If so, shouldn't be very much money. You of course would still need to remove your rocker boxes, and then polish them out, when you get them back, or you could let the chrome shop polish them out for additional bucks. Just a suggestion, best of luck. JJ

Last edited:

mleach72

Evidently different shops did the chrome and they aren't all equal. I have a new cover to install on my transmission because the original is peeling. Same thing with the cowbells. Had to get new ones. I also noticed some small bubbles on the foot rests.
It's just strange. All of the other chrome looks as good as it did when the bike was brand new. It's just the rocker boxes. It pisses me off ever time I look at it, especially when I take a day and really go over the bike. Wash, wax, polish all of the aluminum, etc. The bike sparkles from front to back, and then you see the bubbles and chips on the rockers. It's a real eyesore! I'm still up in the air about what I want to do. Have them rechromed, have the chrome removed and polish the aluminum, or switch over to S&S boxes. I know John highly recommends switching to S&S, but I love the look of the TP's. I wish they didn’t have that alignment problem. I think they really make the evo live up to its nickname "Blockhead".

Mastiff Rider64

Supporting Member
I have 2 in my garage that have been off the bike since 2014 when I switched my old 117 to the S&S rocker boxes. Its both front and rear rocker boxes with all the internal parts that are in them. They have been wrapped in plastic with oil in the plastic. I could take them out the box I have them in and send you a picture if you'd like.

mleach72

I have 2 in my garage that have been off the bike since 2014 when I switched my old 117 to the S&S rocker boxes. Its both front and rear rocker boxes with all the internal parts that are in them. They have been wrapped in plastic with oil in the plastic. I could take them out the box I have them in and send you a picture if you'd like.
I appreciate the offer very much, but like I said, I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I will definitely keep that in mind tho! The original chrome on the TP's certainly seems inferior. I'm not saying yours will have that problem eventually, but it is very common. Maybe your set got a better chrome job. Whatever I do, I want it to be a permanent fix!

SEAL-rider

I appreciate the offer very much, but like I said, I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I will definitely keep that in mind tho! The original chrome on the TP's certainly seems inferior. I'm not saying yours will have that problem eventually, but it is very common. Maybe your set got a better chrome job. Whatever I do, I want it to be a permanent fix!
A permanent fix is S&S rocker boxes.