Transmission malfunction

Energy One

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
So
Well I found a problem and it's pretty bad one. I have to ship the transmission back to Baker. Luckily it's under warranty. I just got to pay the shipping charges.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Awesome bikes! Yeah Baker should definitely take care of that for ffs. Looks like a junk shaft to me.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
It was probably made in China. Fucking bitch ass commy Biden probably has his hands in on the fucking profits from china steel...lol

The sad part is you are correct it being made in China.....Baker, Jims and Ultima gear sets and shafts are made in China....its amazing how Baker wants 3500.00 for a trans and Ultima is 801.12 shipped for the same transmission...i just got my Ultima in today like 2 hours ago and its got made in China on the box.....atleast they are honest verses the other companies for the same exact product20201205_202534.jpg20201205_205948.jpg

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
Good guess... It had nothing to do with the clutch. Bandit clutches don't have a nut. So you're right about the main shaft. See pic.

Both my Bandit clutches I've installed had a clutch hub nut torqued to 150ft/lbs.
Are you saying you didn't have to remove on from that broken shaft?

Yeah it got removed. It was a bitch to remove I remember now because it was torqued to a 150ft/lbs and I had to use a chunk of aluminum to block the chain from rotating because the tranny wouldn't go into gear. It's difficult to explain but now that you mentioned 150ft/lbs I remember removing it. I had to use a breaker bar on my socket wrench it's a fairly large nut don't remember what size. Yeah I had one too many beers...lol.

The sad part is you are correct it being made in China.....Baker, Jims and Ultima gear sets and shafts are made in China....its amazing how Baker wants 3500.00 for a trans and Ultima is 801.12 shipped for the same transmission...i just got my Ultima in today like 2 hours ago and its got made in China on the box.....atleast they are honest verses the other companies for the same exact productView attachment 80318View attachment 80319
Hi knothead, I thought I was joking about made in China so that's crazy that you verified it was. And thanks for your time and input on this subject. Did you have to remove your shocks? I see that you're using the same kind of jack stand that I'm using but I can't get to my shocks when it's on the jack stand. How did you do it? and good luck to you getting your new tranny back in.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
I have 2 jack stands under it....i remove the rear jack to get to the shocks bolts and let the front jack hold the bike upright....if you don't have 2 stand all you got to do is slide the jack you have forward under the motor.....on the left side drives all you got to do is take the front bolt out of the left shock....let the shock hang by the back bolt and drop the front of the shock down to access the bolts on the botom of the transmission....yours being ride side drive the trans plate maybe in a little different spot and its possible you may have to drop the front of both shocks....i have never worked on a ride side drive transmission but im sure its basically the same concept of what you have to do.....hope this helps you
Hi knothead, I thought I was joking about made in China so that's crazy that you verified it was. And thanks for your time and input on this subject. Did you have to remove your shocks? I see that you're using the same kind of jack stand that I'm using but I can't get to my shocks when it's on the jack stand. How did you do it? and good luck to you getting your new tranny back in.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
These shocks can be a real bitch to get off and on....i have had to loosen one side of the swing arm before just to get them off and on .....but here is a picture to help explain what i was saying in the previous post....it may help you or may not cause im not familiar with the ride side drive transmission plate mount20201206_093706.jpg

Jersey Big Mike

100K mile club
I have 2 jack stands under it....i remove the rear jack to get to the shocks bolts and let the front jack hold the bike upright....if you don't have 2 stand all you got to do is slide the jack you have forward under the motor.....on the left side drives all you got to do is take the front bolt out of the left shock....let the shock hang by the back bolt and drop the front of the shock down to access the bolts on the botom of the transmission....yours being ride side drive the trans plate maybe in a little different spot and its possible you may have to drop the front of both shocks....i have never worked on a ride side drive transmission but im sure its basically the same concept of what you have to do.....hope this helps you

When I did mine, I removed the shocks but be aware to do this easily you need a torque adapter, especially to retorque the shock bolts to spec easily.
Check thread https://www.bigdogbiker.com/threads/shock-bolt-removal-re-install-tools.84316/#post-891318 for tool options to remove/replace shocks easily

Mikeinjersey

The sad part is you are correct it being made in China.....Baker, Jims and Ultima gear sets and shafts are made in China....its amazing how Baker wants 3500.00 for a trans and Ultima is 801.12 shipped for the same transmission...i just got my Ultima in today like 2 hours ago and its got made in China on the box.....atleast they are honest verses the other companies for the same exact productView attachment 80318View attachment 80319
That is great info Knothead. I was not aware that Ultima products were considered to be the same quality as BAKER and Jims. Are there other offerings considered high quality as well? How about the engines?

Both my Bandit clutches I've installed had a clutch hub nut torqued to 150ft/lbs.
Are you saying you didn't have to remove on from that broken shaft?
To Jersey Big Mike, I thought you were talking about a nut on the very end of the shaft that the Bandit clutch goes thru. But I believe you're talking about part #23 clutch nut (left handed thread). Yeah it was a bitch to take it off with the sheared main shaft. I use the block of aluminum to put between the primary chain and the gears in front under the engine to wedge it in so that it wouldn't spin because I couldn't put it into 3rd gear. (Or any gear). anyway I got the tranny out now I'm going to ship it back to Baker tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

I finally got the transmission out. The two bolts next to the frame were hell getting out because the frame is partially in the way and I had to use a wobble extension to be able to get in there and get the two bolts out by the frame. I don't know how I'm going to torque them when I put it back together. Any suggestions or ideas?

Hi knothead, I use two jack stands like you recommended. Not quite your configuration but my situation is a little different I believe. So I reconfigured it and was able to get the shocks out of the way and the tranny removed. Going to box it up tonight and send it back to Baker first thing in the morning. Again I appreciate all your input and help. Good luck on your projects.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
That is great info Knothead. I was not aware that Ultima products were considered to be the same quality as BAKER and Jims. Are there other offerings considered high quality as well? How about the engines?
Motors are just as good....i have a buddy in Neveda thats a bike builder....he builds some wild stuff.....he was trying to tell me about Ultima 4 years ago and i was like i dont know Brandon this could bite you in the ass....well he had a bike he built for his wife and having troubles cause its crazy power....its a rose gold baggers.....let me tell ya its a freaking badass bike...he had a s&s punched out to a 151 with twin turbos....he spanked 4 different baker transmissions like they where nothing within minutes after putting them on...they just couldnt take the power and these trans where beefed up from Baker before he got them....well anyway a Ultima rep came by his shop one day and was trying to sell him on these transmissions and Brandon wasnt buying it because how cheap they are....rep told him try it i promise you want be disappointed.....Brandon got one and put it on and tried to hurt it....he called me and said dude this thing is tuff...so he added more boost pressure and i mean treated it like unreal bad and it took it.....he did finally destroy it but it took way more than baker could....so now he runs there motors and there transmissions on everything he builds....he has a 140 bruto motor with twin turbos on it and i mean its badass....so i know this is a long story but from what ive seen from Ultima they build some good stuff.....there chrome sucks but other than that its good stuff and a 1/4 of the price....S&S and Baker arent making quality stuff this day and time in my opinion and this is just my opinion.....They are just a name and thats all your getting and im not impressed with them anymore....i pay that much money as they are wanting it better be some good stuff....and its just not there anymore....if my shit goes bad im buying Ultima...like i said this is just my opinion

Last edited:

Mikeinjersey

Motors are just as good....i have a buddy in Neveda thats a bike builder....he builds some wild stuff.....he was trying to tell me about Ultima 4 years ago and i was like i dont know Brandon this could bite you in the ass....well he had a bike he built for his wife and having troubles cause its crazy power....its a rose gold baggers.....let me tell ya its a freaking badass bike...he had a s&s punched out to a 151 with twin turbos....he spanked 4 different baker transmissions like they where nothing within minutes after putting them on...they just couldnt take the power and these trans where beefed up from Baker before he got them....well anyway a Ultima rep came by his shop one day and was trying to sell him on these transmissions and Brandon wasnt buying it because how cheap they are....rep told him try it i promise you want be disappointed.....Brandon got one and put it on and tried to hurt it....he called me and said dude this thing is tuff...so he added more boost pressure and i mean treated it like unreal bad and it took it.....he did finally destroy it but it took way more than baker could....so now he runs there motors and there transmissions on everything he builds....he has a 140 bruto motor with twin turbos on it and i mean its badass....so i know this is a long story but from what ive seen from Ultima they build some good stuff.....there chrome sucks but other than that its good stuff and a 1/4 of the price....S&S and Baker arent making quality stuff this day and time in my opinion and this is just my opinion.....They are just a name and thats all your getting and im not impressed with them anymore....i pay that much money as they are wanting it better be some good stuff....and its just not there anymore....if my shit goes bad im buying Ultima...like i said this is just my opinion
Now that is an endorsement!!! Thanks again !

I got my transmission in the mail to Baker drivetrain I hope I get back real soon cuz I don't feel like pulling the tranny out of the 06 and putting it in the 07. It was a lot of work. But if the 06 has American Steel in it for that main shaft then I probably will because if they're using China Steel now and they're going to put it into the '07 then I'll reconsider. Cuz I don't want that main shaft breaking on me and have to pull that tranny for a third time. LOL. I'll probably need some more help when I get ready to put it back together.

byrddog

Take some pictures once you pull the transmission of the issue and what it looks like. Always good to see pictures.

Regarding your outer cover.... if that was my bike I would just sand it smooth and clean it up and run it. Won't see it when it's back on. Regarding the chain, clean it up and have a good look at it. If nothing looks damaged, I would run it too.

Clean up the inner primary once you have it off and all the clutch steels and frictions to make sure you get all the shavings out and no damage from the shavings to the clutch assembly.

Once you swap trans and if you reuse the parts I mentioned above if it was my project I would change the primary oil after 100 miles or so and then another time after another 500 or so. That is worth the extra $10 for 2 quarts, oil is cheap parts are not. Hell I would probably do that oil change frequency regardless if it's new parts or old parts just to check the magnet on the drain plug is clean.

I just put in a new transmission on a bike and changed the oil after 500 and again after another 800 miles. Was going to do it at 1000 but it got cold anyways and wont see that this year. Checked the magnet on the drain plug and was clean as whistle both times, 2nd oil change was obviously unnecessary but was worth the $50 for the oil just so I feel better...lol
Take some pictures once you pull the transmission of the issue and what it looks like. Always good to see pictures.

Regarding your outer cover.... if that was my bike I would just sand it smooth and clean it up and run it. Won't see it when it's back on. Regarding the chain, clean it up and have a good look at it. If nothing looks damaged, I would run it too.

Clean up the inner primary once you have it off and all the clutch steels and frictions to make sure you get all the shavings out and no damage from the shavings to the clutch assembly.

Once you swap trans and if you reuse the parts I mentioned above if it was my project I would change the primary oil after 100 miles or so and then another time after another 500 or so. That is worth the extra $10 for 2 quarts, oil is cheap parts are not. Hell I would probably do that oil change frequency regardless if it's new parts or old parts just to check the magnet on the drain plug is clean.

I just put in a new transmission on a bike and changed the oil after 500 and again after another 800 miles. Was going to do it at 1000 but it got cold anyways and wont see that this year. Checked the magnet on the drain plug and was clean as whistle both times, 2nd oil change was obviously unnecessary but was worth the $50 for the oil just so I feel better...lol
Sure glad to know I'm not the only person! Big dogs are worth it.