Start switch broken silicone button.

Mumko

New Member
Glad to be part of the BDM society :)
Since Yesterday I am a happy owner of 2004 Big Dog Chopper. The bike is in near mint condition, only 7500 miles on clock.
There are only one issue.
Won'ted even crank when I push button run and then start. On the right side only the blinker button is working.
I opened the console and I took out the green circuit board. The white silicone is broken and the black plastic top start button is missing. I closed again the right hand control because I have nothing to do here until the new boards and buttons arrives. Could be that the problem for not starting? Seems like nothing is working in this side. Stop; run and start buttons are not responding. When I connect another cable from + to the starter solenoid the starter jump but won't turn because the decomposers are not releasing the compression.
I managed to start the bike with cables from another battery. Could be the broken silicon buttons the problem?
 

Mikeinjersey

Well-Known Member
Glad to be part of the BDM society :)
Since Yesterday I am a happy owner of 2004 Big Dog Chopper. The bike is in near mint condition, only 7500 miles on clock.
There are only one issue.
Won'ted even crank when I push button run and then start. On the right side only the blinker button is working.
I opened the console and I took out the green circuit board. The white silicone is broken and the black plastic top start button is missing. I closed again the right hand control because I have nothing to do here until the new boards and buttons arrives. Could be that the problem for not starting? Seems like nothing is working in this side. Stop; run and start buttons are not responding. When I connect another cable from + to the starter solenoid the starter jump but won't turn because the decomposers are not releasing the compression.
I managed to start the bike with cables from another battery. Could be the broken silicon buttons the problem?
Welcome from NJ,
This video may help you troubleshoot.

 

Mikeinjersey

Well-Known Member
Be very careful with jumping your bike!! The EHC is very susceptible to damage . Never jump from a car battery with the car running.
Also , BDs want a healthy battery have yours load tested even if you think it's new. To protect the EHC check to see if the original owner put a fuse between the battery and EHC. The bike only came stock with a CB which protects the battery from an overcharge or a short from the VR. but no such protection for the EHC.
 

Mumko

New Member
You can activate the CR’s manually by pressing down on the rubber boot in the center of your rocker covers also to ensure they are functioning properly
They are electric so, I can press a little but the feeling is like I am not activating them. Just a little play. Today I found the way to start the bike.
1-turning the key to ignition
2-pressing RUN and in the same time pressing Start buttons (not cranking)
3-At the same time cable from the positive terminal to the starter solenoid and the bike starts with no problems.
In 2 weeks the new buttons will arrive and I hope will start normally.
In my country Bulgaria there are 4or5 Big Dogs so, the bike is pretty rare and neck breaker
I am so happy with
 

Mumko

New Member
Does it still have the EHC controller?
If so check out the lights on it when trying to start the bike.
Still the original EHC.
When I turn the key on all the led lights started to bling for a sec and then only two on the right side are keeping to be on. One orange and one green.
I read that the EHC is a weak point but it's still working. I have to start searching for EHC but won't spend 1200 for new one.
 
Top