Rear Suspension

Peckerwood

I'm posting this in the hopes of getting some input and opinions. My ride doesn't seem to be as smooth as it once was, pretty stiff out back. Maybe that's because my shocks are 11 years old now, or maybe it's because I just turned 60; I suspect it's a combination of the two. Any way, I just about have myself talked into replacing the shocks on my '04 Mastiff, and I'm wondering what to go with. I know WSW has two different sets for sale on his web site. I also suspect there are many other options. I'm not much of a believer in the air ride, but I'll gladly listen to what you all have to say. I'm looking for good, quality parts, I don't put cheap shit on my bike. Opinions/options/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
I have air ride on my 07 K9 and it seems to work a lot better than the standard shocks that were on my 07 Bulldog. Some of the difference may be in the different riding profile between the tow bikes. Also you may have a point about the age of the shocks and you turning 60:lol: One thing I do notice is if I have the sissy bar on and use my overnite bag as a back rest I get a lot further with less aggravation to my lower back which is about shot.

BadDawg Bill

The shocks on my 2004 chopper never moved. You could jump on the back and no give. It basically was a hard tail. I bought Progressive shocks the Heavy Duty ones and they seem stiff but a lot better than stock. They also cost a lot more than the ones Curtis has. If I were going to do it again I'd try the ones Curtis has because other members said they liked them and it will save you money.

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
might could go another route altogether, and talk to "Seatmaker" about adding some gel to your seat.

mittens

I have a thread on the Progressive 422's.

When i got my bike it bottomed out pretty easy on bumps.

got a set of Progressive 422's and they are adjustable hight, and ride... and work great.

American Iron hoarse used them on there softails too, and they had a differnt part numnber but same shocks... thats how i got mine. pull offs.

Five Five

I had the air ride and the stock shocks ... Now i'm running the the pretty chrome ones I got from Wild Steed Worx and they work great nice smooth ride absorbs all the bumps.

Shocks are such a MFer.
I speak as a seller here.
One guy will love the soft ride the next guy hates it.
A lot of questions have to be asked and answered to "Try" and make sure the customer gets what they are after.
I have run air ride from day one and I love it but I am a big guy and I need control over the suspension. The progressives are by far the best but you have to make sure you get the setup that is right for you.

Peckerwood

Exactly what I was looking for, now I can begin some focused research. Seeing as I'm only 165 lbs., I'll take that into consideration when shopping. Adjustable and progressive, for sure. I'll also research the air ride thing instead of dismissing it immediately. I'm thinking the gel pad suggestion is good, too. Thanks, all, I appreciate the feedback.

mittens

here is a old thread.
http://www.bigdogbiker.com/forums/brakes-suspension/33920-progressive-softtail-shocks.html

the 422's will fit the left side drive bikes. I am 230 and sometimes ride 2 up (140lbs chick) and have mine set on 3 for 2 up. rides great. you woul dhave to be a HEAVY guy for the HD versions.

This is the other part number. progressive 6220940002

that was a 422 with a differnt number, they where made for American Iron hoarse bikes. They are identicle to the 422. and can be had on ebay and stuff for a good deal...

Last edited:

BadDawg Bill

Exactly what I was looking for, now I can begin some focused research. Seeing as I'm only 165 lbs., I'll take that into consideration when shopping. Adjustable and progressive, for sure. I'll also research the air ride thing instead of dismissing it immediately. I'm thinking the gel pad suggestion is good, too. Thanks, all, I appreciate the feedback.
Like I said if I were to do it over I'd go with a set from Curtis but it's your decision. The Progressive ones will cost about twice as much and if you are just 165# then don't get the heavy duty ones get the regular ones.

mittens

Like I said if I were to do it over I'd go with a set from Curtis but it's your decision. The Progressive ones will cost about twice as much and if you are just 165# then don't get the heavy duty ones get the regular ones.
340 bucks, free shipping for a new set of 422s.

or wild steeds worx, 422 copies, for 325 a set.. so I would probably do that. either way same shock.

340 bucks, free shipping for a new set of 422s.

or wild steeds worx, 422 copies, for 325 a set.. so I would probably do that. either way same shock.
The 422 copies we carry are only $162.40 a set.
But don't expect 422s because they aren't.
They are a nice low cost shock but only for smaller stature people.

mittens

My bad I was thinking 165 each.
was talking about something that is not mine to talk about MY apologies Curtis.

Peckerwood

Hey guys, it's all good. Curtis-p.m. sent. Thanks again, everyone.
P.S. Curtis- "smaller stature people"? SMALLER STATURE PEOPLE" ??? What are you tryin' to say??? I prefer "Angry Little Ball of Hate".

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Mr. Old Fart member #145
Staff member
Hey guys, it's all good. Curtis-p.m. sent. Thanks again, everyone.
P.S. Curtis- "smaller stature people"? SMALLER STATURE PEOPLE" ??? What are you tryin' to say??? I prefer "Angry Little Ball of Hate".
:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: