Transmission malfunction

Energy One

rpols7

I got my transmission in the mail to Baker drivetrain I hope I get back real soon cuz I don't feel like pulling the tranny out of the 06 and putting it in the 07. It was a lot of work. But if the 06 has American Steel in it for that main shaft then I probably will because if they're using China Steel now and they're going to put it into the '07 then I'll reconsider. Cuz I don't want that main shaft breaking on me and have to pull that tranny for a third time. LOL. I'll probably need some more help when I get ready to put it back together.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
You ever get it back together??

Baker Drivetrain should have the answer for you. Also I hope they had some sort of warranty on the trans they rebuilt for you. If not maybe a discount on rebuild #2. Let us know if you think their customer service is good or bad. Good Luck
Baker Drivetrain did send all new gaskets, bearings, clutch basket and etc to me. They also rebuilt the tranny with all new parts this time. I'm trying to get them to cover the expenses the second time for labor and shipping which came to about $1, 250.00 that I shouldn't have to pay twice. They are saying that they don't warranty labor or shipping. I told them that the mechanic who reused my main drive shaft really needs to start thinking. I told him he could have killed me if I would have been going down the freeway at 80 miles an hour and that main shaft broke because he used a used one when they rebuilt my tranny and I wasn't very happy about that.

And no I have not finished rebuilding my bikes yet. I'm getting on my raw aluminum chromed on one of them and then a paint job on the other.

It's been almost a year since I've been able to ride a decent ride without something breaking down. So these two bikes going to be like brand spanking new when I'm done here the end of this month.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The sad part is you are correct it being made in China.....Baker, Jims and Ultima gear sets and shafts are made in China....its amazing how Baker wants 3500.00 for a trans and Ultima is 801.12 shipped for the same transmission...i just got my Ultima in today like 2 hours ago and its got made in China on the box.....atleast they are honest verses the other companies for the same exact productView attachment 80318View attachment 80319
Did you put a ultima 6 spd in a big dog? What problems did you encounter? Are they plug n play?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Did you put a ultima 6 spd in a big dog? What problems did you encounter? Are they plug n play?
2004 & Earlier bikes is plug & play with any left side drive 6 speed Jim's, Baker, Ultima whoever. 2005-11 NOT plug & play requires frame modification and an entire new inner & outer primary setup, clutch, & starter to work with any other right side drive transmission made.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

2004 & Earlier bikes is plug & play with any left side drive 6 speed Jim's, Baker, Ultima whoever. 2005-11 NOT plug & play requires frame modification and an entire new inner & outer primary setup, clutch, & starter to work with any other right side drive transmission made.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
See my other thread.

Eric is 100% correct with what he said.

I actually have 2 of my bikes now with a ultima transmission but the are both 04 models....ultima is the best bang for the buck....baker thinks to much of thereselves in my opinion
So I'm fk if anything happens to my transmission...

The transmission plate has to be relocated
I thought that would be the main obstacle to put a different transmission in a big dog 05-2011 all the other parts its almost easy primary and inner, starter you could buy from the old BD 04 and later is almost plug and play, the offset for the wheel is the 2 problem but a new BD baker tramission is to damn expensive and there isn't many around. I would love to see someone do this i am almost selling my BD project because of this transmission problem and in europe there isn't many who could do this...

Last edited:

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I thought that would be the main obstacle to put a different transmission in a big dog 05-2011 all the other parts its almost easy primary and inner, starter you could buy from the old BD 04 and lateris almost plig and play, the offset for the wheel is the 2 problem but a new BD baker tramission is to damn expensive and there isn't many around. I would love to see someone do this i am almost selling my BD project because of this transmission problem and in europe there isn't many who could do this...
I got a buddy that has a 07 that has been on me about converting his bike....if i end up doing it for him i will do a thread on here about what all it consist of as relocating the plate, parts and labor...maybe it will help other on here in the future....i honestly dont think it will be a bad job at all to do it....it will just be a bit expensive as far as parts to do it

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
I got a buddy that has a 07 that has been on me about converting his bike....if i end up doing it for him i will do a thread on here about what all it consist of as relocating the plate, parts and labor...maybe it will help other on here in the future....i honestly dont think it will be a bad job at all to do it....it will just be a bit expensive as far as parts to do it
When I was up at HDM a while back, Eric and I were looking over a new frame and comparing it. Changing that plate out doesn't look like it'd be too bad a job.

Last edited:

Jwooky

When I was up at HDM a while back, Eric and I were looking over a new frame and comparing it. Changing that played out doesn't look like it'd be too bad a job.
Curious, what’s the difference in the pad.

higher/lower or left /bright , longer shorter? I’m sure hole pattern too.

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Curious, what’s the difference in the pad.

higher/lower or left /bright , longer shorter? I’m sure hole pattern too.
The height is the same, mainly the hole pattern. Unfortunately the stock plate can't be drilled to accept the new trans.

That would be LEGENDARY my friend!!! because we love our BDs and that is the only reason that i'm in doubt to sell the motorcycle before something happens...

you could buy a used parts to lower the budget or reconditioned.