Stator Life Expectancy

Energy One

PurpleDog

Curious, is it somewhat normal to get about 17k miles out of stator? (give or take) This is my first S&S motor/bike; I'm curios what you guys are getting out of your stators. Should I replace every cpl years?
I've got the old one out after testing bad, fairly straight forward. Just sucked that I had just completed a Bandit install and testing it out...figures...:D

jbotts

I'm not surprised to see a S&S big twin going strong after 80K, but totally amazed that the starter has lasted that long also. It takes a lot of juice AND elbow grease from the starter to turn these motors over.

Raywood

The Pirate
Staff member
Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
I'm not surprised to see a S&S big twin going strong after 80K, but totally amazed that the starter has lasted that long also. It takes a lot of juice AND elbow grease from the starter to turn these motors over.
Ha ha, mines lasted through 10 of them if I remember correctly!!!! :D

PurpleDog

almost 80,000 miles on mine and 6 yrs old :D
Thanks Ray; so my magnets were all broken down; makes me wonder why of course. Primary oil used, heat or just luck of the draw you think?

SuperFly I knew yours went out in Dayatona - didn't know how many miles, thanks. Were your magnets breaking downs (chunks) too?

:D On the starters....

:cheers:

phatchopper300

I just wanta ride
Replacing mine this weekend with 11,500 miles. I haven't gotten into it but thats the only thing left to replace to get the charging system to work again. New battery and VR!

DRBarnhart

Insert title here...
I'd bet the lack of a compensating sprocket has a lot to do with rotors/stators breaking down... :(

My Fat Boy has never had any charging issues in it's 21 years of life! :2thumbs:

Dennis

stlmikie

I wish I had more money.
I replaced mine at about 15000. The new one was thicker and harder. It needed to be milled a bit to fit but I don't think this one will be broke.

glenguy

Hi, I have only 9000miles on my 08 k-9 volt meter shows I am not charging anything into battery from stator, what is the correct way to check a stator as it's running ?. Glen