Rear shocks

BWG56

Guru
First of all let me start off by saying all I said was I installed a set of Progressive Shocks on my 07' Mastiff and in no way did I mislead anyone by stating they should run out and buy a pair today and install them. I didn't disclose any information on how I did it, nor will I until I have extensively tested this and I'm satisfied with the results.

In the Engineering Profession I was in for 40+ years, I was the guy the Engineers came to when they couldn't design their way out of a jam and that's when an invention was conceived, PID's and Patents were filed as it was tested extensively prior to being introduced to the public or placed in a vendor manufacturing plant for production. That's the purpose of PID's and Patent's and we all know I have several of them so I know the process of new concepts and the down side to a product or process's introduced to the public before its ready.

I put 200 miles on these shocks this weekend and today I tweaked the ride height and the preload for myself and my wife as this is how I ride 95% of the time and the difference from stock is amazing.

With that out of the way, here are pictures that show as much as I want to show at this time, and this is my Mastiff in my garage over my pit which makes it really easy to access the shocks, so don't demand that I have to disclose anymore information than I have already because I don't have to at this time until I'm satisfied with the results.

Have you ever wondered why you see spy shots of new vehicles with Camo on all the panels before they are released as the newest design. Hmmmm

Last edited:

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
See how people can have a quality conversation and if you have questions ask and it may or may not get answered. I have been looking for a new shock system for my 04 which will only help a few but hey if it works I will show ya. I am not on here to babysit either and its hard to direct a conversation back on track to topic. We can reopen a topic but stop callin names and start asking questions that help PLEASE. People need shocks and want to ride in comfort for may reasons. My reason is I'm 50 and I still LOVE my Big Dog. Cant wait for my buddys input on air ride and going to local shock builder and see what it will take to fit their system on my bike. I will inform everyone what I find out but working 68 hour work weeks it takes time. Please keep it civil. We (The Mods) are not paid and we do this out of love of you guys, Big Dog and Big Dog Biker. (OK Only Love Some of you) HA

SEAL-rider

It's a little blurry because of the effects of radiation on film, but this is a picture of the patent-pending nuclear reactor I successfully installed on my 05 Chopper.

513wG%ZARgajPvjlgF%wIg.jpg

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Seal that's too much shine. Reminds me of watching Cinemax as a kid when we didn't has a subscription. But that's on a 05 Chopper? Just verifying.

RC AIH and Big Dog are a lot alike. My buddy has one and a lot of parts are same fit

RCAdd1ct

JAFO
Seal that's too much shine. Reminds me of watching Cinemax as a kid when we didn't has a subscription. But that's on a 05 Chopper? Just verifying.

RC AIH and Big Dog are a lot alike. My buddy has one and a lot of parts are same fit
Wait I can almost make out boobs, no those are glasses....dang moment over. :)

The similarities of big dog and AIH are what brought me to this wonderful site many, many years ago.

I got an alert on a response to the elm clutch thread and was killing time catching up.

Y’all have a great evening.

chubs

Guru
It's a little blurry because of the effects of radiation on film, but this is a picture of the patent-pending nuclear reactor I successfully installed on my 05 Chopper.

View attachment 59965
Ya got a patent on it yet? Soon as I figure out how to pull a cooling tower around on a trailer, I'm gonna beat ya to it ! ( I bet Nukeranger could help!!)

Hirter6Pack

Not Quite A Guru

View attachment 59965
If it is I thought of it first.

That's the exact same image I had after I laid my bicycle down 47 years ago when I bounced over a curb and got the leg of my bell bottom jeans caught in the chain because I had removed the guard. My eyes were rattling around in my head but I knew to lay it down because I didn't want to hit the side of a 1969 Pontiac station wagon that was parked across the sidewalk.:oldcrazy:

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
Its hard to babysit, when its not a job, just an adventure. We try to be far to everyone and give warnings. Damn I think this is the most Ive posted in years on here because I just try to keep peace behind the curtain. PM me what you need and I will look into it BUT no promises.

I'm going to add something about shocks setup so I wont be reported about being off topic. So If you guys add a 140lbs girlfriend, a small bag does your bike rub the tire over bumps? Oh weight I know the answer. Yes it does. That means your stops are not set up right and you must adjust counter clockwise or clock wise to increase the stop?

See what I did there PK?

Last edited:

BWG56

Guru
See how people can have a quality conversation and if you have questions ask and it may or may not get answered. I have been looking for a new shock system for my 04 which will only help a few but hey if it works I will show ya. I am not on here to babysit either and its hard to direct a conversation back on track to topic. We can reopen a topic but stop callin names and start asking questions that help PLEASE. People need shocks and want to ride in comfort for may reasons. My reason is I'm 50 and I still LOVE my Big Dog. Cant wait for my buddys input on air ride and going to local shock builder and see what it will take to fit their system on my bike. I will inform everyone what I find out but working 68 hour work weeks it takes time. Please keep it civil. We (The Mods) are not paid and we do this out of love of you guys, Big Dog and Big Dog Biker. (OK Only Love Some of you) HA
That would be interesting to see what they come up with for air ride on your 04'. I don't know what the underside of an 04' looks like but when I was looking at the different types of shocks including air shocks most that I found actually increase the eyelet to eyelet dimension unlike my 07' Mastiff actually decreases the eyelet to eyelet dimension in order to lift the bike. Another area of concern I ran into was the oil line on the right rear shock. The OEM air shock has a clearance grove in the shock housing for clearance around this oil line. The reason for the shock being so large in diameter is because of the surface area of the shaft has to be removed from the total area of the piston needed to retract in order to provide the force needed to lift the Dog's ass end. The formula is a very simple one once the force required is known.

But I have to agree with Curtis on one thing, this is a good conversation to have and the NON-VALUE added comments should really be deleted so you don't have to go thru the garbage post's and worthless comments. Now I was guilty of this in the past but moving forward they are really uncalled for, unless you give me the word that this activity is acceptable again then hell put me down for a big bucket of Whoopass. LMAO

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
That would be interesting to see what they come up with for air ride on your 04'. I don't know what the underside of an 04' looks like but when I was looking at the different types of shocks including air shocks most that I found actually increase the eyelet to eyelet dimension unlike my 07' Mastiff actually decreases the eyelet to eyelet dimension in order to lift the bike. Another area of concern I ran into was the oil line on the right rear shock. The OEM air shock has a clearance grove in the shock housing for clearance around this oil line. The reason for the shock being so large in diameter is because of the surface area of the shaft has to be removed from the total area of the piston needed to retract in order to provide the force needed to lift the Dog's ass end. The formula is a very simple one once the force required is known.

But I have to agree with Curtis on one thing, this is a good conversation to have and the NON-VALUE added comments should really be deleted so you don't have to go thru the garbage post's and worthless comments. Now I was guilty of this in the past but moving forward they are really uncalled for, unless you give me the word that this activity is acceptable again then hell put me down for a big bucket of Whoopass. LMAO
Looks like posts 29 and 30 are right on point;) progressive to say the least.

LOL it's all BS and of no use to the members of this forum unless someone admits how their putting them in.
Don't want to give up a secret that's fine but damn at least admit how it's being done and quit saying they "fit" when they don't readily fit.

pknowles

RETIRED
Supporting Member
Maybe I am confused, But I have a 2004 Chopper, and its has progressive 422s, they bolted in?
I think the K9 is more the issue than the older dogs. There's rumors that they will fit but no concrete proof yet that has been posted. Hopefully someone will post some pictures of the install shortly. Then the myth(bigfoot) will be solved and we can get back to the current affairs.

Dakotabos

Calendar Participant
Troop Supporter
KaptinAmerika
Mickeetwo

Lets just see if anyone has some pictures to add. Everyone wants the best ride possible. Heck I'm going out after work today and take a ride in a 200 mile circle through the beautiful Black Hills of south Dakota. Before the snow flies.

Can anyone share with the class and add pictures of the install. Type installed, any mods, comfort, etc

Thanks all