Rear shock bolt

edward

Member
Hello everyone I had a rear shock bolt break in the frame on my 2000 big dog bulldog has anyone had this happen to them and how did you remove the broken bolt any advice would help. I just wondered if there is a tool to get it out without cutting the plate off. Can’t afford to take bike to a shop waiting to see if insurance will pay for it. I hit a pothole
 

Mickmorris

Well Known Member
Supporting Member
Hello everyone I had a rear shock bolt break in the frame on my 2000 big dog bulldog has anyone had this happen to them and how did you remove the broken bolt any advice would help. I just wondered if there is a tool to get it out without cutting the plate off. Can’t afford to take bike to a shop waiting to see if insurance will pay for it. I hit a pothole
Your bike has the hidden shocks underneath? Take a picture and post it so we can see what you are dealing with. I had a rear shock bolt break on my 2000 vintage sport but I don’t think we have the same setup.
 

knothead

Second Chance Customs
Just need to weld a knot far enough out to get a nut on it and then weld the nut...whoever's does it for you needs to take there time and not let the weld get on the threads...it can be done...it may take 30 nuts but it can he done.

And I would also change all 4 bolts cause if one broke others maybe be stressed cracked and about to break because of what happened
 

bikeone

Well-Known Member
Supporting Member
Hello everyone I had a rear shock bolt break in the frame on my 2000 big dog bulldog has anyone had this happen to them and how did you remove the broken bolt any advice would help. I just wondered if there is a tool to get it out without cutting the plate off. Can’t afford to take bike to a shop waiting to see if insurance will pay for it. I hit a pothole
dont know how many space to work you have there.
if you have space enough use a left hand drill in 90 degree drill machine.
rust remover spray before is helpful if you wanna try with hammer and screwdriver.
Maybe can weld a screwmother on the broken bolt and screw it out.
A pic would be helpful fo find best way bring it out.
 

Mastiff Rider64

Well-Known Member
Your best and safest way to get that bolt out is to remove the swingarm completely that way you have room to work. Then you can try the left handed drill bit but make sure you heat it and then use the WD-40. I'm assuming someone used red Loctite on those bolts. You will need to remove the other shock and be very careful not to break the other one off. If you have a drill press you could drill the bolt out and then clean the threads assuming you don't damage them. depending on your welding skills you could try to weld another bolt to that one and try and back it out but that's going to come down to your welding skills and your patients to back that bolt out.
 

Mastiff Rider64

Well-Known Member
If memory recalls the 2000 model used the narrow body shocks, like the Harley softail customs from 84 to 99. there are a few options, if I'm correct you can use harley shocks, or order some from WildSteed Worx, or get you a drag specialties catalog and find some in there. Depending on weight and riding style you may have to change the internal spring or order a set with the correct spings.
 
Top