replaced starter, no start

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
It seems to me that something is breaking the circuit causing the EHC to cycle On and Off when you try to start your bike. The EHC is grounded via the key switch when turned on to turn the EHC ON. Since, it is unlikely that the Circuit is being interrupted, then trying to start is causing the voltage to the EHC to go out of it’s normal band. If it’s not the battery voltage dropping out of range rapidly, I would believe it’s the EHC especially since you said the slam button works.

These are my thoughts but not being familiar with this type of failure, I hope someone else can chime in to help you out. Also, you could get your EHC tested.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I purchased the starter from BDMs eBay store. The starter was removed from the bike and when hooked directly to the battery the starter spins. When I push the slam button the solenoid completes the circuit and also works as it should. When I attach everything to the bike and hit the start button the starter indeed does not spin but rather the jack shaft pops out. When this happens the headlight turns off and back on and the tach sweeps again, like the bike is turning off and back on.
How is your ground wire hooked up? Should be directly from one of the two starter mounting Bolts directly up to the battery negative.

If it spins off the bike but not on seem to have an issue with wiring or just a low battery. Your mention of voltage dropping to 6v, after all this could just be a new battery..haha

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

toadstool

How is your ground wire hooked up? Should be directly from one of the two starter mounting Bolts directly up to the battery negative.
Hooked up as you mentioned on the bike. Off the bike is with a jumper cable going from starter mounting bolt area to negative battery terminal.

The battery tests 12.6 V.

When I hit the start button with nothing attached I measure the red input wire going to the solenoid. The voltage measures 12.6 V. Should this be continued as long as the button is depressed?

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
Hooked up as you mentioned on the bike. Off the bike is with a jumper cable going from starter mounting bolt area to negative battery terminal.

The battery tests 12.6 V.

When I hit the start button with nothing attached I measure the red input wire going to the solenoid. The voltage measures 12.6 V. Should this be continued as long as the button is depressed?
Not the red wire, solenoid should be green? Although you said a shop put in a starter Relay, so who knows what color it is now. Still might be worthwhile to rule out a battery at least have it tested.

Also, I am confused on this starter Relay you shouldn't need it it's possible it's causing a negative feedback loop and resetting the module. What module system runs your bike? The original EHC or one of the many kits later?

Overall more pics and videos will help. Your bike got bastardized by a shop and something isnt right but it's hard to figure it out without seeing it all. Take pics of the computer kit, this starter Relay and the wiring into the starter, etc.

We really need to figure out how this Relay was wired in.

Last edited:

Nukeranger

Nukeranger
Supporting Member
You should have a starter and a starter solenoid attached to it. Nothing else. So, what is this starter relay that was installed? It needs to be removed if it’s not the starter solenoid which is mounted to the top of the starter.

toadstool

222AA728-DA5E-486B-B494-588C538BBFCC.jpeg I am close to having this figured out. I need to know where exactly this wire off the start button goes. The bundle of wires is routed inside the handle bars but not the two white ones wrapped in black.
With the handle bar control apart the bike seems to work fine but when put together it doesn’t start. I see no obvious pressure being applied to anything and the connections are snug. Any ideas?

Last edited:

toadstool

I tested the switch and continuity is good. I cleaned it up and it appears fine, just a little grimy before hand. Whats odd is once the hand control was taken apart everything worked fine. I see no obvious short but I will pull the wires from the handlebars and inspect them.

I tested the switch and continuity is good. I cleaned it up and it appears fine, just a little grimy before hand. Whats odd is once the hand control was taken apart everything worked fine. I see no obvious short but I will pull the wires from the handlebars and inspect them.
Could be a loose pin on the connections not making full contact?

2D0EF1F6-E960-49AC-B6E6-BF68F97A186D.jpeg Also this is what I did on my hand controls. I used light heat shrink on the connections to keep the connections locked in. Careful not to put allot of heat on the pcb boards.