Transmission SOS!

Energy One

ShawnD

Hey fella's! Well went for a ride yesterday up to Chimney rock nc to see an old friend then back home, about 200 miles round trip on my 08' k9. Got up today and in the 80's hit the road again, noticed shifting gears is getting tough 1st to 2nd really hard! Headed home thinking clutch adjustment, also checked trans fluid and well nothing on the stick! I've noticed leaking but thought it was primary oil that maybe was coming from starter seal, well guess its tranny fluid. Any ideas?

ShawnD

Drain it and see how much ground up metal there is. If you were having trouble shifting the damage may already be done. Good luck.
Gonna drain it in the morning, I said it was none on the stick but there was some on bottom of the stick. Trying to be positive here. Talked to my uncle who has an 05' big dog chopper said the main shaft seal from the trans to the primary is probably leaking which makes since cause I haven't seen any oil coming from any where but primary side, course it leans towards the primary side when not ridden so I dont know. Friggin time to ride and this shit happens! SUCKS!

FrankBDPS

How long has you're bike been sitting? Maybe like you said the oil moved over and if you refill the transmission and kept an eye on it you could get by for awhile. Good luck

ShawnD

How long has you're bike been sitting? Maybe like you said the oil moved over and if you refill the transmission and kept an eye on it you could get by for awhile. Good luck
Well the guy I bought it from never rode it, I just got it around Nov last year and changed all fluids, primary with dinosaur oil, trans with spectro full synthetic 6 speed, and motor oil of course. Since I've had it I've probably put a 1000 miles on it. I'm thinking it's the o ring that's between trans and primary and the trans fluid is leaking into my primary. I'm gonna pull the inspection cover in the morning and if it's over flowing that may be the answer I don't know I'm just hoping I didn't do damage to the trans but knowing my luck it's fked!

FrankBDPS

One other thing to keep in mind maybe if the trans oil moved into the primary case that synthetic oil may have an adverse affect on the clutches. Dont shoot the messenger please.

ShawnD

One other thing to keep in mind maybe if the trans oil moved into the primary case that synthetic oil may have an adverse affect on the clutches. Dont shoot the messenger please.
Yeah I know it, I'm gonna drain it all and trying to decide if I want to tackle this job on my own, as far as pulling the out and inner primary and replacing all the seals I actually have all the seals to do it. But a bit worried I'm gonna screw something up worse and end up paying more than just having a mechanic do it. What's your thoughts on it is it a difficult job?

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Yeah I know it, I'm gonna drain it all and trying to decide if I want to tackle this job on my own, as far as pulling the out and inner primary and replacing all the seals I actually have all the seals to do it. But a bit worried I'm gonna screw something up worse and end up paying more than just having a mechanic do it. What's your thoughts on it is it a difficult job?
It's not that bad.
Take your time
Read the instructions
Reach out here if you hit an issue BEFORE you do anything you're unsure of.
Better to be down an extra 2 days getting answers than a big bill and it being worked on by someone that may not know much more about BDM's than you do.

ShawnD

It's not that bad.
Take your time
Read the instructions
Reach out here if you hit an issue BEFORE you do anything you're unsure of.
Better to be down an extra 2 days getting answers than a big bill and it being worked on by someone that may not know much more about BDM's than you do.
Thanks brother will do, keep your phone handy lol!

Clubba

Gonna drain it in the morning, I said it was none on the stick but there was some on bottom of the stick. Trying to be positive here. Talked to my uncle who has an 05' big dog chopper said the main shaft seal from the trans to the primary is probably leaking which makes since cause I haven't seen any oil coming from any where but primary side, course it leans towards the primary side when not ridden so I dont know. Friggin time to ride and this shit happens! SUCKS!
That seal is really easy to change. I had to do mine as well. Make sure you check the bearing. Sometimes they drift out. I had to install the heavy duty bearing in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk