This is what happens when you use the wrong oil filter.....

Marky-Marc

I Want to thank @Th3InfamousI Erik for playing along today and achieving a 100% score on the pop quizzes today....he has achieved BONUS LEVEL!

This is what happens when the Harley Dealer sells you a Twin Cam Oil filter (which you inadvertently asked for by mistake....so) and you keep riding your Bike when it starts to tick.....and it melts/overheats and seizes......going 80mph on the highway.....

Just a friendly FYI.....always use the correct oil filter......if you do an oil change and it STARTS TICKING....SHUT IT OFF!!!!!!!

I’m currently having a GLITTER PARTY with Heinekens.......

Cheers!

856D638A-6AD6-4CA9-837D-F29A592CEEC9.jpeg

7638F183-EACB-43DD-A5C9-A32B1F03062A.jpeg

AD0EC553-B818-4398-B0B3-3F109366AC03.jpeg

Last edited:

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Evo filter is what you use on an s&s not a twin cam filter which is more restrictive.
Well if it's an S&S twin Cam you should use the twin Cam filter.. Lol

Difference in Evo vs TwinCam is due to the oil filter placement in routing. Evo motor filters oil after it comes from the engine, TC filters oil before it goes into the engine. Therefore the oil pump pushes oil at much higher rate through Twin Cam then EVO. There's an antidrain back valve in TC that an evo motor can't use cause the pressure is too low.

Here's a good article on the two.
https://www.baggersmag.com/use-right-oil-filter

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Sven

Interesting. Did not know this. So the trivia goes something like this:
1. Evo - Low pressure pump needs a filter pleat meeting at least 30 microns.
2. Twinkie = Has a higher volume pump so it can push thru a tighter pleat that keeps a 10 micron limit from passing.
3. Filter - Difference is pleat material only. Direction remains the same, meaning, no change mechanical wise in function.

How close am I?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. Did not know this. So the trivia goes something like this:
1. Evo - Low pressure pump needs a filter pleat meeting at least 30 microns.
2. Twinkie = Has a higher volume pump so it can push thru a tighter pleat that keeps a 10 micron limit from passing.
3. Filter - Difference is pleat material only. Direction remains the same, meaning, no change mechanical wise in function.

How close am I?
Missing the bypass valve part so oil can fill the evo crank case fuller than it needs to be and therefore end up spitting out your carb.

Twin Cam has a bypass valve restriction so oil doesn't drain into the case when sitting in the garage. Pressure opens the flap and allows allow to go into the engine. But EVO scavenging pressure doesn't open it enough.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Ernie12

We just had this discussion in one of my posts with my new to me 02 pro sport. I am so glad I found out the differences before I did my oil change. Good Luck with the rebuild or should I say new motor.

Fat_Bastard

I believe it's right where it needs to be, so even the newest FNG can see what can happen when they don't come here for the right information.
2 words...….. OH, F**K !

had to edit it when I saw it was in the "General" section.

for those that don't know, ours takes a Evo style part # K&P 170 (C, if you want chrome)
I believe it is "K & N 170 c" for K&N filter in chrome; (not "P" unless K&P re-useable filter...)
or Harley EVO 30 micron oil filter part# 63796-77A. been using the Harley oil filters for 14 years in my S&S 107 with no problems for 45,000+ miles.

Last edited: