Transmission malfunction

So I had a mechanic who forgot to put transmission fluid into my transmission when he did a 40,000 mile overhaul check up. And I'm cruising down the road in Pow! I hear a bunch of grinding noise and pull over. Got to get my trailer and take her home. 2007 Big Dog K-9 (original owner bought it brand new). He is no longer my mechanic. So I take it home and break it down. All the gears are mashed smashed and melted. I sent it to Baker drivetrain and they rebuilt it. I put it back in with all new parts and gaskets, orimary chain, belt, new Bandit Cruiser Clutch. I get about a thousand miles down the road and on Thanksgiving day I hear another grinding again. I pull over call my buddy, trailer at home, break it down. Tranny gears are all mashed up again but this time I had fluid in it because I put it in. Fortunately I bought a 2006 Big Dog K-9 a few months ago for a smoking price that could not be resisted. Anyway what I'd like to know is; Can a 2006 and a 2007 transmission be swapped out? I would like to take that 2006 transmission out of it and put it into the 2007. That way I'll have something to ride while I'm sending my 2007 transmission back to Baker drivetrain. The reason I just don't ride the 2006 is because I took all the foot pegs and hand controls and struts and all the other polushed aluminum off the 06 to have it chromed. So now I have 2 Big Dog K-9s and aren't doing so well. The only difference is I see between the two is that the 06 has a Daytek frame and the 07 has a Big Dog frame, other then that the '06 has TP heads in the '07 has S&S heads. So I actually have 2 questions I will appreciate any help with.

1. Will the 06 tranny fit into the '07?
2. Is there any other differences between the two that anybody knows about?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mikeinjersey

So I had a mechanic who forgot to put transmission fluid into my transmission when he did a 40,000 mile overhaul check up. And I'm cruising down the road in Pow! I hear a bunch of grinding noise and pull over. Got to get my trailer and take her home. 2007 Big Dog K-9 (original owner bought it brand new). He is no longer my mechanic. So I take it home and break it down. All the gears are mashed smashed and melted. I sent it to Baker drivetrain and they rebuilt it. I put it back in with all new parts and gaskets, orimary chain, belt, new Bandit Cruiser Clutch. I get about a thousand miles down the road and on Thanksgiving day I hear another grinding again. I pull over call my buddy, trailer at home, break it down. Tranny gears are all mashed up again

1. Will the 06 tranny fit into the '07?
2. Is there any other differences between the two that anybody knows about?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Baker Drivetrain should have the answer for you. Also I hope they had some sort of warranty on the trans they rebuilt for you. If not maybe a discount on rebuild #2. Let us know if you think their customer service is good or bad. Good Luck

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
Like the others said, You’ll find that those two transmissions are interchangeable. Call Eric at HDM and he’ll confirm.
As Mike says, please follow up and let us know how it goes with Baker. I’m pretty sure Baker is no longer making the BD transmissions (6 mounting holes) and hope they still rebuild them.
Most know that new BD’s have the Jim’s transmission, which mounts differently.

Mikeinjersey

Like the others said, You’ll find that those two transmissions are interchangeable. Call Eric at HDM and he’ll confirm.
As Mike says, please follow up and let us know how it goes with Baker. I’m pretty sure Baker is no longer making the BD transmissions (6 mounting holes) and hope they still rebuild them.
Most know that new BD’s have the Jim’s transmission, which mounts differently.
Interesting Skogdog. I was not aware of the change to Jim's . What year did BD end Baker and change over to Jim's ?

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
04 ridgebacks and alot of others that year has Jims cases with Baker internals.....both of my 04 ridgebacks have a Jims case....from my understanding back then Baker couldnt meet the demands on supplying cases so Jims filled in to meet the demand and Baker supplied internals...how true that is i dont know but i do know my 04s have Jims cases...

But with that said yall are talking about right side drives which do have a different bolt pattern than the left side drive

Skodog is right there isnt going to be a difference because of different frames the trans plate will be the same on those on those 2 bikes you have

Last edited:

SKOGDOG

One of the old ones.
I chatted with Eric today, and with a couple of minor exceptions, the Baker RSD transmissions mount identically. Your ‘06 and ‘07 are interchangeable. In fact the trans in my ‘08 K9 is a Baker 6 from a ‘09 or ‘10 Wolf.
There are two things to check when you swap the transmissions that might cause bearing failure after some time, But probably not catastrophic damage.
First is the shims. Document the location and save the shims when you remove the transmissions. Place the ‘new’ transmission in place and try to insert a feeler gauge. Insert shims to fit. Do this for all 6 bolts. Also—I remember bolting the transmission to the engine first to insure it was aligned square with the engine, then torqueing the mount bolts from underneath. Much easier to do if the shocks are removed. I made spare shims out of a pepsi can, but had enough and didn’t need them.
Next topic is belt alignment—many posts on that topic, so just follow those instructions.
As mentioned, it seems to me that misalignment of either of these things might result in premature bearing wear. Maybe someone with extensive shop experience could address what other things might account for the damage you had.
It is my understanding that Baker has stopped accepting rebuilds on Big Dog transmissions. So hopefully they will regard yours as under warranty. I also understand that they are no longer producing the BDM 6 speed (with our 6 bolt case configuration), so you definitely want to keep that good transmission case or have it rebuilt. And I think Andrew Barnes in Endwell NY is not rebuilding them either (please correct me if that is inaccurate—I spoke with him last summer and that’s what he told me).
Eric (HDM, Inc.) probably knows more about this topic of transmission repair than anyone alive today, so if Baker won’t make good on the re–do because the warranty period is up etc., give Eric a call and he can discuss what is current with the situation.
Again, please update, as this topic is of interest to several of us.

mjsk9

I chatted with Eric today, and with a couple of minor exceptions, the Baker RSD transmissions mount identically. Your ‘06 and ‘07 are interchangeable. In fact the trans in my ‘08 K9 is a Baker 6 from a ‘09 or ‘10 Wolf.
There are two things to check when you swap the transmissions that might cause bearing failure after some time, But probably not catastrophic damage.
First is the shims. Document the location and save the shims when you remove the transmissions. Place the ‘new’ transmission in place and try to insert a feeler gauge. Insert shims to fit. Do this for all 6 bolts. Also—I remember bolting the transmission to the engine first to insure it was aligned square with the engine, then torqueing the mount bolts from underneath. Much easier to do if the shocks are removed. I made spare shims out of a pepsi can, but had enough and didn’t need them.
Next topic is belt alignment—many posts on that topic, so just follow those instructions.
As mentioned, it seems to me that misalignment of either of these things might result in premature bearing wear. Maybe someone with extensive shop experience could address what other things might account for the damage you had.
It is my understanding that Baker has stopped accepting rebuilds on Big Dog transmissions. So hopefully they will regard yours as under warranty. I also understand that they are no longer producing the BDM 6 speed (with our 6 bolt case configuration), so you definitely want to keep that good transmission case or have it rebuilt. And I think Andrew Barnes in Endwell NY is not rebuilding them either (please correct me if that is inaccurate—I spoke with him last summer and that’s what he told me).
Eric (HDM, Inc.) probably knows more about this topic of transmission repair than anyone alive today, so if Baker won’t make good on the re–do because the warranty period is up etc., give Eric a call and he can discuss what is current with the situation.
Again, please update, as this topic is of interest to several of us.
I think Andrew is still rebuilding them. Here are a few select quotes from his FaceBook Page, Big Dog and American Ironhorse Riders.....

This one from May 10th, 2020.....

1607167186008.png

This from May 2020 as well.....
1607166990804.png

And this exchange just a week ago......
1607167795836.png

Here is a link for further information....

Big Dog and American Ironhorse Riders | Facebook

Hope this helps!

Hey everyone, first of all I must thank everybody for all the input I received on this subject. Thank you very much it's been very helpful. I talked with Baker Drivetrain and yes I can take the 06 tranny and put it into the '07. The '06 only has 4,000 miles on it and the 07 has 45,000 miles on it. It might seem like a lot of work but I think that it would be worth it because it's going to be a couple months before I get the tranny back from Baker. I live in Cave Creek Arizona and the riding weather is perfect and I just can't go without a bike for 2 months. Anyway I do have a 1-year warranty from the first rebuild which started in March so it's covered and they said to send it in and they would have JT rebuild it again. JT is their transmission expert. Yes it's true that they no longer rebuild and I'm lucky that I got in mine there just in time, last April of this year. Another reason that I'm going to take the 06 and put it into the 07 is because I just removed all of the hand controls, foot controls, speedometer housing, struts, passenger pegs and shift lever rod to have them chromed. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I'm finding this fairly easy to do myself. I'm just concerned about this mention of the shims and getting everything lined up just right.

When my tranny went out whatever happened inside there made the new Bandit clutch travel outwards and the four bolts rubbed against the inside of my outer primary case and it's full of aluminum shavings. It's recommended that I replace the primary chain also.

Well it's back to the garage for me. Once again thank you for all the input and all the suggestions.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Hey everyone, first of all I must thank everybody for all the input I received on this subject. Thank you very much it's been very helpful. I talked with Baker Drivetrain and yes I can take the 06 tranny and put it into the '07. The '06 only has 4,000 miles on it and the 07 has 45,000 miles on it. It might seem like a lot of work but I think that it would be worth it because it's going to be a couple months before I get the tranny back from Baker. I live in Cave Creek Arizona and the riding weather is perfect and I just can't go without a bike for 2 months. Anyway I do have a 1-year warranty from the first rebuild which started in March so it's covered and they said to send it in and they would have JT rebuild it again. JT is their transmission expert. Yes it's true that they no longer rebuild and I'm lucky that I got in mine there just in time, last April of this year. Another reason that I'm going to take the 06 and put it into the 07 is because I just removed all of the hand controls, foot controls, speedometer housing, struts, passenger pegs and shift lever rod to have them chromed. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I'm finding this fairly easy to do myself. I'm just concerned about this mention of the shims and getting everything lined up just right.

When my tranny went out whatever happened inside there made the new Bandit clutch travel outwards and the four bolts rubbed against the inside of my outer primary case and it's full of aluminum shavings. It's recommended that I replace the primary chain also.

Well it's back to the garage for me. Once again thank you for all the input and all the suggestions.

Looks like you clutch hub nut backed off.....making me wonder even if your transmission is even hurt....i bet that hub nut backing off is all of your problem.....but it may be possible you main shaft might be broke too.....i would check all that before taking the trans off

Looks like you clutch hub nut backed off.....making me wonder even if your transmission is even hurt....i bet that hub nut backing off is all of your problem.....but it may be possible you main shaft might be broke too.....i would check all that before taking the trans off
Hi knothead, I appreciate your input but it is definitely not the clutch hub nut. The whole clutch basket moves in and out I can slide it back and forth so it must something in the transmission. And I already got it all broke down I'm going to open up that transmission today. I appreciate your your thoughts on this. All you guys are great help.

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Supporting Member
Hi knothead, I appreciate your input but it is definitely not the clutch hub nut. The whole clutch basket moves in and out I can slide it back and forth so it must something in the transmission. And I already got it all broke down I'm going to open up that transmission today. I appreciate your your thoughts on this. All you guys are great help.

Well damn i was hoping you might get lucky an that be all it was...

Mickmorris

Supporting Member
Sounds like you have it well in hand. Should be riding again soon. Glad Baker is taking care of you on that deal. Totally sounds like something from the rebuild let go. Great to know Andrew is still available for help.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member

Take some pictures once you pull the transmission of the issue and what it looks like. Always good to see pictures.

Regarding your outer cover.... if that was my bike I would just sand it smooth and clean it up and run it. Won't see it when it's back on. Regarding the chain, clean it up and have a good look at it. If nothing looks damaged, I would run it too.

Clean up the inner primary once you have it off and all the clutch steels and frictions to make sure you get all the shavings out and no damage from the shavings to the clutch assembly.

Once you swap trans and if you reuse the parts I mentioned above if it was my project I would change the primary oil after 100 miles or so and then another time after another 500 or so. That is worth the extra $10 for 2 quarts, oil is cheap parts are not. Hell I would probably do that oil change frequency regardless if it's new parts or old parts just to check the magnet on the drain plug is clean.

I just put in a new transmission on a bike and changed the oil after 500 and again after another 800 miles. Was going to do it at 1000 but it got cold anyways and wont see that this year. Checked the magnet on the drain plug and was clean as whistle both times, 2nd oil change was obviously unnecessary but was worth the $50 for the oil just so I feel better...lol

Last edited:
Good guess... It had nothing to do with the clutch. Bandit clutches don't have a nut. So you're right about the main shaft. See pic.