Side covers on k9

Fishawk

Hello all,new to the k9 wondering how you guys get these covers off without scratching paint up , and getting them back on,and getting lower pin in,, there must be some tricks to these Thanks.

Steven Proctor

I will tell you it is not easy. Your supposed to take the exhaust off to get the right side off. I take the left off first, which is pretty easy. I then very carefully take the right side off. It will flex some, but it does take some maneuvering. I have the Vance and Hines exhaust.

Smoke67

The left is easy. I have mean mother's on mine. I pull the clutch cover off just enough to get the right side off. My problem is broken tabs on the covers. Just got the reinforcement kit in. Now to get em on and repaint.

mleach72

The left is easy. I have mean mother's on mine. I pull the clutch cover off just enough to get the right side off. My problem is broken tabs on the covers. Just got the reinforcement kit in. Now to get em on and repaint.
I had the same problem of broken tabs on the electrical covers. I got the reinforcement kit. Yes, it comes with 2 raw covers, but if your original covers are still in good shape, just use them. No repainting is necessary then. You just have to remove any tabs that aren't broken. This is nice especially if your dog has a high level paint job and the covers have matching paint.

Smoke67

Got the reinforcement kit and have it at my local body shop guy to repair and repaint. Mine are just black thank goodness. I have read about a pin kit that replaces the bolts in the tabs that break (rear). Has anyone used these and how did they work out?

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
I would never even think about taking my exhaust off or taping anything, sure the right side cover is snug to get into place but just need to exercise care when putting it on... :2cents:

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
i understand being careful but accidents do happen and that is why I use painters tape to protect the paint job! To each his own, but for me taking a few minutes to apply tape is worth it.
I always have my hands protecting the paint, blood wipes off pretty easily.. :oldsmile:

Mr. Wright

Knows some things
Supporting Member
Most of the ones I work on I don't have any problem getting them on and off, except for two bikes. The one I had in the shop this morning, you have to take the whole front belt guard, loose to get it out.

Fortunately I had to take my muffins off to repair the bracket so I figured I might as well take the side covers off but to do so I had to loosen up the belt cover and pull it out. So it's really easy if you don't have your mufflers on. I tried doing it a few years ago without pulling it belt cover and I scratched them really bad. It's best just to take your time and do it right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Smoke67

Just an update on the reinforcement kit. Installed them with epoxy. Had them repainted. Reinstalled the bolts as stated in the manual. Finger tight. Ridden several times as there is nowhere open right now. Fingers crossed but all is good so far.
Hopefully everyone is doing well during these strange times.