Question on 300 tires on 05 Pitbull

shawn s

Hello, My names Shawn and i live in Montana. Just got my 1st Dog an 05 Pitbull that is in need of some new skins. This forum is truly awesome and have gained so much knowledge from the site and you folks. The shinko 300 has been talked about on some of the forums and seem to be generally a pretty decent tire. My ? is has anyone ever had any clearance problems with the belt with these? I have avons now and they are real close. I run shinkos on both my Harleys and have had great luck with them over the years. thank you so much you guys really appreciate any info i can get

41bigdawg

Let the Big Dawg eat !
Supporting Member
Some of us have had clearance issues with the belt. I did with my 07 K9 and I put in a drive pulley spacer and that solved the problem. I am very happy with the Shinko 300 and Shinko in general have run them on all my bikes for years.

Coolbreezin

This is my first Shinko, but have been rolling (and roasting) on it for about 2 years now. Never had a traction or clearance issue. My install was an easy bolt on. I have about a quarters thickness of clearance from the belt.

mleach72

What tire pressure is everyone running in the rear? I read on here that some guys are running 36 instead of the recommended 42. At 42, the tire wears very quickly down the center. I dropped to 36, and it does seem to be slowing the wear down. I guess because more of the tire is supporting the bike's weight. It actually makes the ride a little softer, too. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it does! On a rigid, every little bit helps!

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
What tire pressure is everyone running in the rear? I read on here that some guys are running 36 instead of the recommended 42. At 42, the tire wears very quickly down the center. I dropped to 36, and it does seem to be slowing the wear down. I guess because more of the tire is supporting the bike's weight. It actually makes the ride a little softer, too. I didn't think it would make a difference, but it does! On a rigid, every little bit helps!
I run 32 on my wife's Tejas, gives her some nice cushion on the rigid.

Th3InfamousI

Administrator
Staff member
I think 42 is too much as well, but really the tire pressure is also dependent on riders weight and if you ride 2 up or not will also.

I'm about 170lbs, I run 35-36 in the k9 and 33-34 on on the rigid. Seems to be the best wear

Just try a pressure and see how it wears for a few thousand just slowly drop it down till you dial it in for your style took me a few tires but now I can get 8-10k easy out of the older Avon cobras haven't ran that new chrome one yet.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jwooky

The problem with running low pressure is the sidewall flexing generates a lot of heat. The heat will age and harden the tire.

I have heard numbers like for every 1 psi below 40 will generate 10 degrees additional heat.

bdm7250

Guru
Supporting Member
The problem with running low pressure is the sidewall flexing generates a lot of heat. The heat will age and harden the tire.

I have heard numbers like for every 1 psi below 40 will generate 10 degrees additional heat.
Might be the case on a standard motorcycle tire, but with the wider tires there is far less sidewall and not much flex.

Reactions: LHS

LHS

I’m 6’2” and weigh 250 and I ride alone/ can’t get DEB on the Rigid LOL. I run 32 PSI in my 330 Avon venom and it recommends 42 psi. I’ve got about 2300 miles on it so far and it’s Wearing good so far. It definitely smoothed the ride out some and it corners better as well. I’ve got to agree with BDM7250 isn’t much sidewall there to flex and bring the heat up (what maybe an inch )My last Avon Venom I ran at the factory recommended psi and it wore a strip about 4 inches wide down to nothing in the center. Need to do what the Th3InfamousI Suggested Set it at a pressure like maybe 5 below factory spec and See how it wears.541A5A57-E09E-4602-91B9-6D63A344E373.jpeg

shawn s

fast forward i put this on my 05 pitbull and it actually had a little more belt clearance than the avon venom that was on it had