Rocker Box Gaskets Metal vs Fiber

1Dog

Hey Guys,

Went to a local dealer to get rocker box gaskets and they gave me the S&S 90-4111 set for my 05 Ridgeback. I told that guy that I had TP cover and that the set looked different than what I should have had and he assured me that they were correct. After digging into my covers, I see that I have a metal base gasket while the new set is fiber, also the other rings and such were the wrong size. After researching a bit, I see the 90-4111 is for newer 117ci motors with the S&S and 6bolt covers.

Can you tell me if there could be a problem with using the S&S fiber base gaskets with my TP covers?

1Dog

Again, the question is: Can I use the S&S fiber gaskets in place of the original TP metal gaskets. The fibers do fit in place...Thanks

Brew

Troop Supporter
For TP you need part number 0934-0037 that's what I used for my 2005 ridge the gaskets are different, look and compare...

1Dog

Thanks Brew, but my questions is can the fiber/composite ones be used as well for my year...They do fit but I have to wonder why TP used metal instead composite.

Brew

Troop Supporter
I would advise against using the fiber gasket in this case. There's a reason the TP boxes have the metal gasket and my guess would be for the sealing capability available when the motor is hot. If you notice the metal gasket is press formed for sealing mating surfaces. Also, I believe the rocker box cover gasket is pre-shaped to the S&S rocker box cover where the TP has the two big rubber seals below that you form to the cover valley.. Just saying... My wife constantly tells me, "use the right tool for the job." I'm telling you, use the right parts for the job or you'll end up spending more money than it's worth. Just another nit, a lot of us have changed out the TP rocker boxes and went to the S&S set-up on our 05 models. It's a little spendy, but to me it's worth it. How did the alignment look on your valve stems where the rockers ride, was the wear marks centered or were they off center? If off center you might want to look into the change over before more expensive issues occur. If they're centered then your one of the lucky ones.

1Dog

Thanks for the input guys. This is what I got from TP directly:

"You can use a fiber/composite gasket instead of the metal one. We prefer the metal gaskets over the older paper gaskets and fiber gaskets because they are easier to work with and they last longer."

I've already installed the S&S base gaskets from the 90-4111 kit (the other gaskets in the kit didn't fit). I'll let you know if they fail too soon but I think they're going to work fine.....Thanks again!