Transmission shifting by itself. Need a little help

Energy One

Moespeeds

Look closely at the dogs on the sides of the gears, the lugs that engage and hold it to the gear next to it. If they are worn at all that will give you trouble. Rinse some acetone or brake cleaner over the top of everything so it's real clean and easy to inspect. Also check the fluid for big chunks or slivers.

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
By chance, would you happen to have a picture of what the "dogs" look like? I looked down into the gears last night after removing the shift forks and didn't see any visible wear, but I have not drained the fluid as of yet. What the fluid is covering (bottom half of gears) isn't something I would really see anyway even if it was drained. I'll drain the fluid tonight and inspect for the chunks/slivers.

Moespeeds

No picture, but when the forks slide the gears over, the gears have lugs on the sides that engage the gear next to it. If you slide the gears around they are very obvious. Drain the fluid for sure, how else can you see into the bottom?

BadBrad

2005 Pitbull
I am psychotic and can see into the future and if my cuticles are dilated, I can see through fluids. I understand what you're talking about with the gears sliding over. I'll drain and take a look see.

bruce

I haven't read every single posting but have you checked the hemp joints on the shift rod yet they can look like they're okay but be bad and can cause a lot of stupid issues just the suggestion

heybaylor

I assume that when say Pawl,you are talking about the shifter drum??
there is a spring loaded detent that keeps it in position
maybe, just maybe the spring is broken, allowing the drum to rotate without using the shifter pawl